Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

I got my UofA admission offer at around 1:09PM (MST) today! Was super sad because I thought I wasn't going to hear back from them, but I guess they were just taking their time :) 

I'm IP with ~3.94 GPA and quite a bit of relevant OT experience (rehab assistant in longterm care, special needs assistant, some COVID research, etc.), just hoping to hear back from Ontario schools because I'm really looking to get out of this province haha

8 hours ago, OT_applicant said:

How much does the U of A waitlist move? Does anyone that has applied in previous cycles have an idea? And what can we ask admissions about the waitlist? If we email asking on may 20th, can we expect to have them tell us how many people have been sent out offers from the waitlist? 

Yes! I applied last year- they said that in the year 2020, over half of the waitlisted folk got off! 

In 2021 however, I was at the top of the list and never got off. I emailed them once per month like they say is allowed, and the only thing they can indicate is the movement level relative to other years, plus where you are on the list. Unfortunately nothing about how many spots have moved. 

Good luck :) 

Got my waitlist offer for UofA, I'm from Ontario. I was notified I'm in the middle, don't know if its a long shot of getting off the waitlist since I'm in the middle :( would anyone from past years know how fast it moves or if applicants from middle have gotten off the waitlist? I did also apply to the states for OT and got accepted but I prefer staying in Canada, super confused now! 

2 hours ago, otWOW said:

Havent heard from U of A OT yet :( Does that mean my application was rejected??? I have a 3.92 sGPA and 4th quartile on Casper. 

no they start sending out offer letters may 14th or 18th, it says on their website

Nvm thats for uOttawa! my mistake

2 hours ago, OTPT2022HOPE said:

Got my waitlist offer for UofA, I'm from Ontario. I was notified I'm in the middle, don't know if its a long shot of getting off the waitlist since I'm in the middle :( would anyone from past years know how fast it moves or if applicants from middle have gotten off the waitlist? I did also apply to the states for OT and got accepted but I prefer staying in Canada, super confused now! 

I applied to the states too

18 minutes ago, PT_92 said:

If you don't mind me asking. What was your gpa and previous experience like?

Last year I had a sGPA of 3.74 and had minimal experience, but I did volunteer with/shadow a Physio for a year. I think the reason I wasn't accepted was because of my French test (French is my second language).

After being waitlisted I took some courses to boost my gpa and got a job as a kinesiologist, volunteered with Exercise is Medicine & a Cardiac program at my undergrad university! My sGPA is now around 3.85/3.9 and I've been accepted to PT at Dal (NB resident).

12 hours ago, OT_applicant said:

How much does the U of A waitlist move? Does anyone that has applied in previous cycles have an idea? And what can we ask admissions about the waitlist? If we email asking on may 20th, can we expect to have them tell us how many people have been sent out offers from the waitlist? 

I was waitlisted in the top section last year and got in in July 

Hi everyone! I'm desperate to get into the OT program at UWO as it is the only one I applied to but I am afraid my sGPA (3.48... rounded to 3.5?) isn't competitive and neither is my CASPer. (50-75th percentile) I know alot of you applied to different schools too, if y'all have the option to choose because you got accepted to more than one place, please don't pick western and leave the chances high that a space is open for me LOOL. I am only playing, but I do feel so hopeless to the point where I wanted to troll post on this sophisticated OT forum I've been following for the last year. Good luck to you all and I hope you get into the schools you want! Fellow applicants to Western for OT, what are your GPAs and is it unlikely that someone with my GPA would get in? I have roughly a year of experience that is related to OT that I put on my statement, but I heard Western doesn't even use those as part of the admission decision. :/

5 hours ago, Othopeful2022fall said:

Has anyone not heard anything from u of a OT? I am out of province (not part of the sk cohort though) and have yet to receive anything from u of a! Just wondering as I need to accept/decline ubc by May 15

I also haven’t heard! I’m OOP as well! Are you hoping to go to UofA - if accepted?

1 hour ago, 2022hopefulOT said:

Hi everyone! I'm desperate to get into the OT program at UWO as it is the only one I applied to but I am afraid my sGPA (3.48... rounded to 3.5?) isn't competitive and neither is my CASPer. (50-75th percentile) I know alot of you applied to different schools too, if y'all have the option to choose because you got accepted to more than one place, please don't pick western and leave the chances high that a space is open for me LOOL. I am only playing, but I do feel so hopeless to the point where I wanted to troll post on this sophisticated OT forum I've been following for the last year. Good luck to you all and I hope you get into the schools you want! Fellow applicants to Western for OT, what are your GPAs and is it unlikely that someone with my GPA would get in? I have roughly a year of experience that is related to OT that I put on my statement, but I heard Western doesn't even use those as part of the admission decision. :/

Hey, I'm in a bit of a similar situation actually. I applied to western with an sGPA of 3.54, but I did have a 4th quartile Casper. I also have about 4-5 years of student athletic trainer experience (ie. injury taping and rehab for sports). Hoping for the best, but i did see someone in 2021 say they got into western OT last year with a 3.4 gpa! Fingers crossed for you 

On 4/27/2022 at 11:55 AM, Let_Me_in said:

After getting rejected for 4 years, I finally got in a PT program (QY at McGill). I guess 5 try's is all it took! I'm just posting this here as I know many of you, like myself, are anxiously waiting for the results mid May and those of you who unfortunately do get rejected should never give up hope. If PT or OT is something you truly want to pursue keep trying! Hopefully this gives someone some hope or encouragement and don't hesitate to reach out if your are struggling or need some help in this brutal process.

Thanks so much for sharing! Do you mind if I ask what your GPA was? :)

1 hour ago, 2022hopefulOT said:

There’s always a chance, you never know what the applicant pool looks like! However I will be totally honest and say that last year I was rejected from Western and waitlisted elsewhere with a a 3.78 sGPA, strong Casper, and lots of relevant experience. After taking a year to bump my GPA up to a 3.86 and working for an OT for a year, I have now gotten into to the OT program I wanted! My advice to you is to not lose hope if this year doesn’t pan out, and take some time to strengthen your app for future years :) I promise the perseverance is worth it 

1 minute ago, OTuofahopeful said:

There’s always a chance, you never know what the applicant pool looks like! However I will be totally honest and say that last year I was rejected from Western and waitlisted elsewhere with a a 3.78 sGPA, strong Casper, and lots of relevant experience. After taking a year to bump my GPA up to a 3.86 and working for an OT for a year, I have now gotten into to the OT program I wanted! My advice to you is to not lose hope if this year doesn’t pan out, and take some time to strengthen your app for future years :) I promise the perseverance is worth it 

Hey I was just wondering if you also applied to Queens/what your results were there?

1 minute ago, Otapplicant22 said:

Hey I was just wondering if you also applied to Queens/what your results were there?

I did last year and was also rejected, however my cGPA was much lower than my sGPA and queens looks at all 4 years of undergrad. Also I am OOP, and I believe both western and queens give preference to ON residents!