Premed 101 Forums

Tips for self-teaching

Just started my first year of medical school.

A lot of schools focuses a lot on self-teaching here in canada. (Basically there is little to no lectures). We have to read through tons of pages of reference and it is difficult to identify high yield concept and what is important.

what advice or ressource can you give which can help direct my studies and basically focus on important thing and not waste precious time on irrelevant concepts.

I'm having the same difficulties if it's any consolation. I'm spending hours trying to teach myself some concepts (and I never know when I'm done) and I lament the days in undergrad when a well-spoken professor could explain the concept in simple terms. This idea of "self-teaching" in medical school is definitely an interesting one...getting used to it but at the moment I really do miss just having lectures lol 

Here's my tip:

- Use First Aid for USMLE step 1 and 2 as guide. They show you all the high yield topics

- They are very condensed, so you need to supplement them.

- Look at Youtube, there are tons of great content creators. They explain a topic 100x better than most profs.

- do some practice questions, again tons of free ones online for USMLE.

- don't bother reading big textbooks. They're too detailed and doesn't tell you what's important.

- if you want to study a specific area (eg ob/gyn), buy first aid series for clerkship and find the appropriate field.

- repeat above steps for whatever area.

- for OSCE, again use Youtube, imitate all the moves and questions until you can do them yourself

- for exam, use flashcards/anki, again tons of free resources online.

I wrote in an older post about Youtube videos a while back so I am repeating myself, but to learn well from YT videos (eg Osmosis, armado hasugan, etc and a bunch of other content creators)

- don't just watch the topic once, watch it frequently over your rotation. 

- don't just stick with 1 content creator, watch multiple videos on the same topic, adds different POV

- collect videos into a playlist or download them. sometimes they're taken off YT later for whatever reason.

- don't passively watch, if they mention a pneumonic, say it out loud yourself, write it down a few times. Buy a cheap whiteboard from dollar store and copy it.

- same for diagrams and charts, always copy them yourself, never passively just look at it.

- find another classmate to quiz each other

- convert the video into audio so you can listen to them during your commute

36 minutes ago, shikimate said:

Here's my tip:

- Use First Aid for USMLE step 1 and 2 as guide. They show you all the high yield topics

- They are very condensed, so you need to supplement them.

- Look at Youtube, there are tons of great content creators. They explain a topic 100x better than most profs.

- do some practice questions, again tons of free ones online for USMLE.

- don't bother reading big textbooks. They're too detailed and doesn't tell you what's important.

- if you want to study a specific area (eg ob/gyn), buy first aid series for clerkship and find the appropriate field.

- repeat above steps for whatever area.

- for OSCE, again use Youtube, imitate all the moves and questions until you can do them yourself

- for exam, use flashcards/anki, again tons of free resources online.

Lots of a good advice esp big textbooks.  

But, I would suggest not spending too much time  on Step 1 review/resources (although being good for pathology), but perhaps using more Step 2ish alternative options like AMBOSS (which does have a lot of basic/fundamental science material and is also online/interactive).  AMBOSS also has MCCQE-1 focused material.

7 hours ago, shikimate said:

Osmosis is really good. A lot of their videos used to be free, but now I think some are only for premium subscribers. 

Agree, and in my experience the Osmosis subscription was worth it. I also found Online Med Ed very helpful but the subscription was too $$$ to keep up with - videos are free if you watch ads.

• 2 weeks later...