Premed 101 Forums

Applying to 2 specialties

15 hours ago, Future_MD35 said:

Hi everyone,

I am a med3 who has been interested in anesthesia and radiology after shadowing both if them and was wondering if I can apply to both of them for my carms cycle. Or would it look as a red flag or being uncommitted if electives are divided between 2 specialties? 

Thank you in advance 

If it's somewhat equal you can go to interviews for each and say "I was undecided until late between X and Y but then you can argue why your X experience would be an asset as a Y". If you do 9 X electives and 1 Y elective, the Y application is going to very obviously be a backup and may get less appreciation. The problem is with some specialties, it's so compeditive that 50% of your electives in it is not enough.

This is normal, but sadly some people get burned by applying to only two moderately competitive specialties. But still, I think the majority who do this end up fine and they often apply across the country to maximize chances. I don't think it is viewed as a "red flag"...that term is thrown too loosely. I think of those as like professionalism lapses/cheating/failing years etc.

This is all anecdotes on my part though.