Premed 101 Forums

Interview proportion at schools like UofA and Uof Sask

Guest ChinaMan2004

Guest ChinaMan2004

Hi all,

I been trying to prepare for my interview for the upcoming UofSask interview and then i thought about it: just how true it is when UofA and UofSask say they only take interview as 10 or 15% of their evaluation process?

According to some first year student in UofA, they do believe they are attending a very acadmic school, so if it is only 10% worth for their interview, they would believe it....

But I still hear people saying that this is not true; that UofS and UofA actually use interview at a higher proportion...i mean...just what exactly is it?

Any opinions and past experiences to share?? 8o

NC

Guest shesallDAT

If they did use it at a higher percentage, how would anyone REALLY know? :b I guess we have to take their word for it.

I know that U of A makes the distinction between the "successful" and "unsuccessful" interview. That is, if your interview is "unsuccessful", you're eliminated from the applicant pool regardless of other stats. :x I'm guessing one's interview has to be pretty bad for this to happen. But, if you have a "successful" interview then the score gets added on as 10% of your final score.

Guest ChinaMan2004

That's right shesalldat, i know other schools took the same approach as well.. like UBC sets their line at 50% of the raw score below which the file of the candidate is automatically eliminated.

Uof S speaks of the samething on their website... so I guess you are right that we can only take their words for it... :) ...

But come to think of it, i believe this rumor about "higher proportion" must somehow come out becoz people who have brilliant stats ended up landing at no where.....

very much like the case in interviewee selection at UWO where some people with killing stats received nothing...so people start suspecting a sepcial formula other than the one told by Trish or posted on the web...well, again.... i am just suspecting, too = )

NC

Guest Dent08

You are suggesting that U of A does not weight their application criteria as they claim?

#1) Why would they lie?

#2) Can you prove otherwise?

#3) They can pick whoever they want

Guest orlinmyer

The interview could be worth 5% but it would still matter. The last couple of years at USask the people who were on the bubble and missed out, missed out by around a tenth of a point for their total score. So while the interview isn't much, it still counts a lot based on how competitive everything is. I'd bet that one extra point would count for at least ten spots.

Guest ChinaMan2004

Dent08...

i think it's not a matter of why they would lie. I would bring a question like that simply becoz there are ppl around suspecting the reasons why they did not get in while possessing amazing GPA and DAT score. I know it is a more or a rumor-like suspision than a hard-knock truth type. But you see, people are just justified in asking questions like that when they believe (and others,too) that with their stats they should get in for sure. So I simply ask this question to draw some thoughts on it...8o

As to even take a step further to prove it, I think you might misunderstand my intention. Becoz i m not here to scare anyone, since i AM the one who is scared now. So I am not up to bring u guys any confusion or false information. But RATHER, I hope someone can clarify this information :) and finally, i think your right, and this question ceases the previous two, becoz they simply have the right to pick anyone so long as they have the right justification.

Maybe a better idea is to have previous ppl interviewed at that place speak out their stats, their interview standin (if available), and the final outcome. That way we dun have to suspect anymore:rollin

Yeah, i think Orlinmyer's argument sounds feasible, too... n in that sense, it doesn't matter how much the interview score weights, becoz every tiny bit of difference IS a difference :P

NC

Guest sensodyne

Chinaman,

why don't you just focus on your interview and stop worrying about how much it's worth. Would it really make a difference to you if the interview was worth 50% or 5%? You'll still want to do well on it right b/c every little bit counts now.

Also, why would the adcom lie about how much the interview is worth? Do you think they would tell you even if they had a special formula that no one but they know about? I know waiting for these interviews and their results can be a long haul but the only thing you can control is how you answer those interview questions. The rest is up to them and not you.

good luck on your u of s interview.

Guest Dent08

At U of A, you can have perfect GPA and DAT scores, but if you don't have a "successful" interview you are rejected immediately.

I don't think the admissions office is out to trick anyone. :)

Guest ChinaMan2004

I think it's more of a "security" thing?

Because I know I can't do too much about my interview! Yes, I can try to reason, try to sound professional and try all that...but afterall, a native english speaker who knows how to BS might still win over effortlessly. Having said that, it comforts me to know how much interview worth; becoz the less it weights, the less psychological "weight" it imposes on me. Hope this explains why :P

After 8 yrs of residence in Canada, I like this place! I wanna stay here and develop my career here. But having made that decision means i will have to compete with people who are born and/or grown up here. This along is a huge burden to think about... But you see, I am not giving it up simply becoz it's a hard thing to overcome. Rather I go on tackling it, it is also in this sense the weighting of the interview suddenly means a lot to me :)

Nevertheless, thanks dude for your words!! At least there are people who are willing to take the time and help others :D and yeah, it's true adcom shouldn't be out to trick anyone = )... well, guess i will focus, perform, and leave it all to God!!

Appreciate it!

NC

Guest Dent08

Don't stress out about it. As long as you can clearly explain your answers you'll be fine. The point of the interview is to get to know you, not to grade your english.

Archived