Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisted for interview - What's next?

MapleKiwi

I wonder how many candidates are waitlisted and also the odds of getting an interview... Too bad we don't really know our rank.

Based on previous threads, there are people that gets off the waiting list till near the interview dates! 

We should create a support group for those that got waitlisted to keep us updated!

Yes, I can share my experience form two years ago. I was on the waitlist and could see a couple of people getting off the waitlist in the first 24h and then… there wasn’t much movement tbh. When I got my rankings in the summer I was 60+ people behind the last person interviewed so go figure! I feel it can really go either way, but that year, a lot of people were on the waitlist for sure…. 

1 hour ago, xdfghj1234 said:

Yes, I can share my experience form two years ago. I was on the waitlist and could see a couple of people getting off the waitlist in the first 24h and then… there wasn’t much movement tbh. When I got my rankings in the summer I was 60+ people behind the last person interviewed so go figure! I feel it can really go either way, but that year, a lot of people were on the waitlist for sure…. 

wow i didn't know the pre interview waitlist would go so high! do you mind if i ask what ur rank was just out of curiosity (you can DM me if you don't want to share on here) ? 

Yeah of course, I don’t mind. I just had to go digging back in my emails. I ranked 300/1100 for that year. But if I remember well, it was still in person interviews so they probably had less interview spots (because I really remember calculating with the 2020 year stats that I was 60+ people behind the last person interviewed)

5 hours ago, xdfghj1234 said:

What cohort were you in, if you don't mind me asking? IP or OOP? 

I can speak to my experience! I applied for fall entry 2020, IP, with no preference for language re: interviews. Interview invites came out on the 24th of January and I had been waitlisted. On the 28th of January, I received an interview invite for French MMIs ~8pm but Minerva had updated to request the additional documents before I got an email about it. 

Good luck folks! Waitlists are super stressful, so take care <3.  

Im not sure if this helps, but the emails for invites were sent friday night and in the email you're given three business days to either accept or decline the invitation to interview. So maybe you'll start seeing some movement before this Wednesday if people decline, but maybe more substantial movement on Thursday after that deadline has passed 

On 1/21/2022 at 2:14 PM, xdfghj1234 said:

ok that is a bit extreme for a waitlist.......I get the school is making sure it has some wiggle room with applicants/scheduling but at some point that starts to get a bit ridiculous. In what scenario would 60+ people decline a med school interview or more (and on top of that some people did get off the waitlist). 

8 hours ago, fluffybunnyyyyy said:

I got off the waitlisted this evening! I'm in total shock.... I didn't think i would get off. Best of luck to those waiting! 

Congrats on getting off the waitlist!!! How did they contact you? Did you get a call or email or did your status update on Minerva first?