Premed 101 Forums

Updated info about pathology

Just decided to come back and check out this forum almost 10 years later after starting medical school (while procrastinating studying for the RC exam...)! Feels so wild to be through the other side, in my last year of residency, with fellowship and job lined up. 

Wanted to make a thread for any pre-med or med school students who are at all interested in pathology and have any questions about the field. Happy to help answer any questions!

Cheers

19 hours ago, bee23 said:

Just decided to come back and check out this forum almost 10 years later after starting medical school (while procrastinating studying for the RC exam...)! Feels so wild to be through the other side, in my last year of residency, with fellowship and job lined up. 

Wanted to make a thread for any pre-med or med school students who are at all interested in pathology and have any questions about the field. Happy to help answer any questions!

Cheers

Thanks for offering to do this, I am a current medical student dealing with an interest in pathology vs clinical medicine. Lots of questions!

For those of us starting the CARMs tour soon and now that your are finishing residency, what would you look for in a pathology residency program? Can you comment on any of the pathology programs across Canada? Which ones do you feel train competent physicians for independent sign out without requiring fellowship?

Can you comment on what the job outlook is across Canada for pathology? Potential for non-employeed positions or starting your own practice - I realize most Pathologist jobs are generally employed/contracted by the province or hospital? What does the future of pathology look like in Canada - for example will there be continued centralization of laboratory services or will general pathologists still remain in demand at community locations, digital pathology? 

Any thoughts on the name change from "anatomic pathology" to "diagnostic and molecular pathology"?

Any idea on the competitiveness of Canadian forensic pathology fellowships?

So I was looking at some Pathologist's Assistant jobs in USA and they're paying 135-150K. 

I mean not even a PGY5 gets paid close to that much money.

Like starting salary for academic path in USA is maybe 175K.  Jobs at VA tops around maybe 225K.

No wonder every hospital wants to open up a residency program lol.

lol.

32 minutes ago, shikimate said:

So I was looking at some Pathologist's Assistant jobs in USA and they're paying 135-150K. 

I mean not even a PGY5 gets paid close to that much money.

Like starting salary for academic path in USA is maybe 175K.  Jobs at VA tops around maybe 225K.

No wonder every hospital wants to open up a residency program lol.

lol.

Do you think Canadian pathology programs should be more selective?

Hey thanks for this! M3 here leaning toward path & trying to decide which path discipline would be best for me.

1. I know conventional wisdom is general pathology for rural areas, anatomical pathology otherwise (large or mid-size city). Is this still the case?

2. Can doctors who completed a neuropath/hemepath residency (direct entry R1, not fellowship post-AP/GP) work in the US? Or would you need to do AP/GP in order to keep that door open?

3. Is digital pathology with remote work available in Canada yet? If not, any thoughts on if it will become a thing in the next 10ish years? Or are we really far away from that?

4. For salaried pathologists working for a hospital, do they typically get benefits that other salaried employees get (e.g. a pension)?

1) mostly true, except AP in mid to large cities now almost invariably require a fellowship (or two).

2) I don't think you'd be eligible to write ABPath exam, but remember in USA you don't need to be board certified to get a license.

3) ya it's happening already. It'll probably accelerate in the next 10 years, same with AI. I wish the next generation good luck.

4) yes you do, but it's becoming rarer and rarer. Hospital would rather you are an independent contractor. Like nobody wants to pay your 150K pension between ages 65 and 95 for 30 years lol.

On 1/25/2022 at 10:45 AM, shikimate said:

1) mostly true, except AP in mid to large cities now almost invariably require a fellowship (or two).

2) I don't think you'd be eligible to write ABPath exam, but remember in USA you don't need to be board certified to get a license.

3) ya it's happening already. It'll probably accelerate in the next 10 years, same with AI. I wish the next generation good luck.

4) yes you do, but it's becoming rarer and rarer. Hospital would rather you are an independent contractor. Like nobody wants to pay your 150K pension between ages 65 and 95 for 30 years lol.

Thanks for this!
I'm surprised to hear that pathologists are more often independent contractors now. I had always heard they were typically salaried employees.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I know that rankings should be taken with a grain of salt generally, but is there a ranking of Canadian path programs akin to doximity for US programs? Addiontally, I have heard/seen in other threads that McMaster has perhaps had more workplace friction than other programs. Would that still be the case? Thank you!