Premed 101 Forums

UofA Interview Invites/Regrets 2022

Hi all, looks like these emails are starting to be distributed. Good luck to everyone :)

TIME STAMP: 2022-02-09 9:40 AM

Result: Invite

wGPA: 3.91

MCAT: 523 130/132/130/131 (CPBS/CARS/BBFL/PSBB)

Casper: 4th quartile

ECs: Lots of work experience (applying to med after years in another career) with a good amount of leadership, some volunteering (mostly in the past 5 years), and I felt strongly about my personal achievements/goals

Year: Graduated undergrad in 2013

Geography: In-province

Invite

TIME STAMP: Feb. 9/2022 - 9:40 AM

wGPA: 4.0 (that was for last year, not sure if how they calculate it this year changed it, 88.1% avg)

MCAT: 513 126/128/130/129 (CPBS/CARS/BBFL/PSBB)

ECs: some long term volunteering (hospital, first responder), leadership, long-standing position as a lifeguard/swim instructor. Life experiences: some hobbies & travel. Personal essays: I would not say it was something out of the ordinary (no crazy achievements, etc.), was trying to be authentic me.

Year: 2021 undergrad completed

Geography: IP

9 minutes ago, preprepremed said:

Hi all, looks like these emails are starting to be distributed. Good luck to everyone :)

wGPA: 3.91

MCAT: 523 130/132/130/131 (CPBS/CARS/BBFL/PSBB)

ECs: Lots of work experience (applying to med after years in another career) with a good amount of leadership, some volunteering (mostly in the past 5 years), and I felt strongly about my personal achievements/goals

Year: 2026

Congrats on the interview! @preprepremed Does the link for booking a time slot work for you? I open it up and it only has a decline button

Result: R

GPA:  4.00

MCAT: 127/128/129/129

ECs: extensive volunteering and employment since 17, worked in front-line healthcare since 2015 in a variety of settings (home care, acute care in hospitals ranging from emerg to internal med, public health), healthcare administrator since 2021 where I'm leading the COVID vaccine rollout to a community of 110,000 people. All references verified my activities. I've received above average scores on my ECs in past cycles (8-9) and only had even more significant activities to add this cycle to replace lower quality entries.

Year: Finished undergrad in 2017

Geography: OOP

That's all for Canada! Fingers crossed for USA despite it being late in their admissions cycle...

21 minutes ago, Med&Coffee said:

If you go to your launchpad and click on "application proof", the PDF with your application has an ID # on it, top right corner

I don’t have that on my PDF, strange. 

Last year, when I asked which number to use, they told me to use the reference number in on the top right of the launchpad. 

1 minute ago, Catsandstuff said:

I don’t have that on my PDF, strange. 

Last year, when I asked which number to use, they told me to use the reference number in on the top right of the launchpad. 

Oh, did not see it! Yep, it is the same #. And it displays if you download the PDF, not open in browser :)

Invite 

TIME STAMP: Feb 9, 2022 @ 9:40 AM to UAlberta Email 

wGPA: 3.4X

MCAT: 515 (128/127/128/132)

Casper: 4th 

ECs: Diverse employment opportunities one of them being research, lots of volunteer hours in mentorship/leadership style roles. 

Year: 2020 undergrad, 2022 Course-based masters 

Geography: IP, Rural 

Posting for my below average GPA people, because I really didn't think it was going to happen for me! 

Invite!

TIME STAMP: Feb 9, 2022, 10:05

wGPA: 3.41

MCAT: 510 (126/127/128/129)

Casper: 3rd q

ECs: I talked a lot about my experiences as a disabled person, and growing up with a sibling with autism, and the difficulties of managing that in rural Alberta. Also talked about my research, and as the VP for my sorority. 

Year: 2018 BSc, 2020 Thesis-based masters 

Geography: Rural IP

This is my second invite to interview with u of a, and I’m pretty nervous. I’m not sure if I can do well enough to overcome my low stats. 

Invite :) 

TIME STAMP: Feb. 9/2022 - 9:39 AM

wGPA: 3.65 

MCAT: 519 - 131/126/130/132 

ECs: only a couple short-term typical premed volunteers, a few long-term leadership roles in the community that I really enjoy, research/employment with 4 publications (not in science), unique life experiences 

Year: Bsc and MA completed

Geography: IP

wGPA: 3.84

MCAT: 512  (129/126/129/128)

ECs: Pretty varied, some short term but mostly long term (4-15ish years), hundreds of hours in most activities, a few over a thousand

Year: Graduated 2020, completing a grad degree currently

Absolutely elated!!!!! 3rd-time applicant and first time ever interviewing at U of A. It was becoming hard to believe I would ever get a chance at U of A. For those that did not receive an interview, please do not try to take it to heart. I know this has been repeated ad nauseum, but the sheer competitiveness of this process due to both the caliber of applicants and the scarcity of spots makes this a brutal process. Keep your head up and take some time to decompress. If anyone wants advice or help, I'm always more than willing to do what I can - Just reach out :)