Premed 101 Forums

FM+1 Emerg- What to do in residency?

canlrn96

I know it seems very "gunnerish" to post this so soon after match day, however the rather quick turnaround for Enhanced Skills Match and the competitiveness of the program makes it seem reasonable. 

My fam program appears to have 2 blocks (8weeks) of elective time in year one and plenty in year 2. So it seems that for the purposes of the +1 match, these first year ones would be relevant for reference letters and such. 

Other than obviously using those 2 electives for emergency medicine, what should you being doing on the side in order to be the most competitive applicant you can be?

Cheers

On 4/25/2022 at 9:57 AM, canlrn96 said:

I know it seems very "gunnerish" to post this so soon after match day, however the rather quick turnaround for Enhanced Skills Match and the competitiveness of the program makes it seem reasonable. 

My fam program appears to have 2 blocks (8weeks) of elective time in year one and plenty in year 2. So it seems that for the purposes of the +1 match, these first year ones would be relevant for reference letters and such. 

Other than obviously using those 2 electives for emergency medicine, what should you being doing on the side in order to be the most competitive applicant you can be?

Cheers

Be a strong resident in all your rotations, and make sure you do those 2 electives in Emerg or emerg-relevant rotations (icu, trauma etc). Thats about it. Extra stuff like CME, research etc could be helpful, but doing well in all your rotations and emerg ones is the main part for LORS.

If you are going to do ICU as a Family medicine resident, don't do it at an academic centre, unless your residency program is short of residents/fellows in the ICU (they usually are not since alot of FRCPC programs require ICU such as IM, Anesthesia, pretty much all the surgical specialties). I would do it at a community site, but one that is large enough (15 bed ICU) and use to having some residents from time to time.

Otherwise you will be at an academic site you will at the bottom of the rung for all procedures (lines, tubes, resus's etc...)

5 hours ago, ACHQ said:

If you are going to do ICU as a Family medicine resident, don't do it at an academic centre, unless your residency program is short of residents/fellows in the ICU (they usually are not since alot of FRCPC programs require ICU such as IM, Anesthesia, pretty much all the surgical specialties). I would do it at a community site, but one that is large enough (15 bed ICU) and use to having some residents from time to time.

Otherwise you will be at an academic site you will at the bottom of the rung for all procedures (lines, tubes, resus's etc...)

Excellent advice. Very important to be at a site with few learners but one that is still used to learners. 

21 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Be a strong resident in all your rotations, and make sure you do those 2 electives in Emerg or emerg-relevant rotations (icu, trauma etc). Thats about it. Extra stuff like CME, research etc could be helpful, but doing well in all your rotations and emerg ones is the main part for LORS.

Any tips on being a strong resident? Could you give examples of what you've seen residents do that have made you think "wow that person is very strong"?

49 minutes ago, fmgunner said:

Any tips on being a strong resident? Could you give examples of what you've seen residents do that have made you think "wow that person is very strong"?

I can't comment on program specific, as each specialty and program is slightly different in their expectations of residents

But broadly/generally speaking (and I think this is probably universal, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong), a strong resident is one who does not require much guidance, someone you can just let loose and know will get the job done without hand holding. Someone with a strong knowledge base in that area and great presentation skills. Someone who is both effective yet efficient (within each specialty this will be different though, as IM efficiency is much slower than say... surgery). And most importantly someone who can not just present data, but also synthesize it and give a reasonable plan of action with confidence (even if it isn't necessarily the optimum/best plan)

3 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Be independent, but know when to ask for help. Be well read and eager to learn and be practical. Practicality trumps all else IMO. Have some awareness in patient interactions and how to move the day along etc. 

Thanks

What do you do you mean by practical?

Can you give an example of "moving the day along"?

11 hours ago, ACHQ said:

I can't comment on program specific, as each specialty and program is slightly different in their expectations of residents

But broadly/generally speaking (and I think this is probably universal, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong), a strong resident is one who does not require much guidance, someone you can just let loose and know will get the job done without hand holding. Someone with a strong knowledge base in that area and great presentation skills. Someone who is both effective yet efficient (within each specialty this will be different though, as IM efficiency is much slower than say... surgery). And most importantly someone who can not just present data, but also synthesize it and give a reasonable plan of action with confidence (even if it isn't necessarily the optimum/best plan)

Thanks

Any suggestions on how to develop the strong knowledge base? I assume good presentations and efficiency will flow from that. Is it just a question of studying a lot every night around cases you see, and working hard on the academic components of the program (e.g. half days)?

As an FM-EM gunner who did not match:

1. Do em rotations at multiple sites to get you face out there. Your home program may not have many spots. Covid may have changed this so disregard if not allowed anymore. On rotation, be keen and personable. Staff like keen and friendly learners. Could care less about your existing knowledge base. Just be keen to pick up charts, see patients, ask questions. Offer to do scut, write the prescription, call the consultant, discharge the patient. All with a smile.

2. Obtain leadership positions: chief resident, paro, cfms, that type of stuff.

3. Strong reference from your fam med preceptor. This is the most important letter.

4. Research is less important. Wouldn’t waste time on it unless you like it.

5. Show interest by doing courses and attending conferences: ede courses, acls instructor, going to caep, etc.

As a medical student who's potentially interested in this route I was wondering if anyone could entertain this question:

In terms of the CV portion of application to the enhanced skills programs, would things done in medical school (especially the latter half) be relevant? I have a solid amount of emerg ECs currently, wondering if those would be something to carry not only on the initial CaRMS match, but an enhanced skills match as well? Or is it frowned upon to include things done in medical school?

I recognize I'm jumping ahead of myself, but I would love to hear what others have done!

On 4/28/2022 at 2:50 AM, fmgunner said:

Any suggestions on how to develop the strong knowledge base? I assume good presentations and efficiency will flow from that. Is it just a question of studying a lot every night around cases you see, and working hard on the academic components of the program (e.g. half days)?

I would contact someone you know in EM and ask them what resources they use, get your hands on them and use them as a starting point, other than that it will comes down to reading around cases.