Premed 101 Forums

MKSAP for IM residency?

8rue

Hi guys! Just started my IM residency last week. I'm looking for a more formal way of studying other than reading UpToDate. I've always learned better complementing my on-the-job learning with textbooks/QBanks and MKSAP seems pretty well-liked in the US. I want to get it, but I'm also unsure if there are perhaps better ways of studying as a Canadian resident, since I imagine the MKSAP will only be using American values and guidelines, so perhaps it's not the ideal way of setting myself up for success and eventually for the RC exam. Anyone with any experience using MKSAP? Did you like it?

• 3 weeks later...

Recent IM grad here.

PGY-1 and 2 at least at my school if you were reading anything it was MKSAP. I read a few of the books. It's a pretty decent overview, although it can lack depth sometimes. (there's pdf versions floating around the web too). I complemented with guidelines.

PGY-3: Toronto Review slides + IM RC Qbanks + guidelines. Anything else is a waste of time in my opinion. 

RC is obsessed with guidelines. If there's a Canadian guideline, that's what you need to know. Otherwise, they default to the American guideline. For general knowledge, they are often close enough (although sometimes the Canadian ones haven't been updated in a while). You can worry about the details in PGY-3. For now general knowledge is sufficient to start.