Premed 101 Forums

Resident Unions

With the current inflationary environment + rate hikes on LOC debt, on top of residents shouldering a huge amount of the burden of the pandemic, are PARO and the other provincial resident unions negotiating for substantial raises? Residents at Stanford made big news a couple weeks ago for going on strike and their union, CIR (Committee of Interns and Residents) was able to negotiate significant raises and housing stipends. I’m wondering if anyone more knowledgeable about our resident unions can chime in. I understand we have better working conditions compared to American residents but making $60,000 as a new doctor is laughable in today’s economy.

16 hours ago, anotheranon said:

I can't disclose specifics but one of the unions did just announce new contract to be voted on and the raises are incredibly insultingly laughably low. like you would not guess how low, that low. 

If we're thinking of the same province, yeah, that one's a toughie. On one hand, the pay is nowhere near what I want to see. On the other hand, it adds a lot of QoL stuff that I'm 99% sure wouldn't come through arbitration (the result of voting no). So do you swallow a bitter pill now in the hopes of getting something better when it's renegotiated in 2024 (since it's retroactive to 2021)?

2 hours ago, insomnias said:

If we're thinking of the same province, yeah, that one's a toughie. On one hand, the pay is nowhere near what I want to see. On the other hand, it adds a lot of QoL stuff that I'm 99% sure wouldn't come through arbitration (the result of voting no). So do you swallow a bitter pill now in the hopes of getting something better when it's renegotiated in 2024 (since it's retroactive to 2021)?

Can you tell us what kind of QoL stuff? I also wonder if Canadian residents could/would ever strike

5 hours ago, BCelectrophile said:

Can you tell us what kind of QoL stuff? I also wonder if Canadian residents could/would ever strike

We're supposed to keep the details confidential till voted on, so wait until the end of the month I guess. The QoL stuff really just brings this province closer to (not at) par with other provinces, so nothing super exciting.