Premed 101 Forums

Is it worth applying to Western Med if you're below the cutoffs for one of the MCAT sections? + need advice :(

Hi everyone,

I was planning on applying to Western through the Access Pathway but I just got my MCAT score back and got a 517 (131/123/131/132) :(  For me, this exam was a retake for a 125 in CARS (yes I regret retaking the exam now :(). My cGPA is a 3.82 and my best 2 years is a 3.98. I have good ECs and research experience, and I'm currently in grad school right now (starting my second year of MSc). I have not taken CASPer yet. 

CARS makes me lose hope in Canadian med schools and I know the best course of action would be to retake it (even though the thought of that gives me so much anxiety lol), but unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to book a retake and improve my CARS performance before the last possible test date that could be considered for this cycle. My parents don't quite understand how important CARS is here and are seeing my overall score as amazing (I am thankful for it) and telling me to apply anyway. My only option is really McMaster it seems, but we all know the average CARS score is so much higher :(

I guess my question is, is it still worth applying to Western Med's Access Pathway with such a low CARS score? I've saved enough money from my grad school scholarships to apply to medical school myself so money is thankfully not a factor here.. it's more so, is it worth taking the time to write the essays and get the documentation ready for the Access Pathway part of the application?

Would appreciate any insight and help! thank you :(

Unfortunately, ACCESS and SWOMEN only decrease the CARS cutoff to a 125. A 123 will not pass their cutoffs even if granted access. I would recommend that you spend the next cycle working on CARS rather than applying this year. Through targeted practice on stamina, timing, and accuracy, I managed to increase my CARS score from a 124 to a 128 over 5 months of dedicated practice (alongside a FT job). Improvements in CARS are definitely doable. I don't think you should give up on Canadian MDs just yet. Fix that cars and hedge bets on queens/Western. I would recommend looking into US MD as well depending on how many cycles you have applied and how much longer you wish to reapply.

1 hour ago, StressedPremeder said:

Unfortunately, ACCESS and SWOMEN only decrease the CARS cutoff to a 125. A 123 will not pass their cutoffs even if granted access. I would recommend that you spend the next cycle working on CARS rather than applying this year. Through targeted practice on stamina, timing, and accuracy, I managed to increase my CARS score from a 124 to a 128 over 5 months of dedicated practice (alongside a FT job). Improvements in CARS are definitely doable. I don't think you should give up on Canadian MDs just yet. Fix that cars and hedge bets on queens/Western. I would recommend looking into US MD as well depending on how many cycles you have applied and how much longer you wish to reapply.

Thank you so much for your response :) 

This is my first time applying and I noticed the Western site says that "GPA and MCAT minimums ... vary from year to year". Do you know if it's been at 125 for the past few years or is that a recent change? 

I really don't want to give up, just feeling a bit discouraged with CARS. The actual exam didn't feel that difficult and I felt like I got 127+ walking out so it was definitely heartbreaking seeing my score :( congrats on such an amazing improvement :D I hope I can follow in your footsteps! 

US MD is my last choice but it's on my radar.. I just need to be close to family members who are sick since I'm their caregiver but life comes with sacrifices I suppose haha

On 9/24/2022 at 11:05 AM, 1D7 said:

Western's cutoffs are pretty reliable. Historically the few changes that were made have increased cutoffs... I think there was only one time where one of the science sections slightly decreased.

I would generally consider the cutoffs as hard cutoffs.

For the most part! There were a few time where they changed rather dramatically in the more distant past but at least they have held steady for a bit. Extra drama isn't a good thing with med school admissions!