Premed 101 Forums

Are there rules about what you can ask a PD

AB27

5 minutes ago, bearded frog said:

There are not "rules" but there is def stuff they can't answer and def stuff that will come off poorly for you (and stuff that will immediately flag you for DNR...)

Well I'm not gonna ask what their favorite s*x position is lol. Are there any less obvious bad/DNR questions?

You are being assessed on the questions you ask. No questions seems like you do not care. An easily googleable questions seems like you didn't do your homework. Asking how much vacation time etc. seems like you're lazy. The best question would be something related to something unique to you, as another opportunity to sell yourself, and show that you've seriously considered their program.

On 11/28/2022 at 4:34 PM, AB27 said:

Also, what should you ask them?

Come on. You're an adult and this type of thing is common sense if you have ever had a job interview or worked anywhere in your life. You're graduating medical school and applying for residency and you're telling us that you can't think of a single appropriate question to ask a PD of the program you want to be accepted to....

On 11/29/2022 at 11:43 PM, bearded frog said:

You are being assessed on the questions you ask. No questions seems like you do not care. An easily googleable questions seems like you didn't do your homework. Asking how much vacation time etc. seems like you're lazy. The best question would be something related to something unique to you, as another opportunity to sell yourself, and show that you've seriously considered their program.

I should mention I'm in 2nd year and this would be a more informal chat with my home school PD, not a CaRMs interview, would that change this advice at all?

2 hours ago, robclem21 said:

Come on. You're an adult and this type of thing is common sense if you have ever had a job interview or worked anywhere in your life. You're graduating medical school and applying for residency and you're telling us that you can't think of a single appropriate question to ask a PD of the program you want to be accepted to....

I can think of a lot of questions, but I'm not sure if they are inappropriate to ask. For example:

What kind of things is the program looking for or raise red flags?

Thoughts about dual applying

Work hours and wellness 

Each of these, although sincere and important questions to me could be taken negatively depending on how you look at it and for the first, I'm not sure if PDs are allowed to discuss the admissions process like that. I can also think of interview type questions to make myself seem interested and informed but I'm in 2nd year, not interviewing so idk if that's appropriate/necessary. Not sure why being hesitant here is so crazy to you...

Also for most jobs I've had I say I have no questions because I don't care about whatever construction/fast food job like that. 

If you really want to ask some pointed questions, here are some suggestions. Do so with discretion.

- what is their RC and American board pass rate in the last 10-20 years?

- what proportion of their residents go onto fellowship vs job directly out of residency?

- what proportion of their residents have a full time job within 3 years of graduating from their residency?

- how many residents have switched out of the program in the last 10 years?

- what proportion of their residents are retained as staff after residency/fellowship?

- in their department, what is the compensation model? FFS? Salary? AFP? 

- has the program ever received "intent to withdraw" accreditation status with the RC?

17 hours ago, AB27 said:

I can think of a lot of questions, but I'm not sure if they are inappropriate to ask. For example:

What kind of things is the program looking for or raise red flags?

Thoughts about dual applying

Work hours and wellness 

Each of these, although sincere and important questions to me could be taken negatively depending on how you look at it and for the first, I'm not sure if PDs are allowed to discuss the admissions process like that. I can also think of interview type questions to make myself seem interested and informed but I'm in 2nd year, not interviewing so idk if that's appropriate/necessary. Not sure why being hesitant here is so crazy to you...

Also for most jobs I've had I say I have no questions because I don't care about whatever construction/fast food job like that. 

There will be lots of times during the CaRMS process, which you are still quite a ways away from (and probably shouldn't even really be worrying about this yet), where you will have to use discretion in what and who you ask things to. You could ask PDs, staff, residents, senior medical students. This is where you have to use the little voice in your head and ask yourself "how will I be perceived if I ask this question" and "is there a way I can frame this question/get this answer to make it more appropriate". Everyone/PDs may have different opinions on what is or is not okay based on their personalities, experience, relationships with residents, medical students, etc.

The initial question in this post is a bit crazy to me because there is no universal answer and these things require judgement from the candidate when interacting with these people to gauge these things. There are ways to get answers to all these questions and ways not to, and thats not a tact that can be expressed in an answer here. Even some of the questions above about salary/funding models may raise eyebrows from staff/residents at the medical student level (or may not depending who/how you ask)