Premed 101 Forums

Why not rad onc?

Its really dependent on what you are wanting in your career. Both careers have their own pros and cons.

I personally chose radiology cause I feel like its quite intellectually stimulating for me - I have always been interested in figuring out what the issue is aka diagnostic side of medicine, so radiology fit perfectly. 

We see all the coolest things that come into hospital so the variety of pathologies we see are probably unmatched.

We dont get as much patient interaction but there are still interactions with your colleagues that can be satisfying when you are able to help guide management. And if I wanted to, I could do more intervention heavy subspecialties including IR, MSK, abdo to have that patient interaction later in my career.

Hope this helps!

The main thing I'd be concerned about is losing work. Medonc's armamentarium has tremendously grown this past decade, and it looks like it's continuing to grow (one of the largest areas of scientific research). IR has a low level but constant presence in targeted oncologic work and if anything will likely expand. Theranostics will likely be shared or done by nuclear medicine departments (all the room space is already in the nuclear departments). Radonc's own recent studies mostly focus on doing fewer radiation fractions... the main new development was in oligometastases, which does not offset the decreased radiation utilization in other areas.