Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

• 2 weeks later...
congrats, mig174! you must have really impressed them to get accepted so quickly

I guess so. I thought with my numbers, which are below the average for accepted undergrads into the MD program alone, I would have been at the bottom of the pile. This just underscores the importance of the interview - which, if going by PM101 wisdom, is not supposed to be too important for UofT. So for those still in limbo, prepare well for the interview regardless of your GPA!

I guess so. I thought with my numbers, which are below the average for accepted undergrads into the MD program alone, I would have been at the bottom of the pile. This just underscores the importance of the interview - which, if going by PM101 wisdom, is not supposed to be too important for UofT. So for those still in limbo, prepare well for the interview regardless of your GPA!

Congrats man! Quick question were you first author on your 2 publications? And do you know the impact factors of the journals you submitted to?

I just want to get a sense of the importance of those two criteria with the admissions committee.

Thanks

Congrats man! Quick question were you first author on your 2 publications? And do you know the impact factors of the journals you submitted to?

I just want to get a sense of the importance of those two criteria with the admissions committee.

Thanks

Thanks. I was 2nd author on both. Journal is new, isn't indexed by ISI yet. However, my h-index would be 2 (one paper cited 4 times). I also got to present the findings an international conference, and so was 1st author on the poster.

I was 3rd and 5th author on 2 different conference presentations (by labmates) for projects different from the one I got publications for. Also 1st and only author on a review I wrote for an undergrad journal. Also, a bunch of poster/powerpoint presentations for summer research programs, but everyone who does summer research has those...

I'm not sure if publications are terribly important (I think I'm just lucky to have joined a project in the lab that gave me an opportunity to publish - many projects for undergrads aren't like that) unless they're supported by informative letters of reference that talk about your research potential. I've been with my PI for 3 years, and he must have written me a good one.

Thanks. I was 2nd author on both. Journal is new, isn't indexed by ISI yet. However, my h-index would be 2 (one paper cited 4 times). I also got to present the findings an international conference, and so was 1st author on the poster.

I was 3rd and 5th author on 2 different conference presentations (by labmates) for projects different from the one I got publications for. Also 1st and only author on a review I wrote for an undergrad journal. Also, a bunch of poster/powerpoint presentations for summer research programs, but everyone who does summer research has those...

I'm not sure if publications are terribly important (I think I'm just lucky to have joined a project in the lab that gave me an opportunity to publish - many projects for undergrads aren't like that) unless they're supported by informative letters of reference that talk about your research potential. I've been with my PI for 3 years, and he must have written me a good one.

Thanks and congratulations again...very impressive. Good luck to you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Ok.. this always boggles my mind but how do people not have 3.95+ GPAs after U of T drops their lowest SIX(!) courses.....
Not everyone gets an A+(4.0) in every course. If the majority of your grades are A-s and As, then the weighting won't really alter the GPA that much and you won't be getting 3.90+. I can't see how this would really boggle your mind.

Ok.. this always boggles my mind but how do people not have 3.95+ GPAs after U of T drops their lowest SIX(!) courses.....

Not everyone qualifies for the weighting...In fact lots of people don't. Lots of people also have more than 6 not-so-stellar marks out of the 40 courses they took. This shouldn't "boggle" your mind, it is quite normal.