Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

GPA 3.98 (1st two yrs...will be 4.0 this yr...so 3.99 on next yrs app)

13/14/14/R

UBC (from Vancouver)

Waitlisted. I'm devastated. :( Got into UWO and Queen's - but don't want to live in London or Kingston.

Does this waitlist move. I'm also on the IP waitlist at UBC.

These are incredibly serious stats.... but many people never get into medical school, so I'd be pretty happy to be going to either Western or Queen's personally. 41R.... yikes.

After looking at these forums for a year or so I'm really excited to be going to U of T in August!

Undergrad= Queen's, dual degree BPHE and BSc Life Science, finished 5th year

UofT GPA= 3.86

MCAT = 11/9/11 Q

EC's= can't remember all the things I wrote; worked for a rural recruitment agency past two years, was a park warden at Wasaga Beach provincial park, travel, sports, used to be a national level halfpipe snowboarder

Interviews: U of T, NOSM

Accepted: U of T

Waitlisted: NOSM

I think my essay and references really helped me out, but after two years applying to U of T I think the whole package just clicked.

See you guys soon!

Out of Province

GPA: 3.85/4.00

MCAT: PS,VR,BS,W - 10,11,13,Q - 34Q

Autobiographical Sketch - Volunteering, some fun and interesting jobs, extracurricular activities, involvement in the arts, nothing out of the ordinary really.

Interviewed: Memorial, Dalhousie, Queen's, Western, U of Toronto, U of Alberta, U of Calgary

Waitlisted: Queens

Accepted: Memorial, Dalhousie, Western (London Campus), U of Toronto, U of Alberta, U of Calgary

I will be accepting Western.

I've been posting questions for last 2 -3 years now, and seen many posts in this thread. Coming from the Grad stream, I remember the countless nights searing through pmed101 to look up different grad stats/productivity to see what was needed/directions to give me some chance at the MD stream since my undergrad GPA did NOT cut it. So here I am, 3 years later finally being able to post in this thread. I appreciate every second of this :) . Thought this day would never come....

I'm posting my grad productivity in "DETAILED" for future grad students (like myself) who may be searching through grad profiles to see "some" past successful grad applicants.

Ugrad cGPA - 3.7ish (UofT) (OMSAS was a bit lower) - went into another related health care profession before coming back for MSc.

Grad GPA - 4.00 (did an MSc in Biochm at UofT)

MCAT: Wrote multiple times. Best score (1 month before app deadline re-wrote) was

BS:13, PS:12, VR - 8 (cut from western, queens) WS: T

ECs: Had the regular stuff, volunteered in hospitals, intramural sports, nursing homes, elementray school, University clubs, homeless shelters, ShareLife, volunteered in Thailand/Laos/India during summers....etc.....etc........etc

LOR: I actually think my LORs was what got me through. I used up all 6 cards, some profs, some MD's , and MOST important (in my opinion) was my volunteer supervisor who I have known for over 10 years. She told (did NOT show) me she wrote a 4 page LOR :eek:. She is the sweetest person in the world. God bless that women :D .

Finally my Research Productivity: (again, I'm not making any statements about myself, just posting for future grad applicants)

Papers: 4 in total by december deadline (1 published (1st author), 1 accepted (1st author) publication, 2 submitted (1st, 2nd author),

Presentations/conferences by dec/jan deadline: 15 in total (squeezed a few in from Sept-Dec).

- 4 invited talks, 11 posters.

Patents: 1

Awards: usual NSERC....grad school awards...etc.....

Although I was an MSc student, I worked hard (day/night - i'm sure fellow grad students can understand this :o ) through those many months, sometimes loosing steam but never loosing sight of my goals. It can be done!

Applied: Ottawa, UofT

Interviewed: Ottawa, UofT

Accepted: Ottawa, UofT

I will be attending Toronto this fall. Look forward to meeting my classmates. Congrats everyone.

3rd year undergrad at U of T

cGPA: 4.00

MCAT: 14P/11V/15B/Q

Applied: U of T, Queen's, Mac, Ottawa

Interviewed: U of T, Queen's

Waitlisted: Queen's

I will be attending U of T. Looking forward to meet everyone in August!

3rd year undergrad at U of T

cGPA: 4.00

MCAT: 14P/11V/15B/Q

Applied: U of T, Queen's, Mac, Ottawa

Interviewed: U of T, Queen's

Waitlisted: Queen's

I will be attending U of T. Looking forward to meet everyone in August!

monster stats!!!!!

For years I've marveled at the stats of past applicants and it feels great to be among some of the finest.

OMSAS GPA = 3.90 (UofT GPA= 3.94)

MCAT = 12/9/11 T

ECs = Research with publications, Hospital Volunteer, some International Work, a few Student Clubs (Exec) but nothing too stellar.

Applied: U of T, Western, Queen's, Ottawa, McMaster

Interviewed: U of T

Accepted: U of T (off the waitlist)

See you guys in August! Super excited

I'm new here, not hopeful on getting in at this point and hoping to find some moral support here.

GPA 4.0

MCAT 14B/12P/13V/P

Mostly sports for extracurriculars, lots of research jobs and two papers.

I was pretty shocked not to get in anywhere, must have been my interviews. Better luck next year I guess.

I'm new here, not hopeful on getting in at this point and hoping to find some moral support here.

GPA 4.0

MCAT 14B/12P/13V/P

I was pretty shocked not to get in anywhere, must have been my interviews. Better luck next year I guess.

that doesn't make any sense. do you have a degree? You cant really get much higher stats than that...

I still have 2 more years to go...do you guys think I blew my chances? Which university looks most closely at your last two years?

Western looks at your best 2 years as long as they met the requirments for upper year courses (check the site for more details but they basically don't want to see 3rd/4th years with tons of 1st year "easier" courses)

I think Queens might looks at most recent 2 years but im not 100% sure. good luck and work hard in your last 2 years (enjoy them too..they fly by!)

GPA 4.0

MCAT 14B/12P/13V/P

Where did you interview at? (Other than Toronto, I'm assuming since you're posting in this thread...) Although your other stats are very impressive as everyone has said, I could see that "P" on your MCAT holding you back from some cut-offs (ie. Western). (But if you interviewed at those schools my point is moot.)

Western looks at your best 2 years as long as they met the requirments for upper year courses (check the site for more details but they basically don't want to see 3rd/4th years with tons of 1st year "easier" courses)

I think Queens might looks at most recent 2 years but im not 100% sure. good luck and work hard in your last 2 years (enjoy them too..they fly by!)

yeah queens will look at your last 2 years, if you don't meet their overall cGPA requirement.

GPA 4.0

MCAT 14B/12P/13V/P

wow....those are some kick as stats etc. What the hell?

Other than w.s. being a P (and I can't see you rewriting the MCAT with those scores!) I would agree it has to be the interview. How do you think your interviews went? Sounds like you are applying next year as well (good!).

What's your plan from here?

Don't put up with the BS of rewriting for arbitrary cutoff schools. Take your monster mcat and go to a top tier US school. Seriously.

Basically that was what I was thinking. It's a 39P, 4.0 GPA for crying out loud :)

Although AdamP is right about Ontario. I guess Western and Queens are out but with the rest you would think would be highly competitive at.

Seeing stats like that always reinforces the lottery aspect of this.....

Don't forget that the Ontario schools use the MCAT as a cutoff, and not all of them even look at it. The 39 will give an advantage in the US, but not here. The 4.0 is very very impressive, but don't underestimate the rest of the application (ECs, essays, recommendations, interview, etc).

Numbers are important, but they're not the only thing you need to get into med school in Ontario. Having good stats is a must, but it's not a guarantee. You still need to distinguish yourself from all the other applicants who have good stats.

Don't put up with the BS of rewriting for arbitrary cutoff schools. Take your monster mcat and go to a top tier US school. Seriously.

Sorry dude, gotta disagree with you. A 39 MCAT is not the end all and be all of anything. In fact, I think it signifies very little and it doesn't guarantee a top spot at a US school either.