Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

Ok.. this always boggles my mind but how do people not have 3.95+ GPAs after U of T drops their lowest SIX(!) courses.....

+2

Seems paradoxical (nemesis-vocab check plz ;) ) that your GPA is so (allegedly) high, yet your mind is so easily boggled. Average entry GPA in 2009 was a 3.9 FYI, and some of the strongest applicants I've seen on this forum have less than that.

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted

wGPA 3.95+

MCAT met cut offs

EC: 2 years+of research at 2 labs +1 year of social science research on racism, 3 years of nursing home, overseas volunteer, and many other things.

Fourth year. First time applying to medical schools

Interviewed at UofT and Ottawa.

good waitlisted at Ottawa

accepted at uoft :)

Interview feeling: I thought it was great, really relaxed and I practically just had a conversation with the interviewers (mainly the doctor, the med student seemed kinda nervous herself).

I will be attending uoft this fall. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

tips for future applicants:

1) Well ensuring your GPA should always be your 1st priority. Don't lose sight when people tell you how much EC they have. IMO if you don't have a 3.9 GPA for the schools that you want to apply to then work hard to get that first before considering EC and sacrifice your GPA.

2) EC is vital too but it should come after your GPA as your second priority when trying to acquire them. (I am not saying EC is less important on the application) All I mean is that getting a good GPA first then worry about EC but EC and GPA are both vitally important for your application to med school. Your GPA will follow you forever at some schools but EC can always be improved.

3) The MCAT. Seems like in Canada it's less important then your GPA but still very important one. Especially Verbal reasoning. Getting a good Verbal score can boost up your chance at many schools such as Western (11 this year) Queens (10) and other OOP schools (I am an Ontario dweller) like Alberta and Calgary.

4) The Refereces. I don't know how important they are, as most schools don't tell you how you review your files. However I'd assume the stronger the better (obviously). I personally used 1 person (Volunteer coordinator) known me for 3 years to comment on my personality and suitability to pursue medicine. 2nd person is a professor at my school (I volunteered and worked for 2 years) commenting on my academic ability as well as his feeling about my suitability to pursue medicine. Third person is a Lab director commenting on similar traits as my second reference. I didn't use a doctor as my third reference but If I had one I would use that provided the person has known me for a long time and can comment on such things.

Accepted this morning:D

2nd year applying

GPA ~ 3.95

MCAT: 35N

lots of volunteering and research, much better references than last year

deciding between u of t and Northwestern but I am 99% set on u of t! woohoo! cant wait to meet everyone

ACCEPTED at UofT :D

Waitlisted at Ottawa and Western (high/good waitlists)

Rejected at Mac

grad student

wgpa at UofT = 3.95

omsas gpa = 3.87

MCAT: 10 PS, 8 VR, 12 BS, S

I had crazy ECs --- 3 years research + 1 publication, lots of clubs and awards and volunteering,no hospital volunteering

I think my essay and reference letters were great

I was super nervous at my interview and didn't think it went as good as my other ones, but I guess I got the opposite results :)

Congrats to everyone else who made it this cycle!

If you don't have good news yet, don't lose hope, hang in there! :)

Accepted @ UofT

3.90 GPA unweighted (4.0 last two years)

MCAT = 36S

ECs=sports, coaching, TA'ing, started a small charity with friends

research=an NSERC, some research at Sunnybrook, a thesis, no publications (one coming out later this summer though)

a decent number of awards

i think strong references (one from a high school teacher I coached with for 5 years, one from a summer NSERC prof, one from a doc i did summer research with

i think my essay was strong - very concise, nothing flowery, no stories, just why i am a good candidate based on my experiences and qualities

Accepted @U of T (waitlisted @Mac)

Grad Applicant

GPA ~ 3.77 (not sure if I got the weighting applied, I didn't qualify for it but requested consideration for special circumstances. If it was my GPA would be > 3.9).

MCAT 11 13 11 O

ECs - Publications (6 or 7, 1 first author), volunteering at a hospice, volunteering @ schools, lots of sports, some awards.

This was my second time applying. So pumped!

OMSAS GPA 3.89; wGPA 3.93; Grad GPA 4.0

MCAT: PS10, VR11, BS12, WS O (oops... )

EC's: birth control counsellor, execs of multiple committees, organized a seminar series at my research institute, hospital volunteer, shadowing in clinical and prenatal genetics, 3 years as a teaching assistant, science outreach and designed a medical genetics curriculum for a summer camp, mentoring, competitive athlete (played an exhibition curling game at the Olympics this year!!), curling instructor for kids, organized fund raisers for the food bank, random intramural sports, 6 years of research experience (2 first author publications, 5 posters, lots of scholarships/funding), 1 year as a clinical research coordinator at a women's hospital.

I applied to: Dal, MUN, McGill, Toronto, Queen's, Ottawa, UBC

Interviews at: Dal, MUN, UBC, Toronto

Accepted at (so far): Dal, MUN, Toronto (waiting on UBC tomorrow!)

I think I'll be accepting this offer. :)

Accepted at U of T, McMaster (Hamilton campus), and Queen's; will be accepting U of T barring any last minute change of heart

GPA 3.9ish

MCAT 34R

Grad applicant

Standard ECs

Candid, straight up essay about my accomplishments and why I was interested in medicine

Subjectively I was confident in my references; one was my grad supervisor, one was a work supervisor (I work at a research lab), and one was from an EC in undergrad

Interview I think went relatively smoothly (although I still had plenty of nerves!)

I look forward to meeting everyone this fall (and best of luck to everyone on the wait list)!

EC's: birth control counsellor, execs of multiple committees, organized a seminar series at my research institute, hospital volunteer, shadowing in clinical and prenatal genetics, 3 years as a teaching assistant, science outreach and designed a medical genetics curriculum for a summer camp, mentoring, competitive athlete (played an exhibition curling game at the Olympics this year!!), curling instructor for kids, organized fund raisers for the food bank, random intramural sports, 6 years of research experience (2 first author publications, 5 posters, lots of scholarships/funding), 1 year as a clinical research coordinator at a women's hospital.

Wow.... Well done!

Wow that was a no brainer! Incredibly accomplished!

Accepted!

4th Year - U of T

wGPA: 3.95-ish. Not really sure.

MCAT: 11/12/11 S

ECs: Standard volunteering, research etc.

Interview was an awesome experience.

Results at other schools:

Accepted: Queen's, UWO (London), Toronto, Ottawa

Waitlisted: McMaster, Dalhousie

I am torn 50/50 on whether to go to Queen's or UWO. I will be visiting both campuses this weekend, and will hopefully have my decision made by Monday or Tuesday.

Therefore, I am about 95% sure I will not be going to U of T. I'm going to meet up with my older sis tonight (2013 at U of T) and get her candid answers to some of my questions. Barring something serious changing my mind, I will withdraw on Monday or Tuesday and hopefully that helps someone out who really deserves it on the U of T waitlist.

Congratulations everyone! For those still waiting, hang in there!

Accepted!

Grad Student

Undergrad Chem eng cGPA - 3.87, wGPA: 3.9+

MCAT: 10/11/12 Q

ECs: worked as a manager at a GTA clinic for one year, research, lots of volunteering, many sports teams, etc.

Thought interview went fairly well.

Interviewed: Dal, U of T

Accepted: U of T

Waitlisted: Dal

Will definitely be attending U of T!!!