Premed 101 Forums

MCCQE1 fail by 1 point

Hi everyone,

I unfortunately failed the MCCQE1 by a single point (scored 225, 226 needed to pass as per website). I was reading about rescoring/appealing on this forum a while back but on the LMCC site, found only a page about reconsideration for illness (which either keeps the same fail or voids the attempt). How does one get started with an appeal? I would hate to have to rewrite.

Hey! I am in the same boat as you and honestly so annoyed at the thought of having to rewrite this. As far as I can find on the mcc website, the only possible outcomes of an appeal are no change to standing, or granted a no standing, which means it did not count as an attempt. Seems to me we will have to rewrite but if there is some way to have it rescored and granted a pass, please someone let us know!

Generally speaking for high stakes standardized tests (such as MCCQE1), failing scores that are close to the minimum passing score are given extra scrutiny to ensure accuracy before being reported. This is why few if any appeals are ever successful. Don't waste time or money contesting the result. Focus on being more prepared for the retake. Good luck.

10 hours ago, lmcc1point said:

Hi everyone,

I unfortunately failed the MCCQE1 by a single point (scored 225, 226 needed to pass as per website). I was reading about rescoring/appealing on this forum a while back but on the LMCC site, found only a page about reconsideration for illness (which either keeps the same fail or voids the attempt). How does one get started with an appeal? I would hate to have to rewrite.

oh good grief, sorry to hear that. That is frustrating. 

At least if you do have to rewrite it clearly you were extremely close to passing. 

26 minutes ago, Intrepid86 said:

Generally speaking for high stakes standardized tests (such as MCCQE1), failing scores that are close to the minimum passing score are given extra scrutiny to ensure accuracy before being reported. This is why few if any appeals are ever successful. Don't waste time or money contesting the result. Focus on being more prepared for the retake. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I was reading the MCCQE1 **DELETED** and it seems rewriting is the better choice, as an appeal also costs about the same. 

21 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

They aren't informed unless you tell them etc. 

Perhaps it is different where I am, but when I failed last year, I was required by my college (as part of my licensing application) to sign a letter promising to rewrite, and both my PGME director and my program director were directly emailed informing them I failed by my college. To be honest it was a little embarrassing, but definitely the motivation I needed to actually study lol. Thank goodness I passed this second time around.

So sorry to hear about the near pass scores though! It was tough to rewrite for sure.

To update everyone:

(From MCC)

Score Recheck option is longer offered. The decision to no longer offer the result recheck service was driven by principles of procedural fairness, equity and transparency, considering that this process was unlikely to produce a change in a final result. In addition to a highly rigorous scoring process, the MCC has thorough verification and quality assurance systems in place to ensure results are accurately reported. Results are verified at least twice before being released to candidates, and those close to the passing score undergo further verifications to ensure accuracy.

my honest advice is get over the initial failure, study hard and rewrite.

I know failure is rare for premed/med students but when you practice medicine long enough everyone encounter some obstacle. The most important thing is to dig into why the obstacle occurred and how to overcome it. In the end if you pass LMCC and pass your RC you can practice and make $ like everyone else and nobody will care about what you scored on LMCC lol

On 7/19/2023 at 9:58 PM, DrinkingTea said:

Perhaps it is different where I am, but when I failed last year, I was required by my college (as part of my licensing application) to sign a letter promising to rewrite, and both my PGME director and my program director were directly emailed informing them I failed by my college. To be honest it was a little embarrassing, but definitely the motivation I needed to actually study lol. Thank goodness I passed this second time around.

So sorry to hear about the near pass scores though! It was tough to rewrite for sure.

hmm interesting - which province is that? That does sound a bit annoying but yes more motivation. Actually the same sort of stress I suppose as the royal college exam - which is why everyone over studies for that to the point of exhaustion. 

20 hours ago, rmorelan said:

hmm interesting - which province is that? That does sound a bit annoying but yes more motivation. Actually the same sort of stress I suppose as the royal college exam - which is why everyone over studies for that to the point of exhaustion. 

Nova Scotia! I think the intention was good. I believe it was intended for those who wrote later than I did because some of the language in the letter seemed to imply that the college expected PGME and the PD to provide support during residency to prep for the rewrite, but it didn't quite apply to me because I had written it pretty much right after med 3 and had the rest of med 4 to study for it, so by the time I signed the letter I was already going to rewrite lol.

5 hours ago, shockin said:

I checked with MCC and apparently results are sent to residency programs and PDs

wow, ok that is a change - that never used to happen, as I had friend that I helped study for the second offering that clearly their PD didn't know - and that wasn't all that long ago. 

I wonder what the logic would even be there. 

• 6 months later...