Premed 101 Forums

Interview Coaching?

I don't know anyone who did. I personally don't see the value.

You have more than enough resources available to you with your friends, colleagues, preceptors you trust, family to guide you (provided they are willing to be honest and not blow smoke up your a$$). There are also a number of resources online with good residency interview practice questions that you can practice on your own time.

No need to spend money on a coach.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with robclem21. :P The last time I mentored a student for her residency applications was 3 years ago. She was applying to a highly competitive specialty across Canada and she also had a back-up. For the Interviews, I told her to be authentic to herself, to let her personality shine though, definitely not let herself be psyched out by her cohorts (not to discuss her applications, her strategy with them), "not" to prepare for the Interviews, just allowed them to flow naturally. In other words, I kept her calm, gave her (deserved) confidence. She was totally herself in the Interviews. She ranked the schools based upon her gut and was chosen for her first choice!  

So-called "interview coaching" would have thrown her off her natural pace and would have been a disaster, considering what actually happened.

I was interviewed for a competitive surgical specialty. I was the least qualified interviewee but I had strong soft skills. I did not prepare for the Interview which lasted all of 10 minutes, although we were told it would be 45 minutes. I was concerned upon leaving the interview, however, I was 1 of 40 interviewees for 3 spots, 1 of which was mine.

Pick your poison and live with the results! :) Good luck!

I considered getting a coach, but instead spent the 2 months leading up to interviews grinding it out by practicing with both medical and non-medical friends, as well as whoever was interested on this forum. I even attended some pre-med interview group sessions for practice when no one was available. :lol: 

However, I can certainly envision the value of a coach for those who have limited time off during the CaRMS interview period, would like specialty specific practice questions or may not be stronger interviewers at baseline, but there is also the risk of paying for a coach who doesn't match your needs or expectations.