Premed 101 Forums

*** The Saskatchewan Forum Quiz ***

Guest saskmedman

Guest saskmedman

Nice answer Bearman! How do you say genius? Anyway, I would think that you could just suck the darn thing out of the tube, seeing as the tube is only 1" in diameter and the ball isn't stuck. But that wuold be too easy I guess. Once again, thank you all for making this thread such a success thus far. I think the questions have been really cool and it should keep going for quite some time. If any of you post in some of the other premed101 forums tell your friends to come join in. This rocks!

Rod

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lactic Folly

Wow bearman.. that would be a neat thing to try in a physics lab! I actually heard this puzzle when we were studying creativity in my psych class, but that too is very creative..

Congrats PARTY cal, you got the answer I had in mind :lol Over to you!

Guest Ian Wong

Here's one that comes up occasionally:

You are inside a room, with the door closed. In the wall are three light switches, numbered #1, #2, and #3, all in the off position.

Down the hallway is another room, with its door closed, and in that wall, are three lightbulbs, lettered A, B, and C, all currently off. Each of the light switches above, when turned on, will turn on its corresponding light bulb.

Once you leave your current room, the door will lock shut, and you cannot re-enter it. So, you can flick the switches, but once you leave the first room, you cannot return to it, nor can you look inside to see which position the switches are in.

Your job is to figure out how to tell which light switch corresponds with each light bulb.

Ian

Guest Lactic Folly

Turn one on, leave one off, and turn the remaining switch on then off again. When you enter the new room, one bulb will be on, one will be off, and the remaining one will be off but warm :)

Guest saskmedman

Cool question Ian! Nice to see the boss getting in on the action as well. I believe the floor is still open to party cal though. And I'm a bit miffed about my sucking answer. Much cleaner than everyone urinating in the tube. And I'm not sure how skilled other people are at the art of urinating, but I don't think I could personally hit a target one inch wide. Maybe that's just me.;)

Guest Lactic Folly

Well, I don't know about the strength of your embouchure, but certainly it could have been worth a try.. only it came after the pee answer and that wouldn't have been so good! :rollin

/note to self: next time I tell this riddle, include a funnel among the possibilities ;)

Guest Jerika81

I know this is cheating since I haven't given an answer yet, but I can't help myself, and I don't know if I'm smart enough to get any of the answers, so I may never be able to post this otherwise.

Here is one of my favourite riddles:

A poor farmer owes money to an evil rich banker, but he can’t afford to pay his loan. However, the poor farmer has a very beautiful daughter, so the banker is willing to make a deal with him. He tells the farmer to meet him on Cobble Stone Alley with his daughter and some witnesses.

When the group meet the banker tells them that he will place a black pebble and a white pebble in to a bag. Then the farmer’s daughter must remove one of the pebbles from the bag. If she removes the black pebble then she must marry the evil banker, but if she removes the white pebble then she and her father are free to go and will no longer be in debt to the banker.

Unfortunately, the banker is not only evil but dishonest, and the daughter sees him place two black pebbles in the bag instead of one black and one white. No one else sees this. The daughter of course does not want to marry the banker, how can she ensure that she and her father are free to go?

Good Luck...

Guest kosmo14

The daughter picks a pebble out of the bag but accidently drops it in amonst the other pebbles on the ground. She then tells everyone all is not lost because we can see what color pebble I picked out of the bag by seeing what is left in the bag. Needless to say the remaining pebble in the bag is black and by default she should have picked out the white pebble.

Can't post my question until next week because I am going away in about 8 hours for the weekend, and it will take me at least that long to come up with one hard enough to stump almost everyone (my brain is in slow motion for the summer). Besides I answered a riddle that technically wasn't in the rotation. Have a great weekend everyone.

Guest saskmedman

Yeah Kosmo, don't worry about posting a question. PARTY Cal is our reigning 2 time quiz master. We're all waiting on him/her to keep us going! This rules!

Rod

Guest saskmedman

This page sure has slowed down. I realize it's likely because of the weekend, but I think that if PARTY Cal doesn't post a question by 6:00 EST (that's 4:00 in sask, I think!) then we'll pass is over to Kosmo for answering Jerika's other question. I hate to sound like a bum, but I see a lot of people are hitting this forum and they're probably all waiting for the next quiz question. Come on PARTY Cal! Give us an impossible one!

Rod

Guest PARTY cal

hey,

Sorry I have not posted my question yet. I think it would be a good idea to allow Kosmo to post the next question since I will be very busy the next few days and will therefore be unable to post a really difficult quesiton.

Guest saskmedman

Thanks PARTY Cal. Kosmo, please post the next question. Also, in order to restore interest in this short-lived thread, I will begin keeping score and posting the number of times all participants have been the first correct responder. Just to have a little more prestige for the more involved posters.

Rod

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey... Can I play??...:)

You have 9 golf balls. 8 of which are equal in weight. The ninth is slightly heavier then the rest. You also have a balancing scale. Can you use this scale two times and only two times in order to tell which ball is heavier?

The answer is yes.. But how?

CC

Guest saskmedman

Ok, let's go with caesar's question. Kosmo, in grand first year fashion, is no where to be found when everyone else is having a good time (sorry Kosmo, just jokes!) so CaesarCornelius is the new quizmaster in his place. Let's keep this going gang.

As for the golf ball question, I have no idea. Nice one Caesar, let's see if anyone can get it.

Rod

Guest Lactic Folly

Weigh 3 vs 3 - say they are the same.

Then take one of the remaining 3 with one from the first 6, repeat to make another pair, and weigh the two sets against each other. If they balance out then the remaining unweighed ball is the heavy one. If they don't balance out, you know it's the ball on the heavy side that wasn't one of the original 6.

Weigh 3 vs 3 - say they are different. Then you know it's one of the 3 balls on the heavy side. Of these, weigh 1 vs 1 - if different, it's the heavy one - if same, it's the remaining ball.

Guest Lactic Folly

Yay.. For the next riddle, explain the following scenario:

A man lives on the fourteenth floor of an apartment building. Every morning he takes the elevator down to the lobby and leaves the building. In the evening, he gets into the elevator, and, if there is someone else in the elevator -- or if it was raining that day -- he goes back to his floor directly. Otherwise, he goes to the ninth floor and walks up five flights of stairs to his apartment.

Guest CaesarCornelius

Ok. Assume the person is really short and can't reach the 14th floor button. If there was someone else in the elevator he could ask them, and if it was raining then he could use his umbrella to hit the button. If not, then he has to hit the highest button he can reach (floor 9) and then walk.

Comming down in the morning is no problem as he merely hits the Main floor button which is the lowest button.

CC

Guest saskmedman

Lactic and Caesar have taken over! You guys have to give the rest of us some time to keep up! Just kidding, keep up the good riddles, and don't forget: riddles are not the only option. I find useless trivia very fun as well! But whatever you all prefer, just keep it going.

Rod

Guest CaesarCornelius

When and where was the first artificial heart surgery performed (ie. inserting an permanent artificial heart into a human)?

CC

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey Bearman,

The surgery that I had found was from 1982, see below.

In 1982, in the first operation of its kind, doctors at the University of Utah Medical Center implanted a permanent artificial heart in the chest of retired dentist Dr. Barney Clark, who lived 112 days with the device.

HOWEVER, the CNN site does clearly say "first artificial heart implant" SO I don't know. Perhaps it is just a matter of semantics. I know I read somewhere about the one in 1982 not being fully electric (imagine seeing some at the gas station with the nossle in their chest, fueling their heart :rollin )

So I guess we all learned something and the quiz master hat is now being passed to Bearman. Give us something good!

inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blartificialheart.htm

*I actually found the timeline... Perhaps the CNN wording is referring to the patient being the first person to receive that particular type of artificial heart. See timeline below, there actually was an artificial heart transplant in 1969!

Landmarks in the development of the artificial heart:

1953: A heart-lung machine designed by Dr. John Gibbon is used in a successful open-heart surgery, demonstrating that an artifical device can temporarily mimic the functions of the heart.

1964: The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute sets a goal of designing a total artificial heart by 1970.

1966: Dr. Michael DeBakey of Houston successfully implants a partial artificial heart.

1967: Dr. Christiaan Barnard performs the first successful human heart transplant. The patient, 53-year-old dentist Louis Washkansky, dies 18 days after surgery in South Africa.

1969: A total artifical heart is implanted into a patient by Dr. Denton Cooley of the Texas Heart Institute. The patient gets a heart transplant three days later but then dies 11/2 days afterward.

1982-85: Dr. William DeVries carries out a series of five implants of the Jarvik total artificial heart. The first patient, Barney Clark, survives for 112 days. Only four others received the Jarvik as a permanent replacement heart; one, William Schroeder, lived 620 days, dying in August 1986 at age 54. Other patients received the Jarvik as a temporary device while awaiting heart transplants.

1994: The Food and Drug Administration approves the Left Ventricular Assist Device, which helps failing hearts continue to function.

2000: A man in Israel becomes the first recipient of the Jarvik 2000, the first total artificial heart that can maintain blood flow in addition to generating a pulse.

2001: Doctors at Jewish Hospital in Louisville, Ky., implant the first self-contained, mechanical heart replacement into a patient. The device, called the AbioCor, is battery powered and the size of a softball.

CC

Guest bearman14

OK, here we go (I debated whether to ask a trivia question or riddle, but decided to go with the riddle for now -- hopefully no one has heard this one):

Saskmedman, doctorbones, Insomniac01, and kosmo14 (it is the Saskatchewan forum, of course) are captured by the Evil Ian Wong, who for some unknown nefarious purpose, has taken them to his secret island lair. Now Ian, being a sinister yet fair man, has decided that he would like to test the collective mind of the Saskatchewan moderators, and has therefore created a scenario in which they can obtain their freedom through clever reasoning.

First off, he places blindfolds on each of the Saskatchewan moderators. He then leads them down to the beach where he has four pits dug in a line in the sand. Each Sask Moderator gets buried in the sand up to his/her neck, in a particular order, and with each mod facing a particular direction. Saskmedman is at the western end of the line, and he is facing/looking east. Doctorbones is next to Saskmed man, and he is also looking east. Insomniac01 is next to Doctor bones, and also is looking east. Lastly, kosmo14 is at the eastern end of the line, and is looking west. To top it all off, Ian has placed a wall between Insomniac and kosmo14. Ian then places a coloured hat on each of the mods' heads, and the hats are either black or white. Unknown to the mods, he places the hats in alternating order, so that Saskmedman has a white hat on, doctorbones has a black hat on, Insomniac01 has a white hat on, and kosmo14 has a black hat on. He then removes the blindfolds, so that, once their eyes have adjusted to the blinding evil tropical island sun, Saskmedman can see doctorbones and Insomniac, doctorbones can see Insomniac, Insomniac can only see the wall, and kosmo14 can only see the wall. (See the schematic):

SMM -> DB -> IN -> || <- K14

Where:

SMM = Saskmedman

DB = doctorbones

IN = Insomniac

K14 = kosmo14

|| = wall

-> = direction person is looking

Ian then makes the following proclamation: No one can speak, except to say what colour of hat is on their own head. That means the only thing anyone can say is "The colour of hat on my head is ____" If that person guesses correctly, then all Sakatchewan moderators will be released to continue their studies, and more importantly, their fine work on this forum. If that person guesses incorrectly, well, let's just say Ian will need to recruit some more incoming Sask med students for the forum. Only one guess is allowed, and all four Saskatchewan moderators will face the consequence of that guess (they know that the colour is either black or white, and that there are only two black hats and two white hats). So the problem is:

Who makes the guess, and why?

Archived