Premed 101 Forums

*** The Saskatchewan Forum Quiz ***

Guest saskmedman

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest saskmedman

Sheesh CC, I can't believe you found that. That's even the same site where I got the question. You must have done the same google search as I did. You're up!

Guest CaesarCornelius

Ok, here it is.

What famous canadian (although, back then they were all british i think) burned a very famous U.S. house, causing it to be renamed and where is he buried?

Cheers and happy googling..:) (*ahem*..deliberately vague)..

CC

Guest saskmedman

Luckily I am a huge Arrogant Worms fan so I happen to know that the british burned down the white house during the War of 1812. So that was my starting point. Sorry, CC, after knowing that googling this one was easy, but great question. I love history. Anyway, to answer your question. Sir George Cockburn was the man credited for burning down the President's house, as it was known then. The second incarnation was called the Executive Mansion, but it is now popularily known as the White House. Now I'm desperatley searching for his resting place and I can't find it for the life of me. Guess I'll have to come back in a few hours. Hope no beats me to it!

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey Saskmedman,

I am also big into military history.. I was actually thinking of another person. He was a Major General in the British army.

Im not sure if there was a communal "lighting" of the Presidents house, but maybe.

Do you know the name of the other guy?

CC

p.s. The guy I was thinking of now rests close to me..:)

I actually looked up Sir George Cockburn and it turns out that you were close, but that he was cooperating with the army (Sir George Cockburn was an admiral in the navy)... The General he was cooperating with was the one I was thinking of. I think that's why you found his name as well.

Guest CaesarCornelius

Congrats Bear and Saskmedman,

Yeah, I guess you're both right, so lets get two trivia questions on the go...:)

In grade 11 my history teacher took us to that cemetary and told us to write a report on what we could find. Luckily I overheard a tour guide (can U believe that?) mentioning Major General Robert Ross and was able to write a bit on him. The cemetary is right by Dal.

GJ guys (gals? :o )..

CC

Guest bearman14

OK -- here's another one:

What does "Adirondack" mean, and did the Adirondack mountains come by their name?

(I have a buddy from Northern New York, so I asked him for some interesting trivia)

This actually may be too easy -- stinkin' Google!!!!

Guest saskmedman

Go ahead bearman, you got the answer he was looking for. I was going to post one too but I can't find a good one tonight so I'll just wait for bear's question. We're almost number one guys!

On the train from Montreal to New York (also named the Adirondack) there's a short little historical talk they give along the way, and I remember something about a Native tribe with that name in the area. (It was a good long 10-hour ride, so not that much stuck by the end of it...)

Of course that won't do for you guys, so I had to give in and find a cite: "the name "Adirondack" was not the name of one individual tribe, although it is an authentic Indian word. It was originally a term the Iroquois used to refer to the Algonquins who were forced to live on tree buds and bark during the severe winters. However the meaning of the term "adirondack" is often disputed. J.B. Hewitt of the Smithsonian Institution believed that it was derived from the language of a tribe of Indians that lived on the lower Saint Lawrence in the early 1500's and that it meant "They of the Great Rocks". When it was passed on to the Iroquois the meaning got jumbled to mean "They Who Eat Trees"."

Okay, this one's a bit silly but I was trying to figure out something both medical and Canadian yet not too easily Googlable... So here we go - what two ways could you earn "MD CM" after your name? (Well, I only know two, there could be more.)

(saskmedman: Ms Thompson would be proud...)

Ah, should've been more clear... what two _current_ ways could you get "MD CM" (Queen's hasn't done it since the class of 1960 or thereabouts)? (I suppose it is a bit of a tricky question...)

Guest UTMed07
I suppose it is a bit of a tricky question...

Okie.

1. earn the MD CM (at McGill)

2. have McGill handed it to you on a silver platter - MD CM (honorary) :P

#2 is very unusual... but it has happened.

Wow, I wasn't thinking that tricky! Besides, McGill doesn't give out the MD CM as an honorary degree currently.

You are thinking along the right track though... if no one else comes up with anything else you should be the next quiz-master.

Edited for spelling

Guest medicator007

QM6,

We may have had this discussion before....

1) McGill for sure gives out the MDCM

2) I believe U of Edinburgh medical college still does, since the 4 founders of McGill were trained there, they brought the tradition to McGill.

3) I heard from Dr. Wallis, History of Medicine Prof.... that when Osler went down to Johns Hopkins he brought the MDCM degree to that school.. though i confess not to know if they still continue.

Okay, the question was poorly phrased - my bad. I should have specified current and Canadian from the beginning... Anyway, I was looking for (1) going to McGill or (2) finishing an MD, and then becoming a member of the Order of Canada to get the CM - two ways you could earn "MD CM" after your name. Sorry, it was a silly question!

Yeah, I remember that thread medicator007, that's where the idea came from. From the beginning, Queen's (itself modelled on Edinburgh) also gave out the MD CM, but apparently the rationale for dropping the "CM" in the 60s was the change from a 5-year to a 4-year programme, and the powers that be didn't believe a four-year degree made you a master of anything. Our History of Medicine prof Dr Duffin also suggests there could've been some pressure from the Royal College ("no one's a surgeon until they come through us" sort of thing), but can't say for sure.

I suppose UTMed07 got closest though, so it's all yours...

Guest kosmo14

I did some searching yesterday to see if I could come up with the answer. As far as I could tell Johns Hopkins deos not give out CM anymore, and U of Edinburgh gives out MBChB as of 1990.

Guest UTMed07

Here is my question...

What breakthrough in the 1950s allowed supersonic aircraft to be built and what did the discoverer of it have in common with the Wright brothers?

Hints:

1. The breakthrough lead to a factor-of-2 reduction in the peak drag near Mach 1.

2. The discovery was considered so important the government classified it as 'secret' for some time in the 1950s.

3. It lead a large aircraft part to have a beverage container look. :P

Guest bearman14

Now that I know we're keeping score, I'm gunnin' for first place.

How's this:

"The transonic effects are larger for thicker (more curved) airfoil (transonic flow being the flow over a wing surface that is mixed with both subsonic and supersonic flow regions). As a result, the terminating shock and the associated shock induced flow separation are stronger.

As M(infinite) increases beyond the critical Mach number, the drag coefficient suddenly starts to increase. The Mach number at which the sudden drag increase occurs is defined as the drag-divergence Mach number.

The drag divergence is caused by the shock-induced flow separation. It is the cause of the so called “sound barrier” term coined in 1940s and 1950s.

The Area Rule:

The area rule can be simply stated as follows: the variation of cross-sectional area for an airplane should be smooth, with no discontinuity. As result, in the region of wings and tail, the fuselage cross sectional area should decrease. This led to a “coke bottle” fuselage shape. Typically, the area rule leads to a factor of 2 reduction in peak drag near Mach 1.

This lead to the develpment of the Supercritical Airfoil. For high-speed subsonic aircraft, it is desirable to have high drag divergence Mach number. To increase M(cr) is one solution. Supercritical airfoil is another solution.

The supercritical airfoil has a relatively flat top so the the Mach number in the supersonic region is lower than other high-speed airfoils and the terminating shock is weaker, thus creating less drag.

This design cause negative camber in the forward portion of the airfoil and less lift there. This lift loss is compensated by “extreme” positive camber on the rear 30% of the airfoil.

Another advantage of the supercritical airfoil is that it can be thicker and thus have better rigidity."

aerosrv.atl.calpoly.edu/j...nsonic.ppt

Guest UTMed07

bearman14:

Good work... but can you answer the second part?

What did the guy who came up with the area-rule have in common with the Wright brothers (aside from the obvious of having made large contributions to aerodynamics)?

Archived