Premed 101 Forums

US schools

Guest mesoderm

Guest mesoderm

Hi guys

I know I can probably find out this myself, but there are so many schools in the US and I don't know where to begin to look.

I'm a canadian citizen and it looks like my chances of getting into a Canadian school is not too good.

I would like have an idea how competitive I am to the schools in the US, so I know which ones I should apply to. My strength is in academics, 3.97 OMSAS GPA, 34R (8 in verbal though, hahaah). Not very much extra-curriculars as an Undergrad however, just a few part-time jobs here and there, and going to start an NSERC research project this summer. Looking forward to it!

Any suggestions?? Thanks a lot in advance for the help!!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

You might want to start by picking up the latest copy of "Medical School Admissions Requirements". It lists all of the US medical programs, as well as the statistics for the entering students, e.g., average GPAs, MCATs, etc. From this information you may be able to better gauge which schools offer the most hope for you.

Chees and good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest thesaug

Hi,

Check this site out...it has the average GPAs and MCAT scores of the 2003 admitted class:

mysite.verizon.net/res21aye/sdn/

Second, your stats are not bad. You still have a good shot from the grades/score point of view to get into a Canadian school. In the US, I think you will be pretty competitive at almost every school.

Good luck with the application process!

thesaug

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AnxiousBoy

Dude, many many schools in the States (especially the public ones) do not accept Canadian citizens. Its better off doing a thorough research before applying or else you may find yourself wasting a lot of money.

Archived