Premed 101 Forums

UofT--bell curve question

Guest wab8611

Guest wab8611

hows does the bell curve at UofT stgeorge really work..

like do they bell curve down if the avg for the exam is higher then 65%..or do they make the next test harder???

They tend to play around with the marks in bigger classes, i.e. first and second year classes. However, they try to avoid changing the grades as much as possible. Like you said, if one test has a low average, then the next test will probably be easier. If they do though, then they try to get the average around 65-75%.

Guest Henry

If you check the academic handbook for u of t, they do say that only a certain proportion of the people can get As and Bs, etc, and the number of people who can fail.

Guest triplefudgebrownie

ffs, it should be the knowledge of the people in the class that decides what grade they get, and whether they pass or fail - not something that U of T decided on "OK, this proportion of people must get As, this proportion of people must get Bs, etc". I think it's really artificial - I don't like it. It kind of defies the point of learning to get good marks in the first place, if your grades are already pretty much decided on.

Guest Henry

Yep. Lots of people got knocked down from an 80 to a 79 because of that rule.

That's what makes people so depressed... they can work very hard, only to get slapped down.

Archived