Premed 101 Forums

Interviews

Wahoo! I just got my email, my interview is on the 22nd.

My stats, I'm In-province, in the 4th yr pool.

cGPA -3.5,

Pre-req - 3.48

MCAT 36R

Lots of EC's, volunteering overseas, living overseas, ran some student groups, competed nationally in karate, as well as some research etc etc.

SO HAPPY right now, I am the poster-child for "you CAN recover after a really ugly first year" (thus the lower somewhat lower stats). Good luck to everyone else waiting and congrats to those who aren't.... I look forward to meeting some of you perhaps!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats RHninja and to everyone else who's gotten an interview so far! My stats:

Pre-req GPA: 3.78

cGPA: 3.89 (stupid tuncation made it 3.8)

MCAT: 40Q

Not many ECs, some hospital and other volunteering, been playing tennis for most of my life, plenty of research (two summers of NSERC, an honours research project, a couple of posters at conferences, and I'm in the middle of finishing my master's, but no pubs yet), tutoring, and TAing.

I did my BSc at the U of A and my (hopefully) soon-to-be completed MSc also at the U of A.

Good luck to all those still waiting!

I received an interview. The email was dated for Feb 1/07. Good luck to everyone still waiting; congrats to those who received an email.

I think I'm gonna need some serious counseling after this whole thing is done and over with, whether I get in or not. This forum already acts kinda like premed group therapy for me. Although, I must admit, it's quite intimidating to see the oustanding scores being posted. You all are a clever bunch. Zelly... 40Q!:eek: Dude, can I borrow some of your MCAT points. You have enough to go around!;) Seriously, though, that's an incredible performance!

How many IP interviews and spots are we talking again? Was it 200 IP interviews for minimum 85 IP spots? I wasn't very clear on that? If it is something like a 50:50 chance come interview time that's really quite rad.

Woohoo! Just checked my UofA e-mail and found out that I have an interview for the 22nd. I am in IP applicant with fairly average scores, so I wasn't expecting this at all.

For all applicants who are still waiting, hang in there: you may get a nice surprise when you least expect it

Congrats to all of those with interviews. Hope I have a chance to meet all of you amazing people.

FYI: I've been having an amazing day - found out that I won a huge scholarship when I got home and the interview just topped it off!

Bones: Would you care to share your story? I always need inspiration. Perhaps number of years applied, cgpa/gpa/mcat/extracurrics in each year, what you were doing each year (working, school, etc.), any other pertinent info?

Only if you feel comfortable with it.

And by the way: Welcome to our community!

Thanks for the welcome muchdutch. As for my story... I'm finishing up an MSc right now, but the first time I applied to meds was during my 3rd yr of undergrad. Got two interviews (which were completely unexpected for me), but no dice. Did a 4th yr honours project, applied again, 2 more interviews... again, nadda.

When undergrad was done, I took a year off... lots happened in this year, including submitting yet another application to meds, volunteering in Zambia (southern Africa), yet another unsuccessful med interview, working in the Yukon and doing community development work with the Baha'i community there, and a ton of challenges in my personal and family life. Funny how we often grow most during our times of greatest struggle.

Fast forward a little bit... I'm now newly married, looking forward to another shot at my dream vocation.

In terms of stats... my GPA, of course, all depends on the particular school. It has been anywhere from 3.6-3.8. I've written the MCAT thrice. I've been lucky to have had opportunities to experience life and have varied volunteer and work experiences. Maybe that made up for my average-ish stats when compared to other med school applicants.

I hope this has been at least a little inspiring :o . Sorry if I didn't go into too much detail, it's terribly late and I'm so tired. If you want to chat more, you can private msg me.

How about you muchdutch? What's your story?

Woohoo! Just checked my UofA e-mail and found out that I have an interview for the 22nd. I am in IP applicant with fairly average scores, so I wasn't expecting this at all.

For all applicants who are still waiting, hang in there: you may get a nice surprise when you least expect it

Congrats to all of those with interviews. Hope I have a chance to meet all of you amazing people.

FYI: I've been having an amazing day - found out that I won a huge scholarship when I got home and the interview just topped it off!

Sweet deal, I too also won some scholarship goodness a day or so ago.... so I know what you mean when you say "best week/day EVER!!!!" And yes, I also am IP with fairly average GPAs. Maybe I'll run into you on the 22nd. :cool:

Hey,

Not to sure, but my bet is that they are still sending invites out.

It seems like UofA is sending invites based on your interview date. My interview is on the 22nd and I got the invite late on Friday. Depending on if interviews are being held on the 23rd (and later), I wouldn't give up hope.

Good luck.

Hi everyone, I just found this forum.

Also got my invite in an email on feb 1st. My interview's scheduled for the 23rd.

I was seriously worried about my cum. GPA. haha I'm glad I didn't see these posts before, some of you have insane stats! I'm 2nd year IP.

cum gpa: 3.8

prereq: 3.93

MCAT 35R

EC: tons

Best of luck to everyone!

I phoned them last week and they said that they will continue to send out invites until this Friday (Feb 9). So lets continue to cross our fingers!

Thanks for the information, I don't want to call them myself and perhaps slow them down even more. So it helps when people who have the information post it. I just wish they would post some official information on their website about the interview offers. It's so frustrating to be in limbo...no interview notification, but no way to know if all the invites are out.

I wonder what would take them til Feb 9 though?

I just called UofA MD admissions and the woman on the phone told me that invites are still going out and she couldn't give me a date of when they will all be sent out. When I explained to her that I need to make travel arrangements (I also got an interview at UBC), she told me to wait until the end of tomorrow before booking my ticket.

So I guess that by the end of tomorrow, the majority of the invites (if not all) will be sent out. And this also means that there is still a sliver of hope for OOP applicants who haven't yet received an invite.

I just called UofA MD admissions and the woman on the phone told me that invites are still going out and she couldn't give me a date of when they will all be sent out. When I explained to her that I need to make travel arrangements (I also got an interview at UBC), she told me to wait until the end of tomorrow before booking my ticket.

So I guess that by the end of tomorrow, the majority of the invites (if not all) will be sent out. And this also means that there is still a sliver of hope for OOP applicants who haven't yet received an invite.

Go OOP! I wanna get in some skiing!!

________

Digital Vaporizer

No invites for anyone today, huh? Still waiting...

yeah, nothing here. So nothing for you either. I thought we had similar stats and applied to similar schools. Hey, what was you score for UBC (mine was 39.76) ? I've pretty much lost all hope in alberta too. that's 3 down, 2 to go

yeah, nothing here. So nothing for you either. I thought we had similar stats and applied to similar schools. Hey, what was you score for UBC (mine was 39.76) ? I've pretty much lost all hope in alberta too. that's 3 down, 2 to go

Hey, yeah, I dunno what happened with UBC. I got 42.0X. 25/25 for AQ, and a 0/3.5 for high level of performance. I had a 4.285/6 for most of the other categories (mom dictated them over the phone, so don't quite have the letter on me). That 0 is what hurt me. I think I'm taking a year off to travel a hell of a lot and re-write the MCAT once more...it's what's holding me back...that and I haven't built a hospital in Africa yet.

What's the plan for you next year? Back to school for the last year?

Hey, yeah, I dunno what happened with UBC. I got 42.0X. 25/25 for AQ, and a 0/3.5 for high level of performance. I had a 4.285/6 for most of the other categories (mom dictated them over the phone, so don't quite have the letter on me). That 0 is what hurt me. I think I'm taking a year off to travel a hell of a lot and re-write the MCAT once more...it's what's holding me back...that and I haven't built a hospital in Africa yet.

What's the plan for you next year? Back to school for the last year?

wow, 42.0~ (just shy, if anyone cares, cut-off is 42.25). Yeah, i got the same thing 0/3.5 for high level of performance. Yeah, i've been thinking of taking a year off, or just finish an HBSc since i'm 3rd year and maybe rewrite the mcat's (again, 9 in VR and N :( holding me back). Altho I have an interview in-prov (manitoba) and here i am actually very competitive so it looks like i'll be at UofM next year (knock on wood). It would have been nice to have options with out of province schools but I'll go wherever they take me i guess

Archived