Premed 101 Forums

September MCAT Thread

roycer

For those who are writing the MCAT in September, how is your studying progressing so far? Right now I'm in the middle of content review...damn have I forgotten a lot since the last time I wrote the MCAT!

Question: Is the same MCAT written across North America on a particular day?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey roycer

I am doing the MCAT on Sept 15. As for content right now, I am doing the EK 10 week home study but I am also modifying it while doing TPR lectures for the same as EK.... I have gone over organic chem once already, same with inorganic chem, through the bio stuff that needed to be done (still have the systems left but I just completed a course on physiology so it doesn't seem that bad)... and have to go over probably 3 more topics in physics..... as for practice tests go I have just been doing the EK Verbal, EK In class exams, the 101 questions, some Kaplan but I am going to be taking my first full length post diagnostic...next week (i started studying around 3 weeks ago)

hey guys!

doing it sept 15.

just done EK verbal tests (1-4)...been getting 8 on most of them so i'm trying hard to improve that mark.

haven't really done much of anything else as I'm basing whether to write it again or not on my verbal mark. If it improves by 'at least one' by next Saturday, I shall start on reviewing the biological and physical sciences. Verbal is the only killer for me....

best regards,

eng_dude786

hey guys,

I'm using the EK books too.... IMHO, i dont know if EK Orgo is worth your time. I think its the one that gets the least favorable reviews on SDN.

If you can, grab Kaplan/TPR Orgo. The Kaplan review book has really good OChem stuff. Starting from nomenclature in the beginning of the book, its way better than EK. This is EKs only book I fin to be a bust.

Just my opinion, but time may bring you to the same conlcusion.

hey!

just my two cents...here's what I've been doing:

Physics/Gen. Chem = Osmosis CD Recording

I find it easier to get what they are saying than Kaplan's physics/gen.chem approach. Plus specific sounds do hammer down the concept really well. I find that the CD uses 'conceptual' reasoning to convey its concepts rather than stating an equation, but they do that sometimes anyway.

For the bio/o.chem, I'm using Kaplan's book. I find that majority of things are laid out in a logical fashion.

VR: i'm doing EK 101 at the moment and just readily randomly where ever I can and trying to improve the score....

any suggestions or inputs would be welcome :) [ps. i haven't used princeton review much...]

hey september peeps

I thought maybe we could add on to progression of results....

So again , I am taking the test on september 15th. I just did AAMC 6 which was my second full length... my first test I got a 8-6-8 ... physical, verbal, biological....

on this test... not that happy with the results but I was sort of dumb in not looking over any answers... had about 10 minutes left in physical, 8 minutes left in verbal and 28 minutes left in biological.... I will change that for next time, just sort of anxious to see results...

anyway I made some progress... scores were

10P, 9V, 9B ... it is good that the test is still 2 months away :)

hope everyone else is doing alright !

• 2 weeks later...
any updates guys?

I've been trying to improve the verbal only so far. My last one was a 9 (msa)

reviewed all of physics, almost done chemistry and half way through and will finish biology this week....tests after that :)

Hey! I am planning on taking my next full length test either this upcoming saturday or upcoming sunday. In terms of studying, I have gone through all the EK material along with the AO a couple times. At first I was jumping in with the 1001 question series but took a step back from those. I just got NOVA physics and went through a few chapters... Overall at the moment I really am doing a bit more text book studying than re-doing some prep... well physics textbook/study guide and human physiology textbook. As well I have done all the 'discrete' questions for bio and organic that kaplan has to offer along with the topical tests... the learning really comes from the test reviewing... This week is well almost a break from work so I have alot of time to further review areas.... hopefully it all works out in the end....

for verbal I have taken a break, I got a 10 on my last EK test but I will have to work that in this week also... for me focus is the main issue... if its there , everything is good but if its not its as if im reading jibberish.

good luck with the studying

• 3 weeks later...

aamc VII done, with

PS 12, VR 6 BS 13

I have 15 days to get my VR to a 10 and Im banking on EK. This was my first time doing it on a comp and imust say its so much harder!

For VR, everything I was reading was going in one ear and out the other, when on paper i remember it better..I need to start getting used to it tho..and the longer lines (as opposed to columns) makes it so much harder to follow..if only I can shorten the column on the real thing

hi guyz

i have the mcat on sept 15 too. for those of you who are taking it that day, which schools are you guyz applying to? are we taking the test too late? just a little worried here

any input much much appreciated

you're good for all the ontario schools for sure

hey dude

that's a killer PS and BS score!! You can do the VR!! Keep at it :)

aamc VII done, with

PS 12, VR 6 BS 13

I have 15 days to get my VR to a 10 and Im banking on EK. This was my first time doing it on a comp and imust say its so much harder!

For VR, everything I was reading was going in one ear and out the other, when on paper i remember it better..I need to start getting used to it tho..and the longer lines (as opposed to columns) makes it so much harder to follow..if only I can shorten the column on the real thing

hey dude

that's a killer PS and BS score!! You can do the VR!! Keep at it :)

Thanks Eng dude! unfortunately a chain being as strong as its weakest link may apply here. Im going through EK now and it seems helpful. Im just doing tests trying using their strategy so it develops as habit, about to start one now actually..good luck to all!

Thanks Eng dude! unfortunately a chain being as strong as its weakest link may apply here. Im going through EK now and it seems helpful. Im just doing tests trying using their strategy so it develops as habit, about to start one now actually..good luck to all!

thanks, good luck to you too!

i'm almost done EK's mini-mcat VR's and they're really hard...i'm getting around 4-5 out of 7-8 on each psg. sighhh VR is so unpredictable...i'm hoping for a miracle. :o

thanks, good luck to you too!

i'm almost done EK's mini-mcat VR's and they're really hard...i'm getting around 4-5 out of 7-8 on each psg. sighhh VR is so unpredictable...i'm hoping for a miracle. :o

You know something? the CBTs are harder to follow because the lines are physicall longer, the old passages had colums with many yet short lines that kept my attention span because i had to constantly go to the next line because they were read so fast...with CBT feels lie i have to drag myself across! haha

I did EK test 1 and I got a 9. I would ideally like to walk out of the mcat knowing i liekly got a 10, but i know that there is no way that's going tohappen, as no one really wants out with that "sure" thing feeling, and those that did have ended up with bad marks! ARRRHGHGHGHG <--frustration :D

the EK mini mcat verbal is harder than the 101 series so I wouldn't be discouraged.

the test is coming up soon and I have wake up to go to work in 6 hours :eek: lol.

I seem to have covered everything on the aamc documents however I sort of did a judgement call on how in depth I would touch subjects.... such as gauss' law and I didn't really go too much into the loop and junction rule for circuits but that may be beyond the scope of this test...but theres still time to review those better i suppose

I still have aamc 9 and 10 to do.... it feels like time is running out especially since school is starts pretty soon

I am pretty tired right now and am downloading the newest episode of entourage :eek: . I think this dude is funny --> :eek:

Anyway I think I may listen to some audio osmosis.... my prep so far consisted of the EK home study scheduale for about the proposed 6 weeks then I tweaked it... i've done the aamc exams, some kaplan stuff here and there with their topical tests and subject tests (feels like a looong time ago) and right now I have refocused my attention to textbooks and their study guides and looking over problems and conceptual questions and online lecture notes from different universities.

:eek:

the EK mini mcat verbal is harder than the 101 series so I wouldn't be discouraged.

the test is coming up soon and I have wake up to go to work in 6 hours :eek: lol.

I seem to have covered everything on the aamc documents however I sort of did a judgement call on how in depth I would touch subjects.... such as gauss' law and I didn't really go too much into the loop and junction rule for circuits but that may be beyond the scope of this test...but theres still time to review those better i suppose

I still have aamc 9 and 10 to do.... it feels like time is running out especially since school is starts pretty soon

I am pretty tired right now and am downloading the newest episode of entourage :eek: . I think this dude is funny --> :eek:

Anyway I think I may listen to some audio osmosis.... my prep so far consisted of the EK home study scheduale for about the proposed 6 weeks then I tweaked it... i've done the aamc exams, some kaplan stuff here and there with their topical tests and subject tests (feels like a looong time ago) and right now I have refocused my attention to textbooks and their study guides and looking over problems and conceptual questions and online lecture notes from different universities.

:eek:

Hey, I would know both Kirchoff's rules, they seem pretty helpful and are not that hard! just current into junction = current out and sum of potential increases = potential drops

Entourage eh? NICE! I am quite behind and I can't wait till I'm done and I can catch up on that.

I meant I did the EK 101 passages thing, so I might actually hav emy work cut of for me..but i have to ask:

when people talk about EK, is it the 101 passages or the mini tests? and if they are the mini tests are they the ones in the mathematical and verbal strategy booklet?

how does 101 passages compare to AAMC?

Archived