Premed 101 Forums

September MCAT Thread

roycer

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol, cuter than my 4 in PS? :P

By the way avenir, everyone has been yelling at me to tell you to get msn... so yeah... can you please reinstall it? Or at least use msn2go.com? or e-msn or whatever lol

:P

my computer almost died on me AGAIN 10 minutes ago cuz of the virus it got from u...AND i haven't even started my ubc application yet!!! ie no time to babysit :P

Well, I'm bored studying for my first med exam and I loved the verbal and writing parts of the MCAT so here's my take on it. corrections and comments are in bold.

might as well post mine...

I think my examples were a little bit off topic but let me know what you think:

Wealthy politicians cannot offer fair representation to all the people.

To be successful in a government, politicians must sufficiently represent a group, if not all, of society. Groups with different income levels regardless of their economic status have different issues and concerns. Ideally, fair representation will address all of those needs. (remove the following sentence and you'll improve the flow and not lose anything) The middle class wants a lower tax rate to increase their net income while the higher class have more than enough money to sustain themselves and the lower class pay a relatively small percentage, sometimes none. Politicians with a wealthy family background are more likely to deal with problems of the higher and middle class. Even if they want to represent the lower class, they simply do not have the associated life experience and thinking styles to provide relevant solutions. Despite the numerous efforts to reduce global poverty, 1% of the population holds more wealth than 40% of the rest of the world. Clearly, the actions of the relatively more rich politicians are not sufficient. (great example to support your point. awesome)

On the other hand, certain values and issues pertain to all groups regardless of their income. (The following example doesn't follow the logic of a counterargument that rich politicians can't offer fair representation. Tony Blair was not rich so he's not an example of when a wealthy politician can offer fair representation. This can cost you big marks on the actual test). Tony Blair, who won three consecutive terms as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom for ten years, originated from a middle class. He has gained huge wealthy, buying over ten properties since his 'presidency'. He has always found a way to 'communicate to his people through television with his chram', claimed by Anthony seldon, political analyst. In 1997 on the morning of Princess Diana's death, Blair gave an emotional eulogy: 'She will always be the people's princess and will remain in our hearts forever'. In addition, during the most significant twenty-four hours of his term where he won the bid on the 2012 London Olympics in Singapore, he responded to the bombing in London's transportation systemt he next morning. People looked to him for guidance again, as in 1997. Clearly, his wealth has not diminished his ability to guide and represent his people on these issues.

As a result of how politicians are raised, their financial ability restricts their beliefs to the according social class. However, global issues affect all regardless of social class and the goals of wealthy politicians correlate with those of the public. Moreoever, Blair who has gone through a transition of social classes was able to reflect on the different values of those classes. Nevertheless, it is important for a government to attempt for equal representation of all people in its decision. Without maintaining the diversity of its people through relevant actions, a nation will not succeed.

So no major grammatical errors except what can be expected in 30min, but that logic flaw can probably cost you big points. You nailed the first argument and the example, but because the counterargument was a bit weak, it kinda affected your conclusion. Probably a guaranteed 3-4/6 but I'm not sure about anything higher. If you fixed the logic error, it'd be a guaranteed 5/6 and if you had a particularly good day and start laying down error free articulate prose, you'd nail it.

Hope it was helpful. Good luck on the real deal!

So here I go again, hours before my exam:

In a democracy, the successful politician resembles the ordinary citizen

In the electoral system, the main objective of democracy is to elect a candidate that represents the concerns and ideas of the majority. It is no surprise that the successful politicians often resemble the actions and perspectives of the ordinary citizen, who are also the majority of the population. Citizens often feel a closer connection to such elected leaders and belief they will share the same values when making governmental decisions. Tony Blair, who won three consecutive landslide general elections as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, is a typical example. He 'found a way to communicate to the public through his charming words on television', claimed political analyst Anthony Seldon. At the morning of Princess' Diana's death in 1997, Blair developed an emotionally-charge eulogy that "she was the people's princess, and she will stay and remain in our hearts and mind". As a result, Blair received a huge popularity boost by resembling the nation's view; which is, however, sometimes not united.

There are times when the public does not necessarily agree on a subject matter. A leader will have to choose a stance. Of course he can remain neutral, but this would be detrimental to his career especially in showing apathy. Within hours of the September-eleventh incident, Blair reported that "we will stand shoulder to shoulder with the United States" and further reinforing with his charming words that "we have been with you at the beginning and will stay with you till the end". Blair's advocation of sending troops to support to US was not favored by all. Although the UK forces played a significant role in eliminating most of the Al Qaeda threat in Afghanistan, the nation's view were splitted. Many UK citizens felt the war involvement were beyond the expected while many thought it was necessary for fighting terrorism. During meetings and other appearances, Blair was often questioned for his decision to fight the war. But perhaps this is what a succeesful leader should do - to make decisions for his people. AFter all, a leader should be leading and providing direction for the citizen, and not vice versa

To gain popularity and secure a political position, politicians must resemble some, if not all, of the public's view. On controversial issues that even the ordinary citizen cannot obtain a consensus, however, a successful leader must choose a stance, even if it is not favored by all of his people. Clearly, Blair has shown sufficient flexibility in reflecting the citizens' perspective, which was vital in securing his ten-year prime minister term.

haha sisyphus, don't worry im sure you'll be fine. It sux, first day of school and i had no work, just intro classes. went to bed at 12, woke up at like 5, and i couldn't sleep OR do work, and i dont have my sin handy to start my appz, so i watched a movie instead, and now heading to the gym. Good luck everyone who's writing. Keep your cool and don't be nervous...the day flies by really fast surprisingly!!

Duuuuuuude...I don't want to sleep. Must, get, more, verbal, practice, in.

To answer your question though, try reading some verbal passages while lying down in bed?

Finaaaaaaaaaaaal stretch! Last AAMC full length (8 CBT) tomorrow morning at 8AM for me! Studying verbal for the rest of today and tomorrow, and then partying it up + practicing some verbal on Friday!

the day is coming so close, I haven't done a full length in 2 weeks:eek but I have been re-doing sections of aamc's under timed conditions (have been getting really over 90 % and up on all the redo's but I mean after having done them already you would except to get 100 right?....) oh and im not talking about verbal. Other than that, I have just been going to class and maybe thats why I have been able to get sleep, it drains me lol. Verbal though is sorta funny I mean I have been doing a couple each day which I think is important but its really going to depend on how much I'm focused on the actual test... Is anyone else getting a little test anxiety? I know I've studied a fair bit of material but am starting to feel 'should i know more, why am I going to class when I could be brushing things up, etc, etc, I guess also posting on here :rolleyes:) Anyway, goodluck guys :)

I am so screwed this Saturday. I just got a 7 in verbal. :(

24/40. The most embarassing part? I got 7 wrong in Passage II; the one about literary study and literature. The passages seemed really hard this time around and I barely had time to finish the last one.

14PS and 13BS though. **** verbal.

Archived