Premed 101 Forums

September MCAT Thread

roycer

My PS yesterday was WAY easier than PR's, the VR was similar to PR's, and nothing like EK (which I thought was supposed to be most similar to AAMC).

I've taken the MCAT before and verbal was definitely just like AAMCs tests (duh).

Good to hear that the PS is easier than PR's; I can't get higher than a 12 in PR's PS or BS! Thanks for the input ducky!

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've taken the MCAT before and verbal was definitely just like AAMCs tests (duh).

Good to hear that the PS is easier than PR's; I can't get higher than a 12 in PR's PS or BS! Thanks for the input ducky!

second that..aamc X was not really reflective of the verbal cuz it was uber hard, but it was good practice! aamx 6-9 was i think virtually identitical in terms of difficulty and style to my mcat

I just did an EK Verbal, and am doing awful. I got 9s/10s/11s on AAMC tests and 10s on PR's, but I'm seeing 8s/9s on EK. Am I just not getting the main idea? Arrghhh...a week to go. I've been reading economist.com daily, but I can't help but feel like it's going to be a crapshoot on the day of. I mean, if people are getting 14s/15s, there must be some skill involved. Why haven't I discovered yet?!

I sorta feel the same way right now... as in it seems like my best verbal scores were from a month ago! oh well, I think the best thing to do is to try an be relaxed, if you get too anxious your score could really suffer. How are we 15thers doing for final prep this week? I will probably do some light review but am will be going to class during the week.

if someone would be kind enough to provide some feedback.....

Progress seldom comes from the deliberations of a group. Rather, progress most often comes from the creative thinking of individuals working alone.

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in which progress might come from the deliberations of a group rather than the creative thinking of individuals working alone. Discuss what you think determines whether the deliberations of a group or the creative thinking of individuals working alone will result in progress.

Progress is evident throughout the history of humans. From century to century certain individuals have used invention and innovation to progress in the field of knowledge. This progress in knowledge usually leads to a progress in a better and more comfortable life. This progress can be traced back to the creative thinking of individuals working alone. Newton serves a good example. Through his revolutionary discoveries he was able to invent the field of calculus and differential mathematics. His Gravitational laws led to a higher understanding of knowledge and eventually progressed the field of astronomy. Newton is known to be at a fierce competition with the known scientists of the time such as Leibinez. It was through his creative thinking and working alone that allowed him to concentrate and postulate on his several known laws. Einstein was also of no exception as he also worked exclusively alone in advancing the field of quantum physics. Additionally, Shakespeare often worked in isolation when writing his plays and sonnets. Through working alone and being isolated from the external world, where the above mentioned people able to produce magnificent works. As a result they progressed the limits of their respective fields.

However there are at times when collaborating with a group can lead to progress. Take for example any of the charities that aid in the progression of finding cures for diseases such as cancer. By working together the people are raising funds to find more about the deadly diseases and their cures. In a more domestic example, a study group to study for a test can also aid in the acquisition of knowledge. A student is likely to make progress in gaining knowledge when working together with fellow students and helping each other out. In this scenario, progress comes from the deliberations of a group working together.

In summary, if similar aspirations, commitments and goals of a few individuals are in line with one another, then progress can come from being in a group. In having a goal of raising more funds, the goals of the individuals comprising of the fund-raising committee are aligned. This leads to a more effective progress because everyone is supporting one another. Similarly for the high school students, if the goals and willingness to collaborate is common then progress can be attained. However, if there is no willingness to collaborate and if the group is not on the same 'intellectual' level then it is more efficient to work individually. In the class room study group, if there is a wide spectrum of intellects and conflicting personalities, then it is more efficient to work alone. Similarly, since Newton was not willing to share his research ideas, his progress came from working alone.

if someone would be kind enough to provide some feedback.....

Progress seldom comes from the deliberations of a group. Rather, progress most often comes from the creative thinking of individuals working alone.

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in which progress might come from the deliberations of a group rather than the creative thinking of individuals working alone. Discuss what you think determines whether the deliberations of a group or the creative thinking of individuals working alone will result in progress.

Progress is evident throughout the history of humans. From century to century certain individuals have used invention and innovation to progress in the field of knowledge. This progress in knowledge usually leads to a progress in a better and more comfortable life. This progress can be traced back to the creative thinking of individuals working alone. Newton serves a good example. Through his revolutionary discoveries he was able to invent the field of calculus and differential mathematics. His Gravitational laws led to a higher understanding of knowledge and eventually progressed the field of astronomy. Newton is known to be at a fierce competition with the known scientists of the time such as Leibinez. It was through his creative thinking and working alone that allowed him to concentrate and postulate on his several known laws. Einstein was also of no exception as he also worked exclusively alone in advancing the field of quantum physics. Additionally, Shakespeare often worked in isolation when writing his plays and sonnets. Through working alone and being isolated from the external world, where the above mentioned people able to produce magnificent works. As a result they progressed the limits of their respective fields.

However there are at times when collaborating with a group can lead to progress. Take for example any of the charities that aid in the progression of finding cures for diseases such as cancer. By working together the people are raising funds to find more about the deadly diseases and their cures. In a more domestic example, a study group to study for a test can also aid in the acquisition of knowledge. A student is likely to make progress in gaining knowledge when working together with fellow students and helping each other out. In this scenario, progress comes from the deliberations of a group working together.

In summary, if similar aspirations, commitments and goals of a few individuals are in line with one another, then progress can come from being in a group. In having a goal of raising more funds, the goals of the individuals comprising of the fund-raising committee are aligned. This leads to a more effective progress because everyone is supporting one another. Similarly for the high school students, if the goals and willingness to collaborate is common then progress can be attained. However, if there is no willingness to collaborate and if the group is not on the same 'intellectual' level then it is more efficient to work individually. In the class room study group, if there is a wide spectrum of intellects and conflicting personalities, then it is more efficient to work alone. Similarly, since Newton was not willing to share his research ideas, his progress came from working alone.

hey Engdude, I would give that essay a 4. the introduction of the prompt was good, the emphasis on task 1 was also pretty good, but task 2 had less weight to it and could have had more emphasis. A solid concrete example is there, but you could have introduced complexity and depth to it if you had spent more time on it. Task 3 is great, so id say its 4 but was very close to being a >=5. Good work!

Guys I need some advice. I don't have a good feeling about my mcat score. I felt it went alright after I left, but as the days pass i think i did worse and worse. My PS felt like i did well, but the more i think about it the worst it makes me feel. BS was pretty tough, but i know everyone found that. Regardless, I reviewed the raw score conversions for BS on the tests and they all stayed pretty much the same..ie 65 = 10/11, and its always just +/- 1, so i dont know how much the curve can save me.

I am estimating a 10 9 10 as a pretty bad case scenario (although not WORST), best being 11(12)/10/11

If i find a spot, do you guys think i should write sept 15? is it normal to feel like you didn't do as well as you thought? Should I wait it out till october 7?

I say you re-write only if you ended up getting all the topics in BS/PS where you're weak at. If you thought it was pretty fair, then don't re-write as the curve will do its job.

I realized i cant rewrite this year anywayz, and unfortunately i did get all the weak topics for PS (fluids, diffraction, atomic and nuclear phenomena) and BS, but i felt lucky cuz VR wasnt as hard as AAMC X, i think im going to just wait it out. Thanks Jixe!

I hope it works out for you alastriss! My turn! Honest opinions please.

Wealthy politicians cannot offer fair representation to all the people.

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in which a wealthy politician might offer fair representation to all the people. Discuss what you think determines whether a wealthy politician can or cannot offer fair representation to all the people.

Money impedes a politician's responsiblity to represent his/her people. A politician's duty is to listen to the needs of his/her people and positively respond to them. The act of positively responding to the majority of them is known as fair representation. There are times when this fair representation cannot be upheld. These instances often involve wealthy politicians. These politicians often let their moral duties subside in favour of amassing greater fortune for themselves and their associates. These politicians are often subject to corruption by providing benefits to only certain people. For example, these benefits can take the form of tax breaks and increased governmental spending allowances. As such, the wealthy politician is shifting resources from the majority to a select group of individuals which the majority of people would undoubtedly object to.

There are instances where wealthy politicians are not objected to by their people for unfair representation. In times of re-election, a wealthy politician will provide his/her people with whatever they desire in order to ensure their re-instatment into the political system. In these cases, it is favourable for a politician to represent his/her people in a fair and just manner. By satisfying the needs of all the people, the politician increases his chances of being re-elected. In India, the mayor of the city of Rajkot re-imposed taxation on the revenues from his oil companies just prior to elections. Having done this, Mr. Gopal provided a fair economic environment for his people after many years, and ensured his place in government for the term.

Being re-instated in government is very important for politicians. Wealthy politicians are no exception. A wealthy politician is subject to human nature's capalistic ways and as such, a wealthy politician cannot offer fair representation in times where there isn't any risk that his/her position will be relinquished. On the other hand, where the wealthy politician's position in government is at stake, he/she will benefit from providing fair representation to all the people in the ideal that he/she may be re-elected.

I'd say a 4. I somehow feel like you kind or repeated the same thing a few times...and I remember reading the sample essays saying something about they don't like you using the same word (ex. wealthy), if you have good syntax (word choice?) you're more likely to get a 5 cuz you show a fair use of the language

might as well post mine...

I think my examples were a little bit off topic but let me know what you think:

Wealthy politicians cannot offer fair representation to all the people.

To be successful in a government, politicians must sufficiently represent a group, if not all, of society. Groups with different income level (higher, middle, or lower class) have different issues and concerns. It is ideal to find solutions that address all concerns but this is almost never accomplishable. The middle class wants a lower tax rate to increase their net income while the higher class have more than enough money to sustain themselves and the lower class pay a relatively small percentage, sometimes none. Politicians with a wealthy family background are more likely to deal with problems of the higher and middle class. Even if he wants to present the lower class, he simply does not have the associated life experience with poor people and cannot provide relevant solutions. Despite the numerous to reduce global poverty, 1% of the population holds more wealth than 40% of the rest of the world. Clearly, the actions of the relatively more rich politicians are not sufficient.

On the other hand, certain values and issues pertain to all groups regardless of their income. Tony Blair, who won three consecutive terms as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom for ten years, originated from a middle class. He has gained huge wealthy, buying over ten properties since his 'presidency'. He has always found a way to 'communicate to his people through television with his chram', claimed by Anthony seldon, political analyst. In 1997 on the morning of Princess Diana's death, Blair gave an emotional eulogy: 'She will always be the people's princess and will remain in our hearts forever'. In addition, during the most significant twenty-four hours of his term where he won the bid on the 2012 London Olympics in Singapore, he responded to the bombing in London's transportation systemt he next morning. People looked to him for guidance again, as in 1997. Clearly, his wealth has not diminished his ability to guide and represent his people on these issues.

As a result of how politicians are raised, their financial ability restricts their beliefs to the according social class. However, global crisis issues affect all regardless of social class and wealthy or not, politicians' values correlate with those of the public here. Moreoever, Blair who has gone through a transition of social classes was able to reflect on the different values of those classes. Nevertheless, it is important for a government to attempt for equal representation of all people in its decision. Without maintaining the diversity of its people through relevant actions, a nation will not succeed.

i also need some advice...

I've been kind of neglecting BS for the last little while. It's my last week. Any suggestions on the important topics to review? (all the systems?)

....thanks

Make time to review everything, even the little things that you don't think are important, you never know what can come on the exam these days.

yes, know everything...no detail is too detailed for the mcat lol...know even the structures...everything from sex hormones to beta hydroxy gamma lactones... :eek::D

it seems to me that at least one section of the mcat cbt turns out to be a killer...it's just your luck which one u'll get...so u've gotta be prepared for anything...this wasn't my attitude last year, but things sure seem to have changed :rolleyes:

Sisyphus,

I know what you're trying to say, but the thesis didn't come out very well. You later state in your synthesis: "As a result of how politicians are raised, their financial ability restricts their beliefs to the according social class." I think it would have been better phrased as, "a politician best represents the social class of which s/he him/herself grew up in." Your idea and elaboration definitely warrant a 5, but be a little more straight-forward?

wow, thanks for granting me a 5!

You know, when i wrote it I thought it was great, but the more I look at it, it feels like a 4 more than 5 to me.

One of the reasons for the elaborative example is to do a little bit of research

I have a set of facts for a political topic and a business topic (which is usually the more difficult ones) then just try to 'tweak' your example into the thesis, that way the essay would have much more depth

yeah I did some kaplan VR, at first I did not fare too great at it, then I started to do pretty well on it. All in all though, I found it quite different than AAMC and think that the AAMC passages are easier to read and well more 'pleasant to read' especially compared to kaplan 8,9,10,11. VR is still a crapshoot for me, seems like my best scores are a month behind me:confused: although I made some good progress today, I think my weapon of choice during the mcat will be energy drinks lol, it definitely helps me focus... as for studying right now I feel like I wasted a whole day I had 7 and a half hours of class today and I actually went :eek: . My review right now is just consists of going over lecture notes in the domains which will get tested, I think they provide a pretty good sample of all the material but I am not doing more than that...

ya kaplan didn't seem that great. More or less the only thing I can really do for the moment is re-do some aamc passages and also target how the correct answers are worded. hmm I don't know if the past mcats for the latter of august and september have had much physiology but im hopin that the aamc makes it a physiology bs :rolleyes:

IMO kaplan is good for one thing: practicing how to draw out the 'main idea'.

thats cuz you read the passage, force yourself to write out the main idea, which helps your articulation, and then you can check in the back for the topic scope and paragraph by paragraph map out to see if you nailed the main idea.

AAMC exams are by FAR, and I emphasize by FARRRR, the best resource out there. In fact I felt that doing kaplan subconsciously shifts your focus to taking on a different style of questions and possibly interfering with your aamc performance.

Archived