Premed 101 Forums

September MCAT Thread

roycer

I'll post mine but after alistriss' i'm really self conscious of it. I know its not that good and i already think i know how i can improve on it but i thought i'ld ask you guys too:

In education, the newest way is not always the best way.

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in education when the "newest way" might in fact be the best way. Discuss what you think determines whether or not innovation in education is an improvement.

Over the course of time one assumes that something will be modified for the better based on previous experiences and an understanding for what works based on experiment. This may not always be the case. In teaching and transferring skills to other people there must care in the consideration of how they learn. Take an example of classical lecture-based course verse a course taken online. The lecture based course can better facilitate students because it has direct relationship between the professor and the student which offers more availability and personal help in understanding the subject. The online course, while slightly more convenient, does not offer this relationship and thus the student is at a disadvantage for maximizing their understanding of the subject. You should also take into account what is reasonable for the student to understand. Quantum physics has developed into increasing fields that tell us that the bohr hydrogen atom model and most of Newton’s equations are wrong when looked at in extreme detail. This however takes a great understanding of advanced physics and math before one can understand these highly advanced concepts. It is better in a rudimentary physics class to teach Newton’s and Bohr’s principles even though they are wrong because they still have the ability to approximate reasonable solutions and lay the ground work for our physical understanding of the universe.

There are however cases where the newest form can be the best form. In the light of the computer age and the advent of internet a wealth of knowledge is accessible at a fingertip. This has greatly influenced how we generate and accumulate knowledge and our education has to reflect the evolution in the forms of knowledge that are produced. It would be unreasonable to ignore the internet and require students to gather information only through published books that they can access. Teachers must now assimilate to the modern age and teach students how to research with the internet, to find there resources such as periodicals, texts and others through searches that immediately and efficiently give valuable information.

When trying to understand what form of education is better one must look at the student’s ability to understand and learn from that form, independent of when it was produced. You have to criticize the educational form in the context of its social surrounding in time and in culture and if the student is benefiting more from one form verse another. This is completely independent of when something is produced because this is not a factor in assessing whether an educational form is better. Thus one must find a way to assess whether one form is better than another through explicit means. It is not a safe assumption that new forms have been adapted from old forms in the idea that it is now better since not all forms are adapted from new ones.

Lol last time i got an N on the mcat so anything 4 or higher's an improvement

i think its a 4, all the tasks were developed, but I think that u were on the verge of going into some really complex ideas but suddenly stopped, which kind of teased me, from my experience, N = 2 x 3, and that is more than 3 IMO

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You state, "what form of education is better one must look at the student’s ability to understand and learn from that form, independent of when it was produced." Is that your synthesis?

You've definitely answered the questions, so a 4 is in order. In my opinion, you need a stronger synthesis. Remember to tie in your examples to the conclusion to solidify that your examples work.

Here's another idea?

T: foundation/elementary learning is tried, tested and true. newest way may not be the best way as there is a risk that it may not be effective (or worse, be negative) on an individual's learning abilities later in life

AT: medical school --> problem-based learning vs traditional learning styles

S: depends whether the 'education' is higher-learning or foundational

Another:

S: whether assessment as to the efficacy of the newer way can be obtained quickly or not

Edit: Maybe we should start a WS thread?

I got 9 9 2 (Bio/P/VR) last year, I know my verbal was...., but I now manged to get 9 in AMACS 4 test in verbal, after 9 months of practise I ama not sure, is 4 was to easy or I am doing good, I am ok with even 8, cuz I can get 13 now in both bio and physics, do u think cbt 4 was too easy??

I got 9 9 2 (Bio/P/VR) last year, I know my verbal was...., but I now manged to get 9 in AMACS 4 test in verbal, after 9 months of practise I ama not sure, is 4 was to easy or I am doing good, I am ok with even 8, cuz I can get 13 now in both bio and physics, do u think cbt 4 was too easy??

Dude, you brought it up 7 points. Congratulations. KEEP PRACTICING!

Government policy should be directed at addressing the needs of the presents.

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in which government policy might be directed at addressing concerns of the future rather than the needs of the presents. Discuss what you think determines when government policy should be directed at addressing present needs and when it should be directed addressing future concerns.

S: if there is considerable present economic despair, then governments should tailor policies to focus on long-term improvement for the future; in positive conditions, policy should be directed at present.

Any other ideas? I'm finding it hard to come up with ideas this time around...

Government policy should be directed at addressing the needs of the presents.

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in which government policy might be directed at addressing concerns of the future rather than the needs of the presents. Discuss what you think determines when government policy should be directed at addressing present needs and when it should be directed addressing future concerns.

S: if there is considerable present economic despair, then governments should tailor policies to focus on long-term improvement for the future; in positive conditions, policy should be directed at present.

Any other ideas? I'm finding it hard to come up with ideas this time around...

hmmm, i'ld actually argue the opposite.

T: in a sudden and catastrophic disaster governement should be concerned with finding quick and effective solutions such as katrina relief and getting aid and rescue ppl to the location and relocating them (even if temporarily).

AT: Certain area's like the increasing effect of pollution and CFC's are directly contributing to a decrease in environmental standards that will lead to worse conditions in the future.

S: There must be stability of short term problems before long term problems can be adressed. Once everyone from new orleans is safe, long term plans can be made to address the economic impacts and how to resolve the problems. environment control is reasonably stable but is showing gradual impact and becomeing increasingly probelmatic and thus longterm plans should be established to curb damage to the environment

... that's a rough idea

[edit] just thought of this ... alternate S: depends on the type of problem and whether longterm or shorterm solutinos can fix the problem. economies + evnironment - longterm, natural disasters - shortterm

lol, it already seems like my thinking is a bit scattered ...

That works well vip. Thanks!

Let's try another?

In politics, money equals power.

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific political situation in which money might not equal power. Discuss what you think determines when money equals power in politics and when it does not.

Let's try another?

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific political situation in which money might not equal power. Discuss what you think determines when money equals power in politics and when it does not.

T: campaign with all-new candidates with relatively little deviation in accomplishments --> more money, better campaign

AT: once elected, power is dictated by your popularity --> popularity is gained from favourable actions

S: pre-election vs post-election

This is weaaaaaaak. Any help?

Let's try another?

hmmm, that's a bit tougher ...

T: campaign donators that donate significant donations to a political candidate which should help in getting that candidate elected in the hopes that they would favor their side on issues of interest

AT: some politicians may ignore or oppose their campaign donators if they think this will hurt them politically with the public, since the public decides who is elected and how long a politician

S: politicians thus have 2 factors to consider, the public and their campaign contributors. If they assess the situation and find that the public will have a greater impact on their election, then they will ignore campaign contributors assuming campaign contributors and the public have alternative sides on an issue

[edit] i didn't see yours when i made my post. Its pretty good.

I'm going to the states to take the 11th one. Wish you guys luck!

Anyone have AAMC CBT 6 and 9? I paid for quite a few already, would be great if someone is extermely generous in sending me some 'copies'! (please private)

Cheers

I have the tests for CBT 6 and 9 but not the answers for any section other than VR.

i just found an interesting trend of mine for verbal, I looked at some of the practice tests I have done and the majority of my wrong answers come in the first 3 passages as opposed to the latter 4... I think I might read a couple of passages during that 10 minute break after PS :rolleyes:

Archived