Premed 101 Forums

September MCAT Thread

roycer

Guest begaster

Man, the VR on the Princeton Review tests destroy my self-esteem. I hate you, Princeton Review. I love you, AAMC practice tests with comparatively easy verbal reasoning.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, the VR on the Princeton Review tests destroy my self-esteem. I hate you, Princeton Review. I love you, AAMC practice tests with comparatively easy verbal reasoning.

Can you elaborate on your definition of destroyed? What scores did you get on the respective tests? I find the trick to PR tests is to annotate HEAVILY as a lot of the questions are factual-based. AAMC tests are more along the lines of 'the main point' type. Unfortunately I'm not very good with the latter lately.

Guest begaster

I've gotten two 11s and two 9s on the PR tests (I got 9 today, though one of the questions was absolute bull**** in that it was a free-standing question on a verbal passage! Nothing to read, just some random question on its own page...). I've gotten two 13s on the AAMC test, and one 12.

i just found an interesting trend of mine for verbal, I looked at some of the practice tests I have done and the majority of my wrong answers come in the first 3 passages as opposed to the latter 4... I think I might read a couple of passages during that 10 minute break after PS :rolleyes:

Just a warning, some locations don't allow test-takers to review notes or do any reading during the 10 minute breaks. Also, some test-takers who have been caught had a note written to the AAMC from the proctors.

I've gotten two 11s and two 9s on the PR tests (I got 9 today, though one of the questions was absolute bull**** in that it was a free-standing question on a verbal passage! Nothing to read, just some random question on its own page...). I've gotten two 13s on the AAMC test, and one 12.

I know! That was raaaaandom.

What's your trick with AAMC? Are you doing anything different? Do you highlight quite a bit?

I was hoping you guys could critique another essay i wrote, keep in mind i didn't proof read it ... :

Our belief in an idea only lasts until the introduction of the next idea.

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in which an idea might continue to be believed even after the introduction of an idea that challenges it. Discuss what you think determines whether or not our belief in an idea will be displaced by a new idea.

As cognitive thinking race we are always evolving with our ideas and times change. Ideas can be abstract like a theory or objective like an invention but both serve a purpose to offer a model that explains our surroundings or facilitates our actions in our surroundings. As ideas are proposed, they soon take over older ideas that may have inconsistencies. Many people used to believe that the world was flat and that we were the center of the universe. This idea was cemented in people’s minds because of physical observations that the earth which we walk on did seem to be flat and cultural contexts that presumed that we were the most important and thus the center of the universe. This idea was however rejected as scientists made detail measurements and made the observation that the earth was actually spherical and that it has an orbit around the sun. These ideas offered better explanations to the observations that were assessed at the time and thus grew in acceptance over time. This is the mark of humans to adapt to new ideas and evolve in our understanding of our surroundings.

There are however some ideas that have been put forth that may challenge old institutions but are not believed by the majority of the public. The developments in quantum physics have radically changed the field of classical physics and much of what we thought were true are apparently not valid. The Hisenberg principle for example demonstrate that we can not know both the momentum and location at the same time and schrodinger’s equation tells us we can only say with probabilities where certain events are happening. This however is a difficult concept to accept and many people don’t like rejecting their classical ideas of phsyics. Many think if you everything must have a defined location in space and time or that quantum physics is “just a theory”, even in the light of what modern physics has to say.

Whether a new idea gains acceptance within the public is based on how radically it deviates from older accepted ideas and how easily it can be proved right. An idea like the earth is spherical and orbits the sun can be easily proven to any observer. One can fly in a plane around the world if he likes to prove to himself that it is round. One could take telescope measurements at different times in the year to prove that the earth are orbiting the sun. Advanced ideas like quantum physics though are not readibly discernable and thus not generally accepted by a majority of the population. To understand these ideas requires indepth understanding of advanced physics, many of whom lack. Even if an idea is correct, it depends on how easily the general public can understand and interpret the idea before it can be widely accepted.

Guest begaster
I know! That was raaaaandom.

What's your trick with AAMC? Are you doing anything different? Do you highlight quite a bit?

I glance over the questions quickly to find key words, and then I just get to it, highlighting parts with those key words or anything I feel might be asked about (if I see a list, I'll highlight its start-point). Maybe I've just been lucky.

I was hoping you guys could critique another essay i wrote, keep in mind i didn't proof read it ... :

Our belief in an idea only lasts until the introduction of the next idea.

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in which an idea might continue to be believed even after the introduction of an idea that challenges it. Discuss what you think determines whether or not our belief in an idea will be displaced by a new idea.

As cognitive thinking race we are always evolving with our ideas and times change. Ideas can be abstract like a theory or objective like an invention but both serve a purpose to offer a model that explains our surroundings or facilitates our actions in our surroundings. As ideas are proposed, they soon take over older ideas that may have inconsistencies. Many people used to believe that the world was flat and that we were the center of the universe. This idea was cemented in people’s minds because of physical observations that the earth which we walk on did seem to be flat and cultural contexts that presumed that we were the most important and thus the center of the universe. This idea was however rejected as scientists made detail measurements and made the observation that the earth was actually spherical and that it has an orbit around the sun. These ideas offered better explanations to the observations that were assessed at the time and thus grew in acceptance over time. This is the mark of humans to adapt to new ideas and evolve in our understanding of our surroundings.

There are however some ideas that have been put forth that may challenge old institutions but are not believed by the majority of the public. The developments in quantum physics have radically changed the field of classical physics and much of what we thought were true are apparently not valid. The Hisenberg principle for example demonstrate that we can not know both the momentum and location at the same time and schrodinger’s equation tells us we can only say with probabilities where certain events are happening. This however is a difficult concept to accept and many people don’t like rejecting their classical ideas of phsyics. Many think if you everything must have a defined location in space and time or that quantum physics is “just a theory”, even in the light of what modern physics has to say.

Whether a new idea gains acceptance within the public is based on how radically it deviates from older accepted ideas and how easily it can be proved right. An idea like the earth is spherical and orbits the sun can be easily proven to any observer. One can fly in a plane around the world if he likes to prove to himself that it is round. One could take telescope measurements at different times in the year to prove that the earth are orbiting the sun. Advanced ideas like quantum physics though are not readibly discernable and thus not generally accepted by a majority of the population. To understand these ideas requires indepth understanding of advanced physics, many of whom lack. Even if an idea is correct, it depends on how easily the general public can understand and interpret the idea before it can be widely accepted.

Easily a 5. Quite possibly a 6. Well done.

"Whether a new idea gains acceptance within the public is based on how radically it deviates from older accepted ideas and how easily it can be proved right."

Yup, that's a 5/6. A nice improvement over your last attempt!

I'll throw up a couple essays on here by the end of the day.

Here's what Law thinks:

Overall: Good work, but you can still improve!

Ideas:

*Good job stating definition at the start, however, it was kind of rushed and maybe should have been more developed. Clarify a bit about the objective vs abstract, you seemed to state it and then not fully make the connection in your paragraph (i.e. tie the definition into the context of the statement they give you and the examples you use).

*I would perhaps elaborate your first paragraph a tiny bit more. It was good, but they like to see that you really took the time to consider the full implications of the statement... you provided an excellent example, but I would maybe build up your explanation a bit more.

*Great use of examples, you seemed to have a great understanding and complexity of thought, which is good.

*Synthesis was rather brief. Take more time to try to analyze the true meaning of each statement. Yes, you said easily observable vs hard to observe... but I would have liked to see it developed a bit more.

*Work on communication and punctuation use. Some of your sentences could read easier if you used commas.

Overall, great work ginger.

Can someone critique? I'm not a strong writer so I'd be happy with a P, though I am aiming for a Q or R.

Progress often complicates as much as it simplifies.

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in which progress does not complicate as much as simplifies. Discuss what you think determines when progress complicates and when it simplifies.

The world we live in today is a marvel of advanced technology and state-of-the-art creations. Desktop and laptop computers have become increasingly more complex in the functions they are capable of performing, especially with the advent of such operating systems like Windows XP or Windows Vista. Such rapid progress in improving technology can often complicate their use for individuals who lack the proper background or experience. With the advent of computers with faster processors, more RAM memory, and more complex operating systems, their use can seemed complicated for individuals who were born before the large wave of technological advances. A grandfather who was born in the 1930's or so might want to type a letter to his grandson, but cannot do so if he only had access to a new computer, and lacked the skills to operate it. In such a case, the progress in developing a advanced computer complicated the task for this individual.

Though, technology usually advances for a purpose. We invent new machines, programs, ideas often so that we can perform many of our daily tasks more efficiently or accurately. If a university student required certain important information from a library book that spanned over 10 pages, without the advent of a computer scanner, the student would of had to hand-write the entire 10 pages before returning the book. Such a task would take possibly hours, as opposed to minutes with a computer scanner. In such a case, progress in development of new technology has simplified the task for the student. The student can now utilize his or her extra time on other tasks that are probably more pertinent, such as finishing the lab report which required the research.

Whether or not progress in new technology simplifies or complicates the life of an individual depends on whether he or she has had experience with the advancement, or has been taught how it could be best utilized. The functions available in a computer would seem complicated to anyone who has never seen such a machine before. Conversely, a computer programmer working for Microsoft would operate such machines as if it were second nature. It is because the programmer has had extensive experience and training, and the grandfather mentioned above has not. Presumably, if one were allow the grandfather to use a computer on a more regular basis, and with some instruction, he would find that the progress in inventing the computer simplifies the task of typing over using a device such as a typewriter. Education and experience is the key to enjoy the advances in a world whose potential is practically limitless.

I think you performed the tasks well, so I think id give it a 4.

I would have done everything else the same, but maybe talked about how increasing technology is but a response to a society that is becoming more complicated, and so technology can simplify being in this complicated world, but inherent is a level of complexity that may be overwhelming to those who are more inert to influence of a increasingly technocractic society.

Great work tho..and nice to see the WS coming!

3 Questions:

1. think I can go light on the orgo? I've been going nuts on PS and VR and doubt I'll get to look at to really learn it, but I know the general concepts. Opinions?

2. on the topics of the essay, how do you PR people find they marked your essays on the online tests. They keep giving me nothing higher than a 4 on each, but tell me I did "an excellent job" with no advice on how to get a higher score...is it just their tough tactic?

3. I have a horrible cold (great timing, I know). can I bring kleenex in? or am I going to have to resort to wiping my nose on my sleeve like my family suggested? I hope for the person sitting next to me I can bring kleenex in otherwise I'll be sniffling!

i give up

arrrrrrrrrrrrr

VR...

AAMC # 5: 10 VR

AAMC # 6: 7 VR

AAMC # 7: 8 VR

someone say something...

i'm having the same situation as you... my VR mark just dropped to 7!

i almost had a panic attack:eek: but I think that VR is the part that highly depends on your condition... with only 2 days remaining, i hope that i'll have my best condition on the test day!

Good luck to you and have a good rest before the test and you'll be fine:p

wow i went to bed at 11, woke up 12, thought i wrote the mcat and was happy, then i was like..i don't remembre writing BS wtf ahhh and then i was like no wait i didn actually write it.

for VR, I am at:

aamc 3 - 30/40 (10)

aamc 4 - 35/40 (12)

aamc 5 - To be determined

aamc 6 - 33/40 (11)

aamc 8 - 29/40 (9:mad: )

aamc 9 - 29/40 (9 :mad: )

aamc 10 - 28/40 (8 :mad:)

anyone see the downward trend? haha

one thing i did realize tho, its going to be such a crapshoot because between now and the test, what is going to influence my mark the most is how i handle myself in that 1 hour.

Archived