Premed 101 Forums

September MCAT Thread

roycer

Hey, I would know both Kirchoff's rules, they seem pretty helpful and are not that hard! just current into junction = current out and sum of potential increases = potential drops

Entourage eh? NICE! I am quite behind and I can't wait till I'm done and I can catch up on that.

I meant I did the EK 101 passages thing, so I might actually hav emy work cut of for me..but i have to ask:

when people talk about EK, is it the 101 passages or the mini tests? and if they are the mini tests are they the ones in the mathematical and verbal strategy booklet?

how does 101 passages compare to AAMC?

ya im figuring that I will do that, I've went over it but not that much into detail, probably a good idea i will do that tonight! I am late for work :eek: ! I have been setting aside entourage time each week haha. When people talk about EK its more probable they are taking about the 101 passage. The mini tests would be from the EK 16 Mini Mcat book. I would say that the 101 passages may be a bit easier than the AAMC but does anyone else find that in every 101 passage they have atleast one passage devoted to wood joining or american judges haha, good luck. while writing i forgot im late for work :eek:

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well on the way to work i decided to read more in depth about the kirchoff rules from the study guide from my physics textbook along with the examples about it.... at first I thought the sign conventions would be tricky but seems to be just more memory work such as if a seat of emf travels in the direction of the emf (from - to +) the potential increases by E , and the potential decreases when the resitor travels in the direction of the current and so on and so on...

well thats in the bag now

what does everyone think about the carnot engine?

i think I am totally just procrastinating for myself and saying hmmm I don't really want to go into great detail on those subjects....

:rolleyes:

well on the way to work i decided to read more in depth about the kirchoff rules from the study guide from my physics textbook along with the examples about it.... at first I thought the sign conventions would be tricky but seems to be just more memory work such as if a seat of emf travels in the direction of the emf (from - to +) the potential increases by E , and the potential decreases when the resitor travels in the direction of the current and so on and so on...

well thats in the bag now

what does everyone think about the carnot engine?

i think I am totally just procrastinating for myself and saying hmmm I don't really want to go into great detail on those subjects....

:rolleyes:

Carnot's engine; wasn't that the engine that was claimed to be 100% efficient but isn't actually?

thanks, good luck to you too!

i'm almost done EK's mini-mcat VR's and they're really hard...i'm getting around 4-5 out of 7-8 on each psg. sighhh VR is so unpredictable...i'm hoping for a miracle. :o

You're a genius, don't worry. :)

My smarts have finally rubbed off on you, jkjk ahahah

Guest begaster

I'm about done going through the material for a second run-through.

Did a PR test today and got killed (10/8/9). Not sure what just happened, but it's totally shot the confidence that AAMC 9 gave me (10/12/11), and I wrote that over a month ago. Blah. Completely lost track of time on the physics section and panicked in the last ten minutes. As for the VR, which I have gotten 11 in twice in a row, I don't know what happened. Maybe the lack of practice in it for the last three weeks or so hit me. Going to start practicing more passages again.

*sigh*

I love how particular avenir is about maners :P

avenir is the epitome of all that is good in this world and the next :P

You're a genius, don't worry. :)

My smarts have finally rubbed off on you, jkjk ahahah

lmao ya right, i feel that my IQ has increased by a few points ever since we last chatted :D

and i love how good u r at spelling :P

haha its funny cause I was thinking that, or saw it coming..

lolll poor baneo, maybe he needs some therapy from psychopath now

loll..poor psychopath...u've now dragged him into our crazyyyyness :P

Sh*t. Totally was not paying attention to my spelling that time. Rats.

Crazyness... reminds me of how my mom sometimes sings this stupid "i am slowly going crazy" crap by sharon lois and bram. God I hated them.

hey guys: avenir001, Orchid, The Law, and bane

I haven't had the chance to prepare or look at anything of Organic Chemistry. I've been told that there's not a lot of it on the MCAT.

What's your advice regarding orgo? Would I be fine if I didn't touch it?

Much thanks

eng_dude786

I had just taken orgo when I wrote in August, and I was pretty good at it so I didn't really study. The bio section on Aug 9, I personally found to be a bit more challening, but overall I don't think the orgo was that hard, plus there was hardly any of it on the test in the first place. I'd say at most there were 15 questions. It depends on how good you think you are at orgo, how comfortable are you with the basic concepts? If you're pretty good, then you should be fine IMO

last summer i would've told ppl not to worry too much about orgo, but now that there are fewer passages, it's more risky to ignore orgo...i think august 25ths had very little orgo...but i read that another administration before that had 3/7 orgo psgs if i remember correctly...so if orgo is not fresh in ur mind, prolly a good idea to brush up on things

last summer i would've told ppl not to worry too much about orgo, but now that there are fewer passages, it's more risky to ignore orgo...i think august 25ths had very little orgo...but i read that another administration before that had 3/7 orgo psgs if i remember correctly...so if orgo is not fresh in ur mind, prolly a good idea to brush up on things

100% with the av-(wo(if applicable)-man) on this one, i would take a look at orgo because its not worth taking the chance; it could cost you a point or two if ur unlucky.

I know I know, it is the least efficient use of your time since orgo's significance on the mcat: content ratio is lowest of all the subjects. It is still worth looking at

One more thing guys, AAMC PS is giving me a significantly higher score (2 points than Kaplan's full lengths. Given that people are saying PS is harder than AAM (7-9) C, is it a good idea to put aside aamc ps and do Kaplan's? Should i just be content with the PS score or should i push my comfort zones?

advice anyone?

Guest begaster

^

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm absolutely acing the online AAMC practice tests (just got 37 on #8), but the Princeton Review ones still kick my ass. I don't know how worried I should be and really wish I did! :P

^

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm absolutely acing the online AAMC practice tests (just got 37 on #8), but the Princeton Review ones still kick my ass. I don't know how worried I should be and really wish I did! :P

Hey I talked to my friend who's a kap instr. this year and he said to stick with aamc if the other tests are discouraging you. They are good to learn from, but AAMC is supposedly more reflective of your score, especially the old ones. Yes the real thing may be harder, because its harder for everyone, not just you and they end up coming out with similar scores.

Archived