Premed 101 Forums

Queens WS

could someone else call them tomorrow and find out what's going on? of course i could just wait till feb 1st and get my answer, but this is just nuts.

They'd probably just give us version 5.0. I say, just chill and wait. If anything, maybe the version they gave my friend (cutoffs will be posted Thursday or Friday) is correct, in which case it will all be set by the end of this week.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, we can only chill. Besides, calling won't change anything at this point....We're likely going to be 'self-reflecting' after this round of applications end anyway (in May) so finding the reason why now won't help much (that is we get no interview..if we get an interview, I guess we don't really care how we got it lol).

...and here I had foolishly expected the cutoff scene to be quiet, calm, and remarkably like last year. I'm not sure how much more of this I can take. I had already made my peace and now they're dangling an odd version of hope around.

I called in yesterday and inquired about the cut-offs. She asked me what my MCAT marks were (11/11/10/P) and my GPA. Before I could explain to her I was a graduate student, she cut me off and told me I was most likely not getting an interview. So...I assume the rumors about the WS score going up are true.

And yes, she said the cut-offs would be posted up soon.

Well I'm not opposed to the late posting in cutoffs or the possible change in assessment if it means that Queens is going to interview more well rounded candidates.

I've seen a lot of applicants on here who have some really great extracurriculars but who are just under the cutoffs. I much rather see them get through than someone with a 4.0 12/12/12 and nothing else going on.

...but with all of these conflicting reports I'm having difficulty sleeping at night. ;)

I called in yesterday and inquired about the cut-offs. She asked me what my MCAT marks were (11/11/10/P) and my GPA. Before I could explain to her I was a graduate student, she cut me off and told me I was most likely not getting an interview. So...I assume the rumors about the WS score going up are true.

And yes, she said the cut-offs would be posted up soon.

What's your GPA if you don't mind me asking?

Well I'm not opposed to the late posting in cutoffs or the possible change in assessment if it means that Queens is going to interview more well rounded candidates.

I've seen a lot of applicants on here who have some really great extracurriculars but who are just under the cutoffs. I much rather see them get through than someone with a 4.0 12/12/12 and nothing else going on.

...but with all of these conflicting reports I'm having difficulty sleeping at night. ;)

Well I think, at least for this application round, a lot of the people who wouldn't otherwise make the cut would hesitate to apply to Queens, most of whom wouldn't apply at all. However, if speculations are correct that cut offs will not longer be strict or what not, these people might have gotten an interview.

Well I think, at least for this application round, a lot of the people who wouldn't otherwise make the cut would hesitate to apply to Queens, most of whom wouldn't apply at all. However, if speculations are correct that cut offs will not longer be strict or what not, these people might have gotten an interview.

applicants who are slightly under the cutoffs are otherwise competitive elsewhere (UT Mac Ottawa) having different admission philosophies across the nation allows us to diversify the applicant pool and to give a unique identity to every school.

Let all this pass in peace!

Hello all,

I just called the admissions office and the lady there said that they are not indeed posting cutoffs, but that we'll know by Feb 1st whether we get an interview. I personally think that its smart of them to do this considering the tendency of people trying to meet the posted cutoffs from the previous year. Anyway, she will get back to me on whether people will be receiving emails or letters and whether or not the people being rejected will also hear by Feb 1st.

Urgh, great, wait another 2 weeks...hopefully it will be via e-mail and to everyone instead of snail mail and only to those invited, so it doesn't add another 2 weeks' worth of waiting to the timeframe, and so that those who don't get things don't have to sit there and freak out about whether they got rejected or their invite just got lost in the mail.

Actually, I think if they are gonna send it snail mail on Feb. 1, it's REALLY pushing it for early March interviews. Stuff can take up to 2 weeks to get to the other end of the country on occasion!

*sigh*

Thank god I have boxing to let out my neuroses.:rolleyes:

Guest canucker

I called the Admissions Office and from what I was told they are still using the cutoff system of selection but not posting the cutoffs, and we will be informed via letter. I also gave my stats and was informed that I was not receiving an interview. Stats: MCAT 32Q (12P/10V/10B), last 2 years' OMSAS GPA 3.84. This is pure speculation, but I believe that they may have upped the verbal and/or bio subsection cutoffs, in addition to WS. Good luck to the rest of you.

I called the Admissions Office and from what I was told they are still using the cutoff system of selection but not posting the cutoffs, and we will be informed via letter. I also gave my stats and was informed that I was not receiving an interview. Stats: MCAT 32Q (12P/10V/10B), last 2 years' OMSAS GPA 3.84. This is pure speculation, but I believe that they may have upped the verbal and/or bio subsection cutoffs, in addition to WS. Good luck to the rest of you.

Wow, thats not cool - at all.

I find it so odd that they will not post the cut-offs but will tell people if they are/ are not getting an interview if they call.

I would be very surprised if the verbal cut-off is raised above a 10, as that would eliminate a substantial number of applicants if you look at the distribution of MCAT verbal scores.

My guess is that the Bio cut-off or the overall total will increase in addition to the writing sample moving to a Q.

I think they are not posting the cut-offs, as they are substantially higher than last year and with people now knowing their scores when they apply, it would potentially discourage hundreds of people from applying next year, which means decreased admission $ for the school....

They are really teasing us this year – I say post the cut-offs and quit it with the horse sh*t already!

Aw damnit, it's 4:40 p.m. now...can't call GAHHHH...

I think it's dumb they're telilng us over the phone. Isn't that like more work for them? I bet they're gonna be bombarded w/ phone calls over the next few weeks once everyone gets into this "What are my chances thing".

It really better not be verbal. Doesn't seem to be physics based on the stats posted (NO way in hell 13 is the cutoff for PS).

Who wants to do bets? I'm thinking 3.7 GPA overall, 3.76 for the best 2 years, 10 PS, 10VR, and 11 BS, Writing Q and overall 32.

that warrants a WTF? and here i was thinking cutoffs would go down because of the smaller applicant pool :(

Urgh, great, my MCAT is same as yours except for WS is T, and my GPA is below yours...so my only hope now is that WS is up to an R, else I'm not getting an interview, either.:rolleyes:

That's the way it's always been at Queen's and what's still on the website.

it could also be a 33 cumulative for all we know.

im going to call tomorrow, and tell them my mcat first and see if she stops me right there to tell me if i got cut (11 11 R 12) and then I'll give her my gpa, which with a 3.69 isn't going to say much.

it could also be a 33 cumulative for all we know.

im going to call tomorrow, and tell them my mcat first and see if she stops me right there to tell me if i got cut (11 11 R 12) and then I'll give her my gpa, which with a 3.69 isn't going to say much.

I don't think it's 33 total, cuz I know someone who called with a 32R (12P-10-10) and was told they were fine. This makes me think it's a total of 32 (or maybe less) and R for WS. That's the picture I get based on all the info strewn throughout this thread and on what my friend who called told me.

32R would be great for me, but I'm at 3.76 2-year (my cumulative is like 3.52 or smth, so I'm definitely going for the 2-year cut-off), so I'm more concerned about the GPA, anyway.

Urgh, I don't want to have to panic about this till Feb. 1.:rolleyes: Maybe calling is better, indeed, since they seem to have no problem telling things to people over the phone.:confused:

Archived