Premed 101 Forums

Queens WS

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very sad here as well.. I can't figure out why they would make the WS so high, as 'R' is roughly 85-88 percentile usually (!) Seems like a terrible way to weed out 85% of your applicants given its' subjectivity. I am 12/13/14Q (VR/BS/PS) cgpa 3.93 so looks like I am out of luck.. I just hope the non-SWOMEN Western WS doesn't go up to R too!

jmlconkl - did you call the office?

Everyone who has posted scores with a WS above Q has also had a BS above 10, so I am not totally convinced that the WS is R....Or perhaps it is just wishful thinking as I have a Q.

The WS was an O two years ago and a P last year - why would they now make this section so important and decrease the VR cut-off???

C-Swirsk: I didn't call (or at least didn't get an answer), but if the quote below is correct then the BS cut-off is at most 10. This would mean (according to other posters here who are rejected with 32Q and all sections >= 10) that WS must be an R.

I don't think it's 33 total, cuz I know someone who called with a 32R (12P-10-10) and was told they were fine. This makes me think it's a total of 32 (or maybe less) and R for WS. That's the picture I get based on all the info strewn throughout this thread and on what my friend who called told me.

Just recieved this email, haha looks like whoever was suggesting earlier that they'd eventually get fed up with the calls was right :P

The Queen's School of Medicine is currently reviewing your application.

Due to small changes within the process of the administration of our

applications, we will not be releasing our academic requirements at this

time. You will be emailed (and sent a follow up letter by regular mail)

with the status of this application by January 30.

Please note: Due to the high volume of calls, we will be unable to provide

you with the status of your application prior to this time.

Thank you.

Jennifer Saunders

Admissions Officer

Just recieved this email, haha looks like whoever was suggesting earlier that they'd eventually get fed up with the calls was right :P

The Queen's School of Medicine is currently reviewing your application.

Due to small changes within the process of the administration of our

applications, we will not be releasing our academic requirements at this

time. You will be emailed (and sent a follow up letter by regular mail)

with the status of this application by January 30.

Please note: Due to the high volume of calls, we will be unable to provide

you with the status of your application prior to this time.

Thank you.

Jennifer Saunders

Admissions Officer

ARGH! LOL.:rolleyes:

I admire your optimism...

How do you know, maybe I typed that as I was cutting my veins in the bathtub...:cool:

Well, the other schools I applied to don't notify until February, so I guess I've conditioned myself that I have to wait till then, anyway. Although I definitely envy all the UBC/Manitoba applicants who have already heard back!

I dont see how they can confidently attribute so much weight to what I believe is to be the least best success indicator of all the mcat sections.

It's not just you. The AAMC has reported that there is a weak correlation, at best, between the WS score and medical school performance. Incidentally, there's no difference in student performance between those who score a Q or R. It looks like Queen's is using this purely as a method of reducing the applicant pool, and not increasing the quality of candidates invited for interviews. It's too bad some excellent applicants are getting shafted by this cutoff.

Eastcoastgal,

I thought that grad students only had to meet the MCAT cut off and then they would take a second look at your file if you don't meet the GPA... anyone else know if this is true? (Sorry, a little off topic...)

I thought the same thing?

I hope so because my partner is a current grad student, and based on what people have been saying, meets the MCAT cutoff (but doesn't quite meet the GPA cutoff). I'll be so disappointed for him if the process changed for grad students this year.

Any insight?

From everything that has been posted, does anyone have an opinion on whether the biology cutoff would be going up from 10 to 11 in addition to the WS of R?

GLaswal I do not think it is going up to 11 from someone who wrote:

I don't think it's 33 total, cuz I know someone who called with a 32R (12P-10-10) and was told they were fine. This makes me think it's a total of 32 (or maybe less) and R for WS. That's the picture I get based on all the info strewn throughout this thread and on what my friend who called told me.

Good luck all

I thought the same thing?

I hope so because my partner is a current grad student, and based on what people have been saying, meets the MCAT cutoff (but doesn't quite meet the GPA cutoff). I'll be so disappointed for him if the process changed for grad students this year.

Any insight?

I'm pretty sure they will still be evaluating grad students in the same fashion. There hasn't been any concrete reason to think otherwise!

Archived