Premed 101 Forums

Queens WS

god, i wasted so much time trying to call them. ive taken the mcat 3 times. on my first 2 i got S on the WS, but i finally thought i nailed all the requirements on my last mcat with 10 11 11...but a Q! i hate you queen's; you are killing me.

and to think how much time we all spent agnoizing over the 5 questions (which are probably a much better judge of our writing skills!) and then have them not even looked at :( otoh, until the emails go out, there could still be some miracle change in their decision or something... who knows...

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the same thing?

I hope so because my partner is a current grad student, and based on what people have been saying, meets the MCAT cutoff (but doesn't quite meet the GPA cutoff). I'll be so disappointed for him if the process changed for grad students this year.

Any insight?

So there seems to be some confusion regarding my previous post. I was told by Jennifer that I did NOT meet the MCAT cut off (I have 10BS/11PS/10VR/Q, my GPA was well above the cut) this round. She said that I would have to make the cut to proceed any further. I believe the WS is now R, that's really all I know for sure. So, if your partner has an R is the WS and a 10 in the others then he has a good chance for an interview.

Well, this may just be denial at this point, but while the current thinking may be that the writing score cutoff has been raised to an R (~87th percentile), I'm not entirely convinced. As far as I can tell, they have never before taken this long and been this secretive with respect to the simply increasing or adjusting cutoffs. Furthermore, the wording of the email we all recieved makes it sound as though either they have introduced some subjectivity into the process (perhaps for the candidates who are close to the cutoffs?) or that they have yet to finalize the cutoffs.

Of course, this may just be wishful thinking, since I have a Q WS score.

On another note, I went into the admissions office just after lunch, and another individual and I were both turned away without any info given.

Very sad here as well.. I can't figure out why they would make the WS so high, as 'R' is roughly 85-88 percentile usually (!) Seems like a terrible way to weed out 85% of your applicants given its' subjectivity. I am 12/13/14Q (VR/BS/PS) cgpa 3.93 so looks like I am out of luck.. I just hope the non-SWOMEN Western WS doesn't go up to R too!

I checked out the 2007 table on the AAMC website just out of curiosity...(http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/combined07.pdf)

Having a 32 cutoff, like they did the year before, weeds out 84.1% applicants.

Having an 11 in PS cutoff weeds out 80.4% applicants. 11 in VR weeds out 85.4% (wow). R in WS weeds out 83.3%. 11 in BS weeds out 75.9%.

Well, this may just be denial at this point, but while the current thinking may be that the writing score cutoff has been raised to an R (~87th percentile), I'm not entirely convinced. As far as I can tell, they have never before taken this long and been this secretive with respect to the simply increasing or adjusting cutoffs. Furthermore, the wording of the email we all recieved makes it sound as though either they have introduced some subjectivity into the process (perhaps for the candidates who are close to the cutoffs?) or that they have yet to finalize the cutoffs.

Of course, this may just be wishful thinking, since I have a Q WS score.

On another note, I went into the admissions office just after lunch, and another individual and I were both turned away without any info given.

LOL, you ventured into the dragon's lair itself!:P

Well, here's the one thing I can think of - if they are indeed trying to get more non-trads and are concerned about the GPAs rising further, maybe they've dropped the GPA a bit and increased the MCAT cutoffs (since it's a lot simpler and faster to raise your MCAT score than your GPA)? That'd be in line with the concerns they voiced before. I know *I* would sure like that, but this is just one speculation.

When I submitted my app, I had a 3.6725 overall GPA, and an 11VR/11BS/10PS Q (32Q) MCAT. I took one course last semester (I'm done my degree), and got an A+ so now I'm at 3.68049, but they won't count that course in the cutoff :(, so I hope the GPA drops.

Either way, JUST getting an interview isn't that fun anyway. I JUST got an interview at UWO last year (I had one year at 3.70, and my 32Q), and look where I am now. However, last year I got a 3.77 so hopefully I still get a UWO interview...

I find it hard to believe that they would raise the cutoff of the most subjectively scored section of the mcat by 2 points. What do you guys think of the possibility that they might be using some kind of algorithm now? Like giving different weights for each section and providing a cutoff in that manner, similar to Calgary's technique....but then again I don't know how this mystery women would be able to make the mental calculation over the phone to all you of...soo ya I have no idea. If I had known my 35Q wasn't going to cut it, I would not have wasted so much time...

When I submitted my app, I had a 3.6725 overall GPA, and an 11VR/11BS/10PS Q (32Q) MCAT. I took one course last semester (I'm done my degree), and got an A+ so now I'm at 3.68049, but they won't count that course in the cutoff :(, so I hope the GPA drops.

What's your 2-year? I'm way below the cumulative cutoff, so I don't even think about that one, lol.

Either way, JUST getting an interview isn't that fun anyway. I JUST got an interview at UWO last year (I had one year at 3.70, and my 32Q), and look where I am now. However, last year I got a 3.77 so hopefully I still get a UWO interview...

Good luck! I also have 1 year at 3.7+ (well, eligible for UWO...I have 2 years at 3.7+ but one of them is "only" 26 credits :rolleyes: ), so I'm doing my special year now. I've managed to pull a 4.0 last semester, so I'm hoping that should I not get in this year, I will be good to go for Queen's 2-year GPA next time, for sure.

I checked out the 2007 table on the AAMC website just out of curiosity...(http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/combined07.pdf)

Having a 32 cutoff, like they did the year before, weeds out 84.1% applicants.

Having an 11 in PS cutoff weeds out 80.4% applicants. 11 in VR weeds out 85.4% (wow). R in WS weeds out 83.3%. 11 in BS weeds out 75.9%.

Remember that those stats are for people who wrote the MCAT, not applicants to Queen's. I'd guess people applying are much stronger candidates than a random selection of people who wrote the MCAT, so those cutoffs won't weed out as many people as given by the percentiles...

My last two years is only 3.72, Jochi. I wonder how long you can wait to do a "special" full course load year... could I do it next year and count? This year I focussed on working/volunteering and taking one course/semester. Maybe I could bite the bullet and do a whole full year next year, but then that would only work for me in the 2009/2010 app cycle :cool:...

My last two years is only 3.72, Jochi. I wonder how long you can wait to do a "special" full course load year... could I do it next year and count? This year I focussed on working/volunteering and taking one course/semester. Maybe I could bite the bullet and do a whole full year next year, but then that would only work for me in the 2009/2010 app cycle :cool:...

I think you can do it then....I believe the only issue is that you can't have done more than 1 of these post-degree years. If you don't nail it the first time, your only other option is to basically do a whole other degree, if I remember correctly (do double-check this for yourself, though).

EDIT: this is for UWO, btw, I'm not sure about Queen's. I think Queen's doesn't care as long as its your last 2 years of 6+ courses.

LOL, you ventured into the dragon's lair itself!:P

Well, here's the one thing I can think of - if they are indeed trying to get more non-trads and are concerned about the GPAs rising further, maybe they've dropped the GPA a bit and increased the MCAT cutoffs (since it's a lot simpler and faster to raise your MCAT score than your GPA)? That'd be in line with the concerns they voiced before. I know *I* would sure like that, but this is just one speculation.

Yeah, its possible that this is the case, I suppose. I think a more direct way of increasing the number of interviews for non-trads would have been to make the cutoffs a little more flexible for this segment of the applicant pool while maybe adding ~20 interview spots... I personally think that suddenly raising one of the most subjective sections of the MCAT this high would act as another significant obstacle for non-trads. Non trads may have time to write the MCAT once, but they probably aren't as likely to score highly on the exam as trad applicants (due to limited prep time as a result of other commitments)- plus, they probably don't have nearly enough time on their hands as is required to rewrite the MCAT in the event that they don't meet some obscure cutoff... In fact, being refused in such a manner may well result in discouragment and a hesitancy in applying again.

I was in a somewhat similar position to you with respect to Western, only a year earlier. I had one year at 3.77 and a 31Q, and was given an interview - here I am as well, two years later and having pursued a M.Sc. (for which Western doesn't give any credit). The major difference here is that Western still uses your MCAT and GPA in the post-interview calculation for offers of admission. Queen's does not - thus, you and I would both have significantly improved post-interview chances at Queen's compared to Western.

and to think how much time we all spent agnoizing over the 5 questions (which are probably a much better judge of our writing skills!) and then have them not even looked at :( otoh, until the emails go out, there could still be some miracle change in their decision or something... who knows...

yeah, there's always hoping. i sent them a letter from the aamc that informs the schools that i was disadvantaged with a faulty computer. so maybe that'll help.

________

Michigan medical marijuana

I think we should all just chill and wait for Jan 30...

I think that it is really unprofessional of Queen's to not post cut-offs but tell people over the phone if they are getting an interview.

Part of being a could physician is about evaluating evidence....the admissions officer flip flopped all week about whether they would post cut-offs, so who knows how certain she is when she is telling people about interviews. As well, please correct me if I am wrong but no one has called in and posted that they have gotten an interview with a 10 in BS - two people have posted that they heard of someone who called, and sorry to be a skeptic, but that is not quality evidence to infact conclude the WS cut-off is an R

I just can't get my head around a cut-off of an 'R' for the writing sample - it's insane (because I have a Q)...:)

Archived