Premed 101 Forums

Queens WS

I asked if there was any inflation with the MCAT CBT WS - She said simply replied by saying "I'm going to guess you have a P"

She mentioned that it is *possible* we find out this friday or saturday

how could it be this friday/sat if the email she sent out (which i never received) said it would be on the 31st? (not that i mind finding out earlier). also, what does she mean about the P?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how could it be this friday/sat if the email she sent out (which i never received) said it would be on the 31st? (not that i mind finding out earlier). also, what does she mean about the P?

Hey I have no idea

I was shocked about us finding out this friday, but she said "..and I say this..it may be possible that emails are sent out by the end of the week"

I don't know what she said about the P, my interpretation is that I was worried about the WS cutoff because I had a P which is on the border...but thats just my interpretation..she never alluded to anything..just said what I had mentioned earlier

Me too! Thanks a lot for letting us know what she told you. I still hold out hope that they didn't increase the WS all the way to R, but I guess we'll see.

Haha anytime..we're all in this together!

I love how the question of most significance was dodged like that haha..and she was packing up her booth too and I didn't want to keep her.

I can't wait for the end of the month, UWO and Queen's is settled..and then we move on to UT

Haha anytime..we're all in this together!

I love how the question of most significance was dodged like that haha..and she was packing up her booth too and I didn't want to keep her.

I can't wait for the end of the month, UWO and Queen's is settled..and then we move on to UT

Haha - I'm sure after years of being inundated with questions from anxious pre-meds, that she's gotten quite proficient at question dodging and double speak :P .

It's interesting that she said no inflation on the MCAT scores. But do you think that conclusion was reached only after looking at all sets of MCAT scores for the applicants. I mean to say that Queens does not look at just the most recent score, as Western does. So maybe for Queens any effect of inflation was made even by looking at the other scores as well.

It's interesting that she said no inflation on the MCAT scores. But do you think that conclusion was reached only after looking at all sets of MCAT scores for the applicants. I mean to say that Queens does not look at just the most recent score, as Western does. So maybe for Queens any effect of inflation was made even by looking at the other scores as well.

No, I think it's a matter of this cycle's scores being compared to the scores from previous cycles.

Ok i'm pretty naive about this.... but why the suspected MCAT score inflation with the new CBT format? Is there an actual significant increase in overall scoring? Why?

I thought that not being able to write in the margins and/or reading off a screen was a disadvantage. That said, typing and copy/paste function must have made the WS a lot easier than in previous years.

Can anyone shed light on this for me....?

Ok i'm pretty naive about this.... but why the suspected MCAT score inflation with the new CBT format? Is there an actual significant increase in overall scoring? Why?

I thought that not being able to write in the margins and/or reading off a screen was a disadvantage. That said, typing and copy/paste function must have made the WS a lot easier than in previous years.

Well I got screwed on WS because I cannot type as fast as all the clicking noises around me and did not finish my essays.:mad:

I think it arises from the number of times that applicants are allowed to rewrite the test a year. Before when there were only 2 sittings, if you did poorly you would have to wait until the following year (unless you were one of the crazy few who decided to write in April). Nowadays, it's possible to write in January, wait for your results, and if you don't like them, write again in February or March. Since result reporting is much quicker, you can easily fit 4-5 sittings into one calendar year until you achieve a score that is satisfactory. I for one wrote in June and registered for an August sitting before getting my scores back. If I did not score above 10 in all sections, I would have wrote in August (thankfully I didn't have to). I know people who wrote multiple times last year, and even during my testing session there were two people I met who said they had written earlier in the year.

The inflation most people were referring to do has nothing to do with the distribution of scores in a given test sitting. On any given day, AAMC ensures that the distribution of scores is roughly the same as all other sittings that have ever taken place. Whether you wrote the test in March 2007 or April 1999, scoring in the top 20th percentile in a given section has still related to the same raw score. But now, if people are unhappy with their score, they have more opportunities to increase their standing. This would result in a greater proportion of the applicant pool possessing scores to their liking (which for many people is 10+ in each section). Hence, SCORE INFLATION!

ahhhh.... thanks Rocky. That makes sense.

How are people able to find that many free seats to book multiple tests? I barely found a date where I squeezed in at the last minute... it was also 4 hours away. I luckily wasn't one of many who ended up writing the MCAT south of the border :eek:

I think that people should be limited to writing the CBT once a year, given the seat limitations. I was on my computer at 8:50 AM the morning that registration opened for my area (Quebec), refreshing my page obsessively over and over again, and by 9:05 AM (or something ridiculous like that) all of the seats were taken. I was forced to write the MCAT in North Carolina!!!! How is it fair that I had to go to another country to write the test while others were signing up for a second/third/fourth time for that year? I know that many people signed up for early testing sessions just to gauge how they would score, and subsequently signed up for the late summer tests. It is completely ridiculous that this is allowed given that there are so many fewer seats than there used to be!

Sorry, I just needed to vent ;)

rocky is right, i signed up for a test in july and i was later able to get a seat in august...i didn't need to write it again because i liked my scores... all the seats come open when the scores come out from the previous test, that's the key to getting multiple seats

Archived