Premed 101 Forums

puck this wait!

Ok, I'm quite frustrated. I e-mailed to ask about my agpa, mcat and PAS ranking. I received a reply in which they provided my agpa and mcat, but they said, "We will not be providing any info regarding the PAS ranking." I thought that in the past applicants were able to find out this information whether or not they had been accepted or rejected. What's going on ????? Without knowing my PAS, I'm as much in the dark as I was before. Was anybody able to find out their PAS ranking?

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's odd... I got an email telling me to email someone else to set up an appointment with them for feedback about my application. Which really doesn't help me either since I live in Brandon and don't wanna drive two hours just for a short appointment like that (Guess it could be worth it in the end though).

The appointment will be a phone one. At least in previous years, it was. It will last a few minutes. This was with Beth of course. Heather might do things differently.

As for e-mailing, I'm sure if you pushed for it, it could be done. However, take this opportunity to verify all AGPA/MCAT scores along with your PAS scores in one shot with someone who has your file in front of them. They may be able to give you a better idea of how far or close you were from getting accepted.

The appointment will be a phone one. At least in previous years, it was. It will last a few minutes. This was with Beth of course. Heather might do things differently.

As for e-mailing, I'm sure if you pushed for it, it could be done. However, take this opportunity to verify all AGPA/MCAT scores along with your PAS scores in one shot with someone who has your file in front of them. They may be able to give you a better idea of how far or close you were from getting accepted.

when she got back to me, she gave me the option of meeting with her in person or over the phone.

yeah, I was told to set up an appointment with some Heather Christensen to discuss my application. Altho, I don't see what is so difficult about them e-mailing our PAS quintile rankings....

tsuki: I also received that e-mail about setting up an appointment with Heather, but when I e-mailed the first time, I also sent a second e-mail to Heather. Heather replied with my agpa and MCAT and said that they weren't giving out info about PAS. Please let me know if anybody is able to find out their PAS ranking.

Freedom: From what you wrote, it sounds like in the past years they gave out PAS scores? Even for applicants who were declined?

This could just be a rumor, but I heard that this year they aren't giving out PAS quintile rankings and that having included them in the first 2 batches of emails was a mistake. Last year I got my PAS quintile, AGPA and MCAT via email upon request so I really hope all of this talk is untrue.

This could just be a rumor, but I heard that this year they aren't giving out PAS quintile rankings and that having included them in the first 2 batches of emails was a mistake. Last year I got my PAS quintile, AGPA and MCAT via email upon request so I really hope all of this talk is untrue.

I certainly hope that's not the case, because that's the only wild card for me. I am very much in control of the other aspects of my ranking.

I certainly hope that's not the case, because that's the only wild card for me. I am very much in control of the other aspects of my ranking.

I got an email back saying that mcat and agpa scores will be provided but pas rankings will not. Kinda sucks!

BTW, does anyone know how the waitlist is moving?

Just think of it this way...

If found out you got a high PAS, would you stop working hard on it? If you got a high PAS, it may give you a false sense of security that you can repeat it again next year. It is probably better you don't know how well you did, but just assume if you did not get an offer that it wasn't good enough and improve on it as much as you can. This is similar to getting on the wait list. I know of people that were wait listed last year, but rejected this year. Gotta keep on fighting and give your best on all areas applicable to admission.

Seriously? C'mon now...

Hey, I think we are entitled at the least to know the PAS score. We pay the application fee, we go through the process, we wait. To not know really gives you no idea about what kind of a round you had. A low score obviously will indicate a low interview + low supplementary indicating both need work. But a medium will tell you one or the either. With what they say, a lot of focus is placed on the interview so knowing the PAS will give you a good indication of your score.

As well, many people are obviously frustrated with the admissions office, and to have this happen now, its just not helping.

Freedom why don't you think of it this way...PAS is the only thing on the application out of your hands. If you scored high and didn't get in, you wouldn't stop working on it, you would obviously know what you need to work on.

Hey, I think we are entitled at the least to know the PAS score. We pay the application fee, we go through the process, we wait. To not know really gives you no idea about what kind of a round you had. A low score obviously will indicate a low interview + low supplementary indicating both need work. But a medium will tell you one or the either. With what they say, a lot of focus is placed on the interview so knowing the PAS will give you a good indication of your score.

As well, many people are obviously frustrated with the admissions office, and to have this happen now, its just not helping.

Freedom why don't you think of it this way...PAS is the only thing on the application out of your hands. If you scored high and didn't get in, you wouldn't stop working on it, you would obviously know what you need to work on.

I'm a bit confused, if you scored high on the PAS, what would you be working on? I'm sure it's obvious like you said, but I just don't see it.

How did knowing your scores from last year help on this application? Would you have done things differently if it was a 1st quintile? I think that info will help other applicants too.

I'm all about knowing as much information as you can. Keep fighting, maybe they will budge and give you a number. My personal rule of thumb based on MCAT scores and assuming a 4.0 AGPA and non-rural is if you have 11.5+ you can get in with a 5th quintile, 11-11.5 with a 4th-3rd, 11-10.5 with a 2nd quintile, 10-10.5 you need a 1st, under 10 you need rural, great GPA, and a small miracle :D Of course, these are just my guesses with no facts backing it up. "Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that."

Archived