Premed 101 Forums

puck this wait!

I explained my situation and why I don't live in MB at the moment so Beth agreed to send me an email today (the 5th) about my status.

I didn't get in.

IP

Physics: 12

Verbal: 9

Bio: 12

W: O

I'm an EMT basic, have hospital volunteer time in ER and Obs, various school committees...lets just say my volunteer work took up all the space on that fuking application. Why denied? who knows.

gl everyone else.

How come you had to e-mail her today to ask for one? I thought the e-mails were sent to everyone who didnt get one yet last night?

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How come you had to e-mail her today to ask for one? I thought the e-mails were sent to everyone who didnt get one yet last night?

I emailed her a long time ago. And I just saw the other thread where others are getting emails too because of the postage delays...I thought I was the special one to get an email. Im at the library..and to get bad news in public is real ****.

I explained my situation and why I don't live in MB at the moment so Beth agreed to send me an email today (the 5th) about my status.

I didn't get in.

IP

Physics: 12

Verbal: 9

Bio: 12

W: O

I'm an EMT basic, have hospital volunteer time in ER and Obs, various school committees...lets just say my volunteer work took up all the space on that fuking application. Why denied? who knows.

gl everyone else.

Wow, 33O and not even waitlisted. I would seriously try to inquire why you were not accepted. Let's hope your feedback has some answers.

I had 31R and was not waitlisted. Same thing last year. This year at least I jumped from 4th to 3rd quartile...

I am on the cusp of entry this year with a 31R. My aGPA isn't that stellar either likely being in the bottom 25% of those applying, but I'm within a few waitlisters away from getting in. The most probable problem with your application is the PAS. Part of it depends on your EC's and work experience, which hopefully is large and has meaning (ie. you volunteered for an extended period). Having some research background wouldn't hurt, so if you are still in school, do a senior year project if you are able to.

To go by what Arrandil put into the Accepted thread (and what I submitted to U of M this year), my EC's:

Employment

-TA'd 1st Year Chem Lab (3 terms)

-TA'd Human Anatomy Lab (1 term)

-Worked for Environmental Testing company (no longer there though)

-Summer position with the local Parks department (4 years)

Research

-Senior Year research project in Organic Synthesis

Volunteer

-Local ER (2 months in 04, Sept'07-current)

-Grocery Shopper for Senior through an organization (Dec'07-current. I put this down even though I hadn't started)

-Santropol Roulant (Meals on Wheels in Montreal, 1 term)

-Played drums for a church in my hometown years ago almost biweekly (mostly in high school and the 1 and only summer I went home)

-local Habitat for Humanity builder (not part of a group but on my own time. Another one I put on the application but hadn't quite started yet.)

-Youth rep for my MLA (when still in high school)

Other EC's

-Intramurals

-Canadian University Science Games

-Student run choir singer (1 term)

That's basically what I put. A lot of different areas I guess, perhaps the well roundedness that they are seeking. I used the same references as last year and they were from my feedback seen as 'excellent' and likely were the same this year.

If this doesn't help, then consider improving your interview skills. Basically if you wanna walk the walk, talk the talk. For some people like me it is natural to sell yourself when on the spot. Before my interview this year and last year, I had job interviews right close to the med interviews. This really helps you to see what interviewers are looking for in many ways including confidence, thought of answer, and professionalism. If you got an R on your essays (you see many sides to the argument), you should be able to get through the interview with a high score if you display confidence and professionalism. Sometimes in interviews you have to indicate to them that you see both sides of the argument too.

Here's a good idea for you. If you are heart set on attending U of M, look at improving your PAS. As somebody in another thread has mentioned, likely the admissions criteria will change again for the next cycle with less emphasis on the MCAT. 31R is quite competitive for this school. When interview time rolls around, apply to places like McDonald's or something for the fun of it. Although my job interviews were for degree related companies, just having an interview with a place like that will help improve your skills (and boost your confidence if they actually offer you a position!). If your school has career services, schedule a mock interview. If you are alum, the service is likely still there but limited. Good luck with whichever route you take to getting in!

oddly enough i thought i rocked my mmi. had all my ethics issues downpat...mentioned the points that needed to be said with each question...was analytical as always but i dont think i went too deep into mentioning multiple sides of a problem but I did catch on when one interviewer hinted at that on a station...hell, many of the interviewers even shook their heads in agreement with some answers...so who knows wtf went wrong. as it is always the case for me, when i think i do well on something i totally bomb it in the end. and the feedback is going to take something like 1-2 weeks as beths auto reply states.

oddly enough i thought i rocked my mmi. had all my ethics issues downpat...mentioned the points that needed to be said with each question...was analytical as always but i dont think i went too deep into mentioning multiple sides of a problem but I did catch on when one interviewer hinted at that on a station...hell, many of the interviewers even shook their heads in agreement with some answers...so who knows wtf went wrong. as it is always the case for me, when i think i do well on something i totally bomb it in the end. and the feedback is going to take something like 1-2 weeks as beths auto reply states.

I think you're missing the bigger picture here. I'm sure you did as well as you think you did. However, there are others that may have expressed their views "better" than you. They were able to sell their personal characteristics or experiences more. Nothing went wrong, but there are still areas to improve.

BTW, the head nodding thing, they are asked to do that to encourage you.

I think you're missing the bigger picture here. I'm sure you did as well as you think you did. However, there are others that may have expressed their views "better" than you. They were able to sell their personal characteristics or experiences more. Nothing went wrong, but there are still areas to improve.

i guess so. still pretty discouraging...i don't take failure well. career change anyone? haha

come to think of it...ur probably right. after watching that mmi webcast when dr. dansinger (or jansinger...the old guy) said the mmi was the more standardized format and that you would be getting points for mentioning specific things i immediately made it less personal...didnt incorporate any personal experiences or show any character with my answers. i was focused on saying specifics. note to all reading this...this is what you SHOULDN'T do.

Out of curiosity, how is everyone finding out what quartile they're ranked in? I only received a non-descript first round waitlist letter and haven't gotten any e-mails or letters since then. Do you e-mail Beth specifically asking for information on your waitlist status?

Also, sorry if this has been asked before but what's the difference between a first round waitlist and second round waitlist? Is one better than the other?

Oh, and I'm also OOP in case that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, how is everyone finding out what quartile they're ranked in? I only received a non-descript first round waitlist letter and haven't gotten any e-mails or letters since then. Do you e-mail Beth specifically asking for information on your waitlist status?

Also, sorry if this has been asked before but what's the difference between a first round waitlist and second round waitlist? Is one better than the other?

Oh, and I'm also OOP in case that makes a difference.

Thanks!

IP students get a ranking in quartiles, OOP don't, unfortunately.

Dude, I feel the exact same way... thought I destroyed the mmi, probably thought 8 of the stations couldn't have been better and the rest were still good... Alas! I was rejected, and not even waitlisted at that, I couldn't beleive it! Ah well, I don't know what these people want, seriously it boggles my mind. They are missing out ;). btw I am oop... not a big fan of winnipeg's climate so at least I won't have to wear long-johns to school every day! yippie! :cool:

Dude, I feel the exact same way... thought I destroyed the mmi, probably thought 8 of the stations couldn't have been better and the rest were still good... Alas! I was rejected, and not even waitlisted at that, I couldn't beleive it! Ah well, I don't know what these people want, seriously it boggles my mind. They are missing out ;). btw I am oop... not a big fan of winnipeg's climate so at least I won't have to wear long-johns to school every day! yippie! :cool:

Yup...you and me are on the same page. This was my first time applying to med and I only applied to 1 school, U of M. This year I'll apply to US schools since I have permanent residency status in usa too...and I'm picking the schools by climate...LA anyone?

Well, I'm giving Puck this Wait new life again. Its been over one week since the waitlist established. Still no call...still waiting....AGH! At least with the May 15 and June 4 dates there is a time when your waiting likely ends! Hopefully they start the waitlist calls soon, if they haven't already.

On the other hand, I have been pre-approved already for RBC's $150k credit line, just need to get the call and the proof!

Happy Friday the 13th everyone! I just called Beth about the IP waitlist. She said that she is waiting yet for 30 responses which next week she will be starting to hunt down. Guess some people are slow to get in their papers. Likely that means now though that the waitlist won't move until after next week when the deadline hits for the 2nd rounders.

Maybe wait until next week.

This Friday is the deadline for the acceptance/decline forms. So after they organize those and possibly track down people who never gave them forms in yet, then the ball will get rolling. I'm sure there will be some movement next week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived