Premed 101 Forums

puck this wait!

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I didn't get a letter today. I live just outside Winnipeg. Maybe it will come tomorrow. I wouldn't have expected it to come on Friday, but there is a good chance it should have been here today.

Anyways, could someone clairify? The Orientation handout says that they mail out 2/3 of the decision letters on the 15th. Does that mean they mail it out good or bad or is that just 2/3 of the acceptance letters? The other handouts simply say "initial offers of admission" are send out on the 15th.

A lady at the interview told me that they only reason they mail them out in June is because they were missing a transcript. If I don't get one tomorrow how worried should I be?

So, I didn't get a letter today. I live just outside Winnipeg. Maybe it will come tomorrow. I wouldn't have expected it to come on Friday, but there is a good chance it should have been here today.

Anyways, could someone clairify? The Orientation handout says that they mail out 2/3 of the decision letters on the 15th. Does that mean they mail it out good or bad or is that just 2/3 of the acceptance letters? The other handouts simply say "initial offers of admission" are send out on the 15th.

A lady at the interview told me that they only reason they mail them out in June is because they were missing a transcript. If I don't get one tomorrow how worried should I be?

2/3 of the accepted letters are sent, for IP at least, on May 15

The 1/3 accepted, and all the waitlist and rejections are second round.. received early june-ish. They are holding off on all the acceptances because the missing transcripts(10% AGPA) could change the ranking (of the bottom 1/3).

If you dont get a letter tomorrow or whatever this week, it's gonna mean a wait till late May-early June. There's probably a few hundred or so waiting along with you :P This is what happened before, who knows, things could change.

There were some questions asked about emails being sent to OOP or IP and whatnot....I was told by whoever picked up the phone at the admin office that everything is done hard copy...no emails at all for anyone. The only option is to email Beth and she will tell you if something is in the mail for you. And it looks like I'm waiting till June for this damn letter:mad: , who's with me?

There were some questions asked about emails being sent to OOP or IP and whatnot....I was told by whoever picked up the phone at the admin office that everything is done hard copy...no emails at all for anyone. The only option is to email Beth and she will tell you if something is in the mail for you. And it looks like I'm waiting till June for this damn letter:mad: , who's with me?

Called Beth. Waiting for the June 4th mailing now. :(

Still waiting - and I don't think there's a letter waiting for me at home. My stats stink too much. Must recalculate APGA to comfort myself in my waiting misery.

Can't you call home or something? Or email your parents and get them to tell you? GO ARANNDIL!! Don't count yourself out yet girl!

My parents are here with me. I don't want my evil relatives knowing before I do. They make enough fun of me for my rejection as it is.

You know, if I work for a few years as a teacher making 50K+ a year, I can almost get out of my med school debt free if I save EVERYTHING and live at home like a tool until I'm like 35.

Thanks for the encouragement! *HUGS* ... my MCAT and my GPA are lower that I'd like them to be (10 and 4.1) ... one day I'll rewrite the MCAT I guess... and one day I'll get into meds... maybe... when I'm 80.

Hey, if you're young - that's a great idea actually. Saving everything is ok - what I would do is live at home and INVEST some of your teachers income. I'd say work for maybe 2 years, you'd get some great experience from that and then reapply - and...PLEASE, I met too many Manitobans who only applied to UM which blew my mind since most people from ON apply to most ON schools, another good chunk apply to ALL Canadian schools, and then there's those who apply to ALL Canadian and US schools too. Apply to other schools!! You can easily get back to UM for residency.

I know that your experiences as a teacher won't matter much, if UM's scoring scheme (gpa, mcat, mmi) remains the same - but for other schools, being a non-trad teacher would be a great thing.

I only applied for Manitoba because I only QUALIFY to apply for manitoba. My GPA and MCAT scores are not sufficient for me to apply elsewhere. Please don't let this "blow your mind"... not everyone has a spotless academic record. Mine includes a really crappy first and second year I have been trying to compensate for ever since. I have been rejected pre-interview from other universities. I want to rewrite my MCAT, but I am not having success learning the material on my own (written it twice) and I would like to take a class for it, but the closest class is 2.5 hours away and I do need a summer job to support my expensive habit - school. It would be wonderful for me to apply for many schools and be able to afford the standard of living in the host cities for an opportunity to travel and see more of Canada AND complete my med degree.

Education has greatly improved my ability to communicate with people in a western setting. Growing up as the eldest daughter in a traditional eastern culture does not promote conversation and I have had a very hard time trying to learn how to communicate well. My student teaching opportunities have been excellent for developing this, as well as broadening my perspectives by committing time in rural communities within my province. I would like to say that they matter quite a bit - to me, at least.

Your last paragraph sounds like something you would find in an admissions essay to a med school lol...but I know how you feel. And I share your anger, winnipegguy...I don't know why these pencil pushing committees don't understand how emotionally taxing such a long wait can be on someone. I mean, good god, wtf are they doing in those offices sitting behind a computer, work or youtube? u of m should take note from american med schools, ppl here know about their acceptance/rejection by the end of april right before their finals.

• 2 weeks later...
Remember to take long, deep calm breaths before you open the mail box... if it's a thick brown envelope, congratulations. If it's a thin white envelope, I'd probably start crying and hoping for waitlist.

:P

Must put away my MacBook.

On the green schedule they sent out, they say that final decisions are beginning on May 31st. Has anyone heard when we'll be getting letters?

I believe the second round letters are mailed out June 4th, which is this Wednesday. Thus, people should be getting their letters on Friday or early next week.

Also, acceptance envelopes are not only brown and thick, but also large (able to fit 8'' x 11'' papers inside without folding).

Good luck to everyone!

Remember to take long, deep calm breaths before you open the mail box... if it's a thick brown envelope, congratulations. If it's a thin white envelope, I'd probably start crying and hoping for waitlist.

:P

Must put away my MacBook.

On the green schedule they sent out, they say that final decisions are beginning on May 31st. Has anyone heard when we'll be getting letters?

Yea...that deep breathing stuff doesn't do much for me hah.

I explained my situation and why I don't live in MB at the moment so Beth agreed to send me an email today (the 5th) about my status.

I didn't get in.

IP

Physics: 12

Verbal: 9

Bio: 12

W: O

I'm an EMT basic, have hospital volunteer time in ER and Obs, various school committees...lets just say my volunteer work took up all the space on that fuking application. Why denied? who knows.

gl everyone else.

Archived