Premed 101 Forums

puck this wait!

Hey Guys,

I emailed Beth Jennings, she told me they are not sending emails (I asked about people in Winnipeg not sure if this applies to everyone) so most likely the letters for the first acceptances (which are still going to be sent on May 15) won't get there until after the long weekend. The second batch will be sent on June 4th. Same as previous years. Hopefully time passes quickly until we all find out!

PUCK THAT!

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so Beth said that the letters wouldn't get to us until after the long weekend? doesn't that defeat the purpose of trying to send the first batch out at the same time as all other Cdn Universities?

Well it's possible people may get them the next day if you live in the city, but I have never received mail that quickly. Also, you have approx 2 weeks before you have to commit to any other school, so you will know in time. If you're OOP you may get an email still, like I said, I just asked about ppl in the city and she definitely said there will be no emails for those in Winnipeg.

Check out the "Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)" thread. Letters last year were sent out May 15th, and a lot of people had already posted their acceptances on the morning of May 16th. In regards to the emailing of decision, it is likely that out of Wpg addressed people will still get emails to keep everybody at a same time level. It often takes around 4-5 business days to get a letter from Wpg to the golden horseshoe or GTA which would worry and disadvantage applicants especially ones addressed to the coasts.

There's always the option of emailing Beth too. I asked her if she'd be ok with that and she said yes. The only catch is that she will only tell you if there's anything in the mail for you, not the nature of the letter.

the only send acceptances to ip on the 15th

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that everyone got either mail (in province) or email (out of province) on the 15th.

You're wrong :D, not everyone gets a letter on May 15. If you get a letter around that day, you're probably accepted.

Can someone please confirm that they only send IP invitations on May 15th? I though they sent the first batch of people that they have made decisions about, either positive or negative...

I can't confirm that OOPs receive anything on May 15th, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did since admissions would probably want the ball rolling on getting thru the wait list and to compete with other schools that also send their acceptances that day. I'm judging this by this thread from 2006 http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1739&page=2 If I remember correctly, this was the first year that U of M stopped doing early admissions and switched to the May 15 offer ~70% acceptances first batch scheme.

May 15 = Day of celebration or more waiting.

--------------------------------------

May 15, 2008

Initial offers of admission

Late May to early June

Faculty mails letters conveying their decision to offer, waitlist or not accept

candidates.

source: http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/media/medicine_bulletin.pdf

in respect to the 70% acceptances first batch scheme, anyone have any idea of the reasoning behind this? Why not just give out all 100% of acceptances right at May 15th. Wouldn't they want to get as many of their top 110 as they could and not give any of those 110 a chance to receive an offer elsewhere first and pretty much be forced to accept their since they would have had no word from manitoba?

Especially for the OOP, I would think they would offer the 10 spots right away and try to get the most competitive OOPs as they could since many will probably have offers at other schools come May 15th.

in respect to the 70% acceptances first batch scheme, anyone have any idea of the reasoning behind this? Why not just give out all 100% of acceptances right at May 15th. Wouldn't they want to get as many of their top 110 as they could and not give any of those 110 a chance to receive an offer elsewhere first and pretty much be forced to accept their since they would have had no word from manitoba?

Especially for the OOP, I would think they would offer the 10 spots right away and try to get the most competitive OOPs as they could since many will probably have offers at other schools come May 15th.

Not everyone has their transcript received by U of M early enough so that their AGPA can be calculated by mid May or earlier. Even though AGPA is only worth 10%, it could make the difference for some people. BTW, 70% is a guess. I've been it's about 2/3s.

If someone really wants to go to another school, I'm sure they are more willing to give up the $500 deposit or whatever amount it is if they are initially accepted to a school that is lower on their list.

Lose $500 + School of choice > 4 years somewhere you dont like + $500 deposit

All OOP applicants that got interviews are SUPER competitive with amazing stats regardless...

All OOP applicants that got interviews are SUPER competitive with amazing stats regardless...

I don't know if I would completely agree, I guess it depends on what you are considering when you say that they/we are super competitive. Sure the MCAT scores are super competitive since it's such a high portion of the final ranking, however I think that UofM may attract some OOP applicants with above average MCATs but average/below average GPAs. This is the case for me at least, where my MCAT was high but my GPA is borderline around the interview cutoffs for many schools, so I only ended up with 2 interviews and while my MCAT is super competitive, I wouldn't consider myself as a super competitive applicant in general.

And the interview invite criteria was only based on GPA and MCAT, no? So who knows if all of the OOPs have super competitive EC's, etc.

All I know is that while I hope that I am ranked high enough in the OOP pool, I also hope that the people above me are good enough receive acceptances other places and free up some OOP spots if I'm on the waiting list, haha.

My MCAT is a 38Q, and last year I was rejected pre-interview with a AGPA of 3.96ish. This year the GPA was up to maybe 4.01ish (can't remember exactly) and I got an interview. Explanation I received last year about OOP cutoffs was they made a list of people above a certain GPA and a list above a certain MCAT, but still had too many people so they they upped the GPA a bit and ranked the people somehow, and I was just below the GPA to be ranked, so no interview. My 4th year marks brought my GPA up and I got to drop more credits so the higher GPA this year gave me an interview I'm assuming.

And to the same effect, i'm sure that a 4.5 GPA could've been rejected with a below average MCAT, especially since MCAT is worth so much at the end.

All I know is that I better get accepted somewhere this year before the 50% MCAT weighting disappears!

does this mean that individuals with really high MCATs or GPAs could have been rejected pre-interview?

so basically you're saying that OOP have Manitoba as a backup? I don't think that's the case at all. We have a few OOP in my class that had Manitoba as their first choice, including myself. Last year the average interview or acceptance GPA for OOP was something like 4.3 no? I can't remember.

there was definately more than just GPA/MCAT this year, but if you're hoping Manitoba is just a backup, and you don't to come here, I hope you get in elsewhere, cause our school is great, and we want people who want to be here.

?

I think you misunderstood something I said because I'm definitely not saying that OOP have Manitoba as a backup, and not really sure what this reply is making reference too.

I would like to respond to this comment more, and I actually started typing more of an reply, however i feel as though it would be a lot better reply (that would probably make more sense) if I knew what part of my posts gave you that impression. But I assure you that's not what I was saying, that it's not surprising at all that OOPs would have UofM as their first choice, and that I personally would be honored to gain an offer of acceptance from manitoba.

You state that there was definitely more than just GPA/MCAT this year. Are you referring to ranking for interview invites, or post-interview? If the latter, I obviously agree as PAS is 40% of the final score. If the former, that's news to me as all I know is what I was told last year and I didn't get that impression, and as I had previously asked to someone else, do you know what else was looked at pre-interview this year?

So yeah, I think I'm gonna leave it at that for this message. I could maybe add a couple other things, but I'm not sure if I completely understand your message or if you're suggesting that I don't think UofM is great or that you don't think I should come because you don't think I want to, so i'll just leave it at that for now, and reply further when I understand where you're coming from or what this was in reply to from my posts.

so basically you're saying that OOP have Manitoba as a backup? I don't think that's the case at all. We have a few OOP in my class that had Manitoba as their first choice, including myself. Last year the average interview or acceptance GPA for OOP was something like 4.3 no? I can't remember.

there was definately more than just GPA/MCAT this year, but if you're hoping Manitoba is just a backup, and you don't to come here, I hope you get in elsewhere, cause our school is great, and we want people who want to be here.

just to clear up some things. From what I understood this year they considered any OOP applicant who had 11 or higher MCAT and a 4.0ish gpa (don't know if its weighted or not). This however just got you considered, it did not get you an automatic interview, as some ppl who had stats far above these were not granted an interview. I'm supposing that, if you made these cut-offs, they then looked at your short list of EC's that they had on the application form.

Moose, I'm not sure how you got the idea of OOP using UofM as a backup from earlier posts, but technically, some OOP do. Especially when you have multiple interviews, which many OOP have, some of their schools are 'backups'. Yes there are some, that UofM is first choice, but considering how far the OOP waitlists go, you can tell, there is a portion of the OOP applicants are using UofM as a backup. This also doesn't negatively reflect on manitoba, just that applicants will prefer a certain school for a variety of factors, including: location, type of city, weather, type of learning style.

Hey Guys,

I emailed Beth Jennings, she told me they are not sending emails (I asked about people in Winnipeg not sure if this applies to everyone) so most likely the letters for the first acceptances (which are still going to be sent on May 15) won't get there until after the long weekend. The second batch will be sent on June 4th. Same as previous years. Hopefully time passes quickly until we all find out!

wow I just noticed this post now....that's super annoying. I was so stoked to check my mail box today!

Archived