Premed 101 Forums

How much do dentists make on average in say Ontario?

I know a dentist and his gross income is half a million, but he also works from 9-7:30 and from Mon-Sat. He receives about 20 patients a day. There's 2 operating rooms/himself/1 office manager/1 dental assistant....so income-wise it should be above average....each dentist sets his own work parameters

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to hear that you have such disappointment towards pharmacy. As for scheduling full, it depends on where you practice and how many practices are around you.

Good Pharmacists, bad pharmacists, same hold true with MD and DDS. As for the prescribing rights, I am not going to go into this.

Good Luck on your study.

I have really mixed feelings about being a pharmacist. I'm going to miss a lot of my patients when I leave, but there's a lot about the job I won't miss. Like the Mondays when I get 5 minutes if I'm lucky to eat something on a busy 12 hour shift, or the Sundays when it's so slow I'm bored out of my mind. Dentistry I think will be great because you fill your day with scheduled appointments, so it'll be a nice steady pace. I work in a retail pharmacy now, but when I did my hospital placement the docs and residents were fine. It's true there's not a lot of autonomy in pharmacy. We mostly just watch for errors in prescriptions and ask the prescribing doctors to fix them... Pharmacy is trying to get prescribing rights, but I personally think anyone that wants to be qualified to prescribe needs to go to med (or dent) school first! In terms of respect for the profession, I think patients generally do, but I look up to my dentist way more than I do any of

my pharmacy colleagues or my own position and how I got there. When I got into pharmacy school, there was no PCAT

and you only needed a 60% and 1 year undergrad to apply. And when I got recruited for jobs in my last year, there's

no real screening process; most chains will hire a monkey if they had their degree and could legally unlock a pharmacy

gate. They didn't care if you had honours or barely scraped by to pass. So there's a lot of good pharmacists and a LOT

of bad pharmacists out there. I guess it's probably true for dentists too, but at least the schools try to pick people that will make good dentists.

________

Mercedes-benz 600

$130,000CDN average. Both of my cousins are dentists practicing in QC, and that is a rough estimate of their income.

Is that pre-tax? Because you can make about $20k more than that as a pharmacist if we're talking gross... Of course, that's working almost 50 h a week and getting a decent yearly bonus. Plus no write-offs, so it's about 90k take home. Oh, and that's southwestern Ontario.

I am kind of surprised by most of these numbers. I wouldn't have guessed it, but apparently dentists make more in Saskatchewan than most places. The average here is $145,800, and that's with only 56.7% working full time. Source: saskjobfutures.ca , they have a lot of good info there.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Hey guys:

My mom's a dentist and she definately doens't make that much money as the "average" they list...

The majority of the problem is the high overhead costs, and paying staff etc..

for example a cleaning is 150$...but its around 35$/hr just the hygienist, another 10-20$/receptionist, assistants, the rent, the equipment etc...

Realistically anywhere from 50-90k$....but that's working overtime and spending probably over 60hrs a week.

Hmmm... that seems a bit high for a receptionist salary, no? It seems there are so many receptionist jobs these days that it keeps the wages down. I suppose this may vary somewhat in medical fields, which tend to be more expensive to clients (and their insurance companies!) ;)

these are gross billings, not net. you have to factor in overhead, accounting fees etc.

i can assure you dentists bill much more, although their overhead is significantly higher.

My GP told me overhead is usually 25-30 %. Their malpractice insurance is paid for by the government. What other expenses do they have?

hey alphacow, do u or anyone else on this forum know how much an associate would make?? im sure it varies by region, but alberta, ontario, bc??

It varies alot by region, but also by how skilled you are. Most associates are paid as a percentage of their billing, so the faster you work, the more you earn. Vancouver is pretty saturated with dentists, so as an associate, you'll usually be paid 35-40% of the collection. I'm sure it's the same in Toronto. I think the earnings are typically higher in Alberta because they have no official fee guide, so many dentists can charge as they please. I have friends who have recently graduated from dent school. Some of them work in major cities as associates ( vancouver, toronto etc) and make ~150k. Many of them work part time in 2-3 offices because it's getting very hard to find full time associate positions. Many of my friends from UBC dentistry are planning to work in Northern BC for a couple of years to pay off their huge student loans. Apparently, there's a bigger patient base up north and they can sometimes exceed 250k-300k as an associate. Keep in mind that the living expenses up north is also ALOT cheaper, so they can pay off their loans much faster. I'm sure with more experience your earnings will generally rise. Money shouldn't really be an issue once you graduate. You are never going to be on the forbes 500 list, but you'll never be "poor" either. The most important thing is to enjoy what you're doing!!!

Hey do you guys know how the army stacks up to these earnings?

(dental officer training program (DOTP))

I think if you apply to the DOTP as soon as you receive an acceptance letter and they take you, the army will pay for all of your tuition and perhaps part of your living expenses. After you graduate, you have to work for at least 2 years with the army at an assigned base (you don't get to choose). I think you have to go on at least one deployment as well. You are paid a salary, so there aren't any overheads or anything. Not sure how much though, the presentation I went to said it varies, but usually ~100-150K?

It varies alot by region, but also by how skilled you are. Most associates are paid as a percentage of their billing, so the faster you work, the more you earn. Vancouver is pretty saturated with dentists, so as an associate, you'll usually be paid 35-40% of the collection. I'm sure it's the same in Toronto. I think the earnings are typically higher in Alberta because they have no official fee guide, so many dentists can charge as they please. I have friends who have recently graduated from dent school. Some of them work in major cities as associates ( vancouver, toronto etc) and make ~150k. Many of them work part time in 2-3 offices because it's getting very hard to find full time associate positions. Many of my friends from UBC dentistry are planning to work in Northern BC for a couple of years to pay off their huge student loans. Apparently, there's a bigger patient base up north and they can sometimes exceed 250k-300k as an associate. Keep in mind that the living expenses up north is also ALOT cheaper, so they can pay off their loans much faster. I'm sure with more experience your earnings will generally rise. Money shouldn't really be an issue once you graduate. You are never going to be on the forbes 500 list, but you'll never be "poor" either. The most important thing is to enjoy what you're doing!!!

thanks for the info, lately been worrying alot since I applied to many US schools and I think that is where I will end up (canada is super competitive), if not this year, then next. on sdn most ppl say that associates start at 120K, plus all the other expenses, from ppl that ive spoken to, it seems that you make much more in canada and collections seem to be higher here as well

Well I went to the recruiting center and here is the lowdown for the army:

first summer: 15 weeks of Basic training in Quebec. Salary (around 2000 per month)

During school, all tuition paid and a salary of about 4569 dollars per month. No living costs paid.

Mandatory 4 year service with the army at a base of their choice. Here the salary goes up as you rise the ranks but still around the range of 60 thousand per year. After 3rd year of service, mandatory 6 month deployment. Also after these 3 years you can apply for specialization in one of a few listed on their website.

Only after you do a specialization does your salary rise about 100,000.

I still have to call the head of the DOTP program to try to get the specifics on specialization and shizzle but so far what it says on the website is what it is. I also want to see how much I can push them in the interview salary wise when making the contract because you can still decline after the contract has been made.

Overall I'm not sure how good it is. Definitely nice to have no debt but signing 4 years of your life away isn't.

Hopefully I might be able to get a base location down in the contract as well.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this? not sure if its worth it. Maybe just sucking up the tuition and then having freedom to work anywhere you want after school might be good. But then again, I can import a 2009 Nissan GTR from the states with full duty in less than a year with them.

HMMMMM

Well I went to the recruiting center and here is the lowdown for the army:

first summer: 15 weeks of Basic training in Quebec. Salary (around 2000 per month)

During school, all tuition paid and a salary of about 4569 dollars per month. No living costs paid.

Mandatory 4 year service with the army at a base of their choice. Here the salary goes up as you rise the ranks but still around the range of 60 thousand per year. After 3rd year of service, mandatory 6 month deployment. Also after these 3 years you can apply for specialization in one of a few listed on their website.

Only after you do a specialization does your salary rise about 100,000.

I still have to call the head of the DOTP program to try to get the specifics on specialization and shizzle but so far what it says on the website is what it is. I also want to see how much I can push them in the interview salary wise when making the contract because you can still decline after the contract has been made.

Overall I'm not sure how good it is. Definitely nice to have no debt but signing 4 years of your life away isn't.

Hopefully I might be able to get a base location down in the contract as well.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this? not sure if its worth it. Maybe just sucking up the tuition and then having freedom to work anywhere you want after school might be good. But then again, I can import a 2009 Nissan GTR from the states with full duty in less than a year with them.

HMMMMM

From my friends who were accepted, I can tell you a few things. It's competitive - both my classmates got in off waitlist and they both are the types of people I expect in the army.

Salary is non-negotiable. It's a standard amount. You will sign away all your summers which means no externships/summer studentships. The base selection is not given to you at contract. You only list your top 5 (I believe it's 5) choices in 4th year. You may not even get your 5th choice as happened to my classmate who is stuck on the east coast. During the 4 years in the army, you are suppose to receive a salary equivalent to a practicing associate. I know that my friend bought a new audi 1 month out of school.

I think you need to realize that you aren't as in demand as you think. You don't get to negotiate as much as you like. This is a competitive program as a lot of dental students apply. It's a great opportunity provided you do not have significant others who will not be happy moving around.

Archived