Premed 101 Forums

Other careers where an MD is an asset?

Medical writing consultant for a TV show like Scrubs, ER, or Gray's. That is what I will probably do.

g

I was actually thinking about doing this, although I don't live in an area with a lot of high-production values. LOL.

Thanks for your replies every body.

If it's your sort of thing, management consulting firms such as McKinsey are big on recruiting talent with advanced professional degrees:

http://www.mckinsey.com/careers/is_mckinsey_right_for_me/backgrounds_like_yours/other_advanced_degrees.aspx

Seems like an awful waste of a MD degree to me...but maybe not to others.

This is interesting, although I don't know for certain what it is they do at McKinsey.

Its all relative what you do with an MD. Lots of people are happy doing whatever in medicine. Im not. I like a very limited number of things. If i cant match into them, im not going to do anything else in medicine. No 2nd round for me. But i also have to put food on the table and pay back my loans so ill need another job. The way i see it, id rather go get another job that pays ok and has ok hours than work 80hrs a week in a residency i dont want to be in, and be a doc in a field i care nothing for with no incentives for career advancement. weve all seen docs like this that are miserable because they didnt do what they really wanted to and because of that the patient care suffers. i dont want to be one of those docs.

i will write a letter to the minister of health about the limited options one has for residency in canada if they are not succesful their first time through the match. its only one letter and therefore its futile, but its at least something.

I though some of them only wanted GPs?

Even as a family physician, you still need to complete 2 yrs of residency. Most others residency programs are 5 yrs in length. You cannot practice as a physician until you have successfully completed a residency program and passed the MCCQE's.

thanks right - "army route" involves you basically doing your residency with them. After medical school you will get promoted to the rank of lieutenant and they will (with your input) send you somewhere for training.

After that your mandatory service begins. You get the rank of captain at that point.

Archived