Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hey,

I am new to this forum and I was wondering if you could help assess my chances. I have finished third year and will be writing MCATs this summer.

First year: 3.47 (80+ in all courses except one)

Second year: 3.95

Third Year: 3.90

Cgpa: 3.64 ( I took summer courses)

ECs:

- Exec of a club for 2 years, with one year being the president

- Hospital volunteer for 1 year, involves lot of patient interaction

- Working as a part time research assistant for the last 1 year and will continue next year.

- Participated in several science outreach programs around the GTA over the past 2 years.

- Volunteered in senior's home for 1 summer ( 2 months)

-Been a Peer Mentor for students with learning disabilities for past 2 years.

Will be taking up a thesis course + volunteer as a first aid provider from following sept.

I am not sure if I should apply as a 3rd year student, since Im not too confident about my LORs atm and my ECs are not stellar.

you should apply... but make sure you meet MCAT cut offs! you are guaranteed an interview at UWO if you can get an 11 in VR, got one at queen's if you have R writing sample and 10/10/10 MCAT (and decent LORs), Mac depends on how well you do on VR and CASPER and UofT does a weighted GPA that works out in your favour (a lot of your first year will be discounted). you also have a 3.845 GPA for ottawa... and if they round up that's a 3.85 which is good enough for non-Ottawa, IP Ontario applicants.

good luck!

you should apply... but make sure you meet MCAT cut offs! you are guaranteed an interview at UWO if you can get an 11 in VR, got one at queen's if you have R writing sample and 10/10/10 MCAT (and decent LORs), Mac depends on how well you do on VR and CASPER and UofT does a weighted GPA that works out in your favour (a lot of your first year will be discounted). you also have a 3.845 GPA for ottawa... and if they round up that's a 3.85 which is good enough for non-Ottawa, IP Ontario applicants.

good luck!

Just for clarification, meeting the Queen's cutoffs doesn't guarantee an interview anymore. That changed this past cycle.

Hey guys looking to apply to ontario schools this year for fall 2012 cycle

Studying in my fourth year at Waterloo taking Health Studies

Term Units GPA

1st year (fall) 2.5 3.7

1st year (winter) 3 3.51

2nd year (summer) 2.5 3.74

2nd year (fall) 3 3.66

3rd year (winter) 2.5 3.86

3rd year (fall) 2.5 3.84

4th year (winter) 3 3.54

MCAT (august 2010) B 9/ Phys 11 / V 10 Writing: Q

Total 30Q

I have one more semester to complete this fall

I had to take one semester off in the winter of 2nd year due to medical reasons and as a result had my course sequence rearranged a bit so this fall I will require 2 more courses to graduate but am going to be taking a few courses extra to meet the full course load requirement

I have also completed all my science prereqs

I have volunteering experience both in the hospital and in clinical settings at a cardiac rehabilitation center and a cancer patient exercise clinic

I am also an exec member on the pre med society, and have been part of various cultural clubs and the varsity dance team for three years

I haven't had any research positions yet but hope to get some done between the time i finish my undergrad in december and hopefully begin med school in september however I won't be able to add that on my application yet

I am also late in the game in terms of making solid connections with any of my professors but will look to be doing that as soon as school starts as I will be having a few seminar courses which will allow for closer interaction with the professor.

Do I have a shot at getting into Ontario med schools or should I start looking south to either the US MD/DO and carribean route?

Hi Desiallstar,

Calculate your GPA in Fall/Winter blocks to get a better approximation of where you stand. Based on your course load, you look as if you would be eligible for the wGPA formula at UofT. Your MCAT score is good enough for UofT and Mac. However, since the MCAT cut-off is representative of the pool of applicants each year, you might be borderline for Western and Queens. That being said, you might try to re-write the MCAT while placing a special emphasis on VB to boost your chances at MAC and Western. If re-writing the MCAT is simply not an option, apply to the four schools I've listed. I think that if you spend a lot of time on the essay component for MAC and UofT's application, you could very well land yourself an interview. Lastly, take a look at Dalhousie. I know they require a 3.7 GPA in two (or the last two years) of your degree, your MCAT score is good enough, again, you just have to ace the essay component.

Your GPA is pretty good, but relative to other pre-meds it's not all of that competitive. That being said, you need to really impress the admin with your essay (where applicable). If you are so fortunate to obtain interviews, you need to outshine every other applicant. All in all, I think you have a shot in Canada.

Good luck!;)

Hey,

I am new to this forum and I was wondering if you could help assess my chances. I have finished third year and will be writing MCATs this summer.

First year: 3.47 (80+ in all courses except one)

Second year: 3.95

Third Year: 3.90

Cgpa: 3.64 ( I took summer courses)

ECs:

- Exec of a club for 2 years, with one year being the president

- Hospital volunteer for 1 year, involves lot of patient interaction

- Working as a part time research assistant for the last 1 year and will continue next year.

- Participated in several science outreach programs around the GTA over the past 2 years.

- Volunteered in senior's home for 1 summer ( 2 months)

-Been a Peer Mentor for students with learning disabilities for past 2 years.

Will be taking up a thesis course + volunteer as a first aid provider from following sept.

I am not sure if I should apply as a 3rd year student, since Im not too confident about my LORs atm and my ECs are not stellar.

I am confused. If you are done your third year (and starting your fourth in September), does that actually count as a third year applicant? :confused:

1st year - 2.78

2nd year - 3.38

3rd year - 3.61

4th year - 3.63

I took 36 credits in my forth year and 30 credits each year prior to that... I am currently enrolled in an MSc. MCAT 34S and pretty good ECs. What would my chances look like/which schools should I be applying to that would give me the best chances? I am from Ontario so I don't think I have any sway in terms of the GPA.

Also - some schools look at the best/last two years of study. In a research-based masters, only a small number of courses are required. Will any schools consider these courses as one of the two years?

1st year - 2.78

2nd year - 3.38

3rd year - 3.61

4th year - 3.63

I took 36 credits in my forth year and 30 credits each year prior to that... I am currently enrolled in an MSc. MCAT 34S and pretty good ECs. What would my chances look like/which schools should I be applying to that would give me the best chances? I am from Ontario so I don't think I have any sway in terms of the GPA.

Also - some schools look at the best/last two years of study. In a research-based masters, only a small number of courses are required. Will any schools consider these courses as one of the two years?

You need to do a second degree.

1st year - 2.78

2nd year - 3.38

3rd year - 3.61

4th year - 3.63

Where are you from? What is your VR score? If you're from Ontario, you're facing an uphill battle, especially since you're doing a MSc (some schools won't consider a second undergrad after you've completed a MSc, I don't know which).

Assuming you're not from a preferred residency pool (e.g. SWOMEN, Ottawa, Maritimes, Praries/West Coast)...

Mac is always a possibility (but a long shot) if you ace Casper and have a good VR score. U of T is also a possibility if you can really sell the grad student/research side of yourself, but is a long shot. I don't know what Queen's has done with their application system, but you might have a shot with them. I don't think you have a shot at Western, Ottawa, NOSM.

Dal will consider your best 2 years + MSc grades if you've completed your undergrad and have taken all of your grad school classes, but if you're OOP it is a long shot (you would need near perfect essay/supplemental scores to make up for your GPA). I don't know of any other schools that consider grad grades.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you're looking at few options. You could try taking a second undergrad (but research this with each school to make sure they will look at these grades). You could consider moving somewhere to gain residency status, and applying in a year/two years (depending on the school). I know that for Dal, you can apply after living in the maritimes for 2 years (i.e. if you moved here in September, you could apply for the class of 2017). Or you're looking at studying overseas.

If places have an OOP cutoff of 3.6 for best two years is my overall too low to be considered? Or will they just consider the two years and maybe my MCAT and ECs will allow me to get an interview?

Sorry to say this but barely meeting the cutoff for competitive OOP = almost 0% chance. I hate to say this but I think you should look at options outside of Canada (unless you can gain residency somewhere other than Ontario.

If places have an OOP cutoff of 3.6 for best two years is my overall too low to be considered? Or will they just consider the two years and maybe my MCAT and ECs will allow me to get an interview?

There are always exceptions; that being said, you have to consider the level of competition for these med school spots. Just scraping by the cutoffs doesn't cut it in most cases.

Hi Desiallstar,

Calculate your GPA in Fall/Winter blocks to get a better approximation of where you stand. Based on your course load, you look as if you would be eligible for the wGPA formula at UofT. Your MCAT score is good enough for UofT and Mac. However, since the MCAT cut-off is representative of the pool of applicants each year, you might be borderline for Western and Queens. That being said, you might try to re-write the MCAT while placing a special emphasis on VB to boost your chances at MAC and Western. If re-writing the MCAT is simply not an option, apply to the four schools I've listed. I think that if you spend a lot of time on the essay component for MAC and UofT's application, you could very well land yourself an interview. Lastly, take a look at Dalhousie. I know they require a 3.7 GPA in two (or the last two years) of your degree, your MCAT score is good enough, again, you just have to ace the essay component.

Your GPA is pretty good, but relative to other pre-meds it's not all of that competitive. That being said, you need to really impress the admin with your essay (where applicable). If you are so fortunate to obtain interviews, you need to outshine every other applicant. All in all, I think you have a shot in Canada.

Good luck!;)

Thanks for the input coco, highly appreciated! I will be giving the MCAT another shot this summer to boost my VR and composite score.

Hi All,

I am just finishing up my MSc at U of T and I am thinking I want to study for the MCAT over the next year and apply for med school.

how much will my fist year in Engineering (which I bombed because I hated it) affect me? These are my annual GPAs:

1st year (engineering) - 1.22 (ouch - I was bored, never went to class)

2nd year (after switching) - 4.0

3rd - 3.88

4th - 3.91

5th - 3.85

MSc - 4.0 (only 2 courses though since my program is thesis based).

I haven't written the MCAT, but I teach math/science and am a good writer as well as test writer, so i think at least a 35R is doable.

Will my first year (which brings down my cGPA quite a bit) hurt me a lot? Will my improvements over the rest of my studies overcome that terrible first year?

Thanks

P.S. Ideally I would like to stay at U of T for med school (my fiance is starting her career here and thus moving would be VERY difficult), but otherwise I would prefer to at least be in a major city (like most, I know) such as Montreal or Vancouver.

1st year (engineering) - 1.22 (ouch - I was bored, never went to class)

2nd year (after switching) - 4.0

3rd - 3.88

4th - 3.91

5th - 3.85

MSc - 4.0 (only 2 courses though since my program is thesis based).

I assume your residency is Ontario and you are not from the northern part.

Other than McGill, MUN, NOSM, and possibly UBC, I would apply everywhere in Canada. Your stats should land you at least 2-3 interviews, assuming your MCAT is good. Like high chance ones are UWO, Queens, Mac, and Ottawa. OOP ones are worth a shot too since your last 2 years are excellent.

In short, your 1st year has done only minor damage. Don't forget UofT uses a weighting formula.

hey guys!

I've been having a really bad time in the last couple weeks. I am planning to get in after 3 years of undergrad in any school suggested in the flowchart but most likely calgary or alberta since IP for these.

first 2 years: 3.93(all sciences with only 2 english in arts)

prepping for MCAT, got 28 in AAMC #3 as my diagnostic(no studying for done that)

100 hours ER physician shadowing, volunteering with redcross since last 2 years(organized n initiated major fund raisers for Japan earthquake n Pakistan floods in my college)

some hospital volunteering, Cheif editor for a newsletter

is this good enough?

so the some old question, DO I HAVE A CHANCE?

Thanks ain advance!

So u do think I have a shot after 3 years? Should I apply/look for schools in US that consider after 3 years too? Thank you! Even a affirmation means alot when someone goes Is in such a low mindstate as I m right now. Thank you :)

Oh and can u suggest something that I could do along with my MCAT prep? Anything more interesting than volunteering at hospital front desk?

1) you have a shot, try applying broadly - check the American forum for schools, I'm sorry I don't know much bout them

2) Create your own volunteer initiative...works better, more to talk about it. What interests you is really dependent, lol, on you. Sorry that we can't be specific, but you really should use your creative facilities.

Good luck

Hi,

I just finished my first year at york in biomed .. I didn't have high marks .. I got 4 Bs and two B+s .. I took 24 credits too .. If I work very hard in my second & 3rd & 4th year & get As .. would I be competitive enough?

Most definitely,

You're not the only one with "mediocre" grades during their first year, and there is room for improvement and yes you do stand a chance. As mentioned in this forum, there are medical schools that will look at your best two years, have a weighted formula with emphasis on your upper years, etc.

The most important thing is that you realize EXACTLY what you need to do differently to make sure you see improvement. The last thing you would want is to post next year asking if a good year 3 and 4 would get you in, then the year after asking if a good year 4 and 5 would get you in....

Excuse me if that sounds harsh, I'd rather be blunt and help you out than just sugar coat life and send you off to a different profession :)

Hi guys,

I have just finished my 3rd year and wanted to know if I have a chance at a Ontario Medical School. I'm from Ontario.

My first 2 years were Horrible, with a B- to C+ GPA.

This last year i really worked hard and had a 3.8 GPA for the entire year. I also wrote the MCAT last summer and got a 36S.

I also have actual research experience in a lab since the summer of 1st year

What medical schools do i have a chance in.

Thanks

Hey everyone

I'm thinking about writing my mcat but i'm not sure if i even have a chance at the school that require it.

I just finished my 3rd year Honors Kinesiology at McGill

1st year gpa- 2.81 (2.93, 2.66 due to a traumatic first year)

2nd year 3.19 (3.42, 2.95 (6 classes))

3rd year-3.68 (3.56, 3.80)

I'm francophone and moving to northern ontario and working in a doctor office doing my own project (so i'm really hoping for northern).I'm gonna apply to ottawa and the three french schools in quebec

where do you think I should apply? and should I write my mcat?

thanks!!