Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

In terms of ECs, I'm a little worried as to what constitutes a good amount of ECs. I know you should do things you enjoy but then there are people who also say that you should try and hit a bunch of different areas rather than specialize in a few.

Right now I'm finishing my second year and I've got:

1) 8 months of research experience (paid - no pubs)

2) 5-ish years of hospital volunteering as a Team Leader

3) Executive Director and Co-founder of a charity that is working towards being Canada Revenue Agency recognized.

4) Going overseas this summer by myself (ie, without any organizations) for a cross-cultural experience and to help out in a rural medical setting with a doctor I know.

I try to meddle in intramurals and the like, but should I try and get a broader range of experience? I'm going to also help out at a walk-in clinic in my neighborhood to try and get to know the profession a bit better too.

I don't want it to seem like I'm asking if this is enough... I just want to know if I'm on the right track doing what I enjoy rather than simply trying to hit a bunch of categories....

I think you have good dedication, which is very admirable - 2 years and so much research! Great job on that.

I think you should continue on the path of dedicating yourself to these activities and perhaps show some personal development as well. For example, an instrument, a high level of sports, hobbies? This would show that you're even MORE well rounded...right now it seems like you're dedicating your time to participating in serving others, but you should also take time for personal investment as well (as you know, doctors do need to balance work/life/body/spirit).

I'm finishing up my third year and my cGPA is between 3.80-3.85. Is that a "safe" GPA zone to be in, or does it need to be higher? When my cGPA is weighted for U of T it is greater than 3.90 - same for Western and Queens. I'm not applying to Ottawa. I'm going to take the MCAT this summer.

Mac, you are safe. :D

In terms of ECs, I'm a little worried as to what constitutes a good amount of ECs. I know you should do things you enjoy but then there are people who also say that you should try and hit a bunch of different areas rather than specialize in a few.

Right now I'm finishing my second year and I've got:

1) 8 months of research experience (paid - no pubs)

2) 5-ish years of hospital volunteering as a Team Leader

3) Executive Director and Co-founder of a charity that is working towards being Canada Revenue Agency recognized.

4) Going overseas this summer by myself (ie, without any organizations) for a cross-cultural experience and to help out in a rural medical setting with a doctor I know.

I try to meddle in intramurals and the like, but should I try and get a broader range of experience? I'm going to also help out at a walk-in clinic in my neighborhood to try and get to know the profession a bit better too.

I don't want it to seem like I'm asking if this is enough... I just want to know if I'm on the right track doing what I enjoy rather than simply trying to hit a bunch of categories....

Do you have hobbies? Do you like to play sports, run, knit, etc. Because those are ECs too and they would show a work/life balance.

Do you have hobbies? Do you like to play sports, run, knit, etc. Because those are ECs too and they would show a work/life balance.

Well yeah, I play basketball (not competitively) about 3 days a week and I also write articles for a basketball webpage... if that counts?

But I suppose that's your point - to show a good balance of med-related activities and things that I do for fun...

Does the difference between a 3.83 and a 3.9 really make that much of a difference, cGPA wise? I'm eligible for many weighting formulas (U of T, Western, Queens, etc) and when I calculate my wGPA, it really does make a fantastic difference.

So I was wondering how schools usually use GPA pre-interview and post-interview, and how much in is worth in the long run. Will you get an interview provided everything else is okay (above 33 MCAT well rounded, good/unique ECs, strong LORs) with above a 3.8? Or is it absolutely essential to have above a 3.85?

Just a bit confused on whether I should stay back a year to improve GPA

Does the difference between a 3.83 and a 3.9 really make that much of a difference, cGPA wise? I'm eligible for many weighting formulas (U of T, Western, Queens, etc) and when I calculate my wGPA, it really does make a fantastic difference.

So I was wondering how schools usually use GPA pre-interview and post-interview, and how much in is worth in the long run. Will you get an interview provided everything else is okay (above 33 MCAT well rounded, good/unique ECs, strong LORs) with above a 3.8? Or is it absolutely essential to have above a 3.85?

Just a bit confused on whether I should stay back a year to improve GPA

I don't think there's much point in you doing another year. If you have a 3.83 after 4 years, even if you had a 4.0 in your next year your cGPA would only move up to a 3.86.

This probably won't make a difference anywhere except maybe Ottawa. Better bet is to do a master's if medicine doesn't work out in the near future. But a 3.83 is fairly competitive. A lot will ride on your MCAT and ECs.

Hey Thanks Simpy...again my 3.82-3.83 is my cGPA. When it's weighted, it's a lot higher - ex. probably a lot higher for U of T..3.94 something.

When schools look at your GPA pre/post interview, do they look at it with weighting factors they provide? Like will U of T look at my cGPA at all, or will they only look at the wGPA? I'm also confused for Western and Queens - I know I meet cutoffs for both of them (which will give me an interview hopefully with a good MCAT), but does wGPA play a big factor at those two schools post-interview? or do they go back to cGPA?

Thanks for all the help! Sorry for the confusion.

I know for Western that they don't look at cGPA ever. They only take into account your two best years which make their pre-determined cut-off (3.7 in this year's case) both before the interview and afterwards. So if you've already got two years that are higher than that each, then doing a 5th year is useless to you at Western at least.

After talking about who got interviews in third year with a friend last night, i think I can provide some general observations about who is almost guaranteed an interview and who doesn't.

1) GPA: those who did get interviews have very high averages (cGPA > 3.9)

2) MCAT: can range from pass cutoff (balanced 31) to 90th % or higher.

3) ECs: standard to fantastic. They got their research NSERC, some international, a few clubs covered. Nothing like an olympian/rhode, but at least they have something to talk about.

Overall, it seems like the interview selection process is weighed very strongly on the GPA and MCAT still. So I guess the lesson is 1) learn the game early straight out of high school and 2) grades are #1 priority and 3) have some ECs.

So I wonder if ECs can ever make up for the lower range of the GPA spectrum (i.e: 3.8-3.85 cGPA)?

And in addition. Let's look at some hypothetical students and weighting formulas. Student A has a fantastic cGPA (3.9+) for all three years. Student B has had a terrible year but good two years (3.8+). For wGPA, they can almost be the same (for instance, U of T drops lowest 6). Let's assume student B has only screwed up in 3 or 4 classes (low B-, C+, etc) and got As in the rest. Even though Student A has a higher GPA than Student B, the margin of difference is greatly minimized. Both will be above cutoff for U of T, and provided MCAT goes okay (meets cutoff) the process becomes really dependent on personal essay, LORs, and OMSAS ABS.

Let's look at another school, Western. Assume both are going to their fourth year, Western only looks at the top year to see if you pass cutoff. Student A has a perfect year and Student B has an almost perfect third year (3.9 something) provided full course load. GPA again doesn't make too much of a difference - it becomes dependent on MCAT VR, OMSAS ABS, LORs, etc.

Queens again with the same topic. Student A, of course meets the GPA cutoff. Student B might have a better second and third year, so using that they meet cutoff (and they would have met cutoff anyway with their 3.8 cGPA). GPA again doesn't make too much of a difference pre-interview - it becomes once again on the mystery of the Queens calculation system...(I think MCAT writing and overall, OMSAS ABS, LORs, etc).

Mac has CASPER. Student A has a great GPA and good verbal, and let's assume that student B also has a good verbal (VR =11). Because CASPer is worth 46% of the pre-interview score, GPA once again, is not really a very big playing factor.

NOSM - you can make up for a lower GPA with context score (which sadly enough, I do not have).

Ottawa - Assuming all pre-reqs are taken, this is the school where student A will probably get an interview and Student B won't. Because of their wGPA factor (year 1 x1, year 2 x2, etc), Student B will probably have to apply after a strong fourth year to make up for the poor second year. If student B messed up on their first year, but got good marks on second and third, they MAY get an interview depending on the marks.

So bottom line for Ontario schools? GPA doesn't become a huge factor. Though it's great to be close to perfect (and helps immensely for OOP) I don't think there's much to worry about if you're in the 3.8-3.9 zone. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though...

Macbook.

Hi guys,

This is not the traditional "what are my chances?" post we are all familiar with. I know my GPA is fine so in this post I am trying to assess if my ec's are adequate. So these are the major ec's that I do/have done since I was 16 as indicated in OMSAS applications (im a first year undergrad student):

-hockey (competitive and non competitive) ~14 years since I was 4 years old till last year

-lacrosse (non competitive 4 years (13-17 )

-gardening/horticulture

-piano ~10 years ( currently in gr. 8 RCM examinations working towards grade 10 by application time)

-skiing (school ski club member for 6 years) (12 -18)

-reach for the top (grade 10-12 - leading member)

-school math club (grade 11-12 - founding member of club)

-volunteer tutor -grade 10-present

-volunteer with canadian cancer society at hospital -1st year uni. -present

-volunteer piano player at senior's homes (grade 10-present)

-swimming - bronze medallion certification this year working toward nls

-volunteer/ semi payed position as a research assistant in a lab - this summer

The problem is that I don't have much leadership roles, I'm a shy person and I don't know how to take on a leadership role. If you guys have any comments please share, I look forward to your input.

Cheers,

Hi guys' date='

This is not the traditional "what are my chances?" post we are all familiar with. I know my GPA is fine so in this post I am trying to assess if my ec's are adequate. So these are the major ec's that I do/have done since I was 16 as indicated in OMSAS applications (im a first year undergrad student):

-hockey (competitive and non competitive) ~14 years since I was 4 years old till last year

-lacrosse (non competitive 4 years (13-17 )

-gardening/horticulture

-piano ~10 years ( currently in gr. 8 RCM examinations working towards grade 10 by application time)

-skiing (school ski club member for 6 years) (12 -18)

-reach for the top (grade 10-12 - leading member)

-school math club (grade 11-12 - founding member of club)

-volunteer tutor -grade 10-present

-volunteer with canadian cancer society at hospital -1st year uni. -present

-volunteer piano player at senior's homes (grade 10-present)

-swimming - bronze medallion certification this year working toward nls

-volunteer/ semi payed position as a research assistant in a lab - this summer

The problem is that I don't have much leadership roles, I'm a shy person and I don't know how to take on a leadership role. If you guys have any comments please share, I look forward to your input.

Cheers,[/quote']

well, you've got two leadership roles that I can see- reach for the top and school math club. But it seems like those will be a few years old by the time you are applying and might not carry as much weight.

I'd suggest that you keep up with your hockey either through an adults league or coaching or something along those lines... if you coach that would be a pretty solid leadership role.

Leadership opportunities pop up all around us, but you have to be willing to search them out. In your current positions there may be a leadership opportunity that you could take and that would show growth/progression.

Another good leadership opportunity is volunteering with a charity, fundraising with the charity then the following year helping that charity recruit and retain new volunteers and helping those volunteers raise money or whatever.

You could work with a hockey skills camp for children/youth or lacrosse or skiing or go back to your high school and offer to tutor on tues/thurs...

Organize a blanket rally for the homeless or another group that you are interested in helping. Blood bank drives, bone marrow registrations (this is a key one), locks for love... the list goes on.

Just gotta take the first step.

Good luck.

I've always wondered whether leadership roles are more important than volunteer ones. I mean, can we classify leadership in an unpaid position volunteer work?

You can always try organizing conventions or student rallies. I remember one person who organized a rally against student tuition; being involved in student government is also part of "leadership" as well. (and no matter what year you're in, tuition is ALWAYS a concern).

On a smaller scale, you can plan events for your community...for instance getting petitions for a broken road, more shovelling, etc.

Just a few novel ideas.

I've always wondered whether leadership roles are more important than volunteer ones. I mean, can we classify leadership in an unpaid position volunteer work?
Just to address this comment, leadership and volunteer positions are not mutually exclusive. You're correct in saying that a leadership role can be classified as volunteer work. However, there are 2 types of volunteer positions: Those where you demonstrated your leadership skills and those where you did not. When describing the volunteer position on your application, strengths/skills developed are rountinely listed. Therefore, leadership isn't "more important" but it should be a skill that you developed/used in at least one of your ECs and that you can discuss in an interview/use as an MMI example.

I didnt know where else to post this so i figured i'd just post it here.

I think I am in a pretty unique situation right now as i am completing my third year and have a GPA of 2.83 ( i know)

1st year = 2.0

2nd year = 2.5

3rd year = on track for a 4.0

MCAT = 41S

I am an IP in alberta and i know u of a drops your worst year and U of C uses your two best, but even with my 2 best I'd only have a GPA of 3.25 which is below the cutoff for U of A.

My EC's arent all that amazing either....volunteer with autistic children for a year, going abroad this summer for a volunteer project, boys and girls club and a few jobs.

If I apply this cycle do you think i would even have a chance at getting in with my GPA or should i just apply after my fourth year and do an extra year of undergrad in the meantime? hopefully i can use that extra year of undergrad towards another undergrad degree as well in case of me not getting in after 4th year.

any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated!

I didnt know where else to post this so i figured i'd just post it here.

I think I am in a pretty unique situation right now as i am completing my third year and have a GPA of 2.83 ( i know)

1st year = 2.0

2nd year = 2.5

3rd year = on track for a 4.0

MCAT = 41S

I am an IP in alberta and i know u of a drops your worst year and U of C uses your two best, but even with my 2 best I'd only have a GPA of 3.25 which is below the cutoff for U of A.

My EC's arent all that amazing either....volunteer with autistic children for a year, going abroad this summer for a volunteer project, boys and girls club and a few jobs.

If I apply this cycle do you think i would even have a chance at getting in with my GPA or should i just apply after my fourth year and do an extra year of undergrad in the meantime? hopefully i can use that extra year of undergrad towards another undergrad degree as well in case of me not getting in after 4th year.

any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated!

you have a beast MCAT score - please consider helping out in the MCAT preparation forum.

You may need an extra year - this will help you to not only meet cutoff, but also to start research and volunteer activities.

But you never know. You should apply this cycle, and see what happens, but prepare for an extra year/continue with ECs anyway.

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster :) I graduated last year and I'm wondering what my chances for medical school are like.

cGPA - 3.77 (1st 3.80, 2nd 3.73, 3rd 3.76, 4th 3.79)

MCAT - 33Q (10BS, 11VR, 12PS)

My ECs are probably average: sports, coaching, some clubs in university, volunteering at hospital, 2 years of research with no publications.

I'd like to get into a school in Ontario. I know my GPA probably isn't competitive for Ottawa or UofT, but I'm wondering for Western/Queen's/McMaster. I think I meet their cutoffs most years but when I looked through their Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted threads it seems like the large majority of accepted people have ~3.9 GPA and >33 MCAT. I guess I'm wondering if it's worth applying with my stats that barely meet the cutoffs or if it's generally accepted that you need to significantly clear the cutoffs to actually get in? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

UWO: You should definitely apply (assuming your 2 years satisfy their requirement of 5 FCE and 60% thing). If the GPA cutoff stays at 3.7 you will definitely get an interview. Then after the interview you have at least 40% chance, so UWO is a good shot.

Queens: You should definitely apply. You are well above the cutoff for MCAT and above cutoff for GPA as well. Then, it's up to EC and LOR to get you an interview.

McMaster: You should strongly consider applying. VR11 is competitive. CASPER is hard to say, but should give it a shot.

Good luck and best wishes

Time to throw mine in!

I'm just finishing 3rd year, planning to apply to UBC this summer.

cGPA 3.90/4.33

MCAT 33S

ECs:

- Student government since 1st year (150+ hours, conferences too)

- Started a tutoring club, raised ~$1500 so far

- Received faculty service award

- Won an undergraduate poster presentation competition

- Co-op & part time job (are these worth anything at all?)

- NSERC summer USRA

- 50 hours hospital volunteering

- 30 hours volunteering with Variety

- 30 hours SFU club, now an executive

- SFU Jazz Band

- Plays piano (can I include this? I only have myself/my parents to verify this!)

Not sure if I can include it, but:

- Gordon Shrum scholarship

- Millennium excellence scholarship

Hey Guys,

I wanted to get some input about my chances of getting into an Ontario medical school (I am IP in Ontario, specifically rural Northern Ontario). I have been pretty worried because I didn't do as well as I had hoped in the first semester of my third year due to personal reasons and it brought my GPA down. I will be applying to medical school this fall and going into my fourth year. I also wanted to know, based on my stats, what you guys think I need on the MCATs in order to have a chance at getting in. I did them last summer but it was an epic fail (25M), so I am redoing them this summer.

Overall cGPA: 3.85 (1st year=3.87, 2nd year=3.87, 3rd year=3.81 :( )

Overal wGPA: 3.84 (I calculated my wGPA based on Ottawa's formula)

My Autobiographical sketch includes:

-NSERC grant

-Science representative of university student union for 2 years

-Worked as a research assistant for my university biology professor

-submitted an ecology paper for publication

-Volunteered for Retirement home and planning on volunteering at a hospice this summer

-Various scholarships in high school and university

-Published an essay in a book (scholarship award in high school)

-Member of an anti-smoking group in highschool (worked with my local health unit to set up events about smoking, etc)

-Member of various university committees (senate committee, curriculum committee)

-Vice President of university history club for 2 years

-Tutored Highschool and university students in science and math

-Respite care for a disabled child

-10 day Medical camp in Grenada (not sure if I should add this or not- I did get to learn how to suture on cadavers which was pretty neat!)

-Was a part of numerous recruitment events for my university (was filmed in a video, went to the Ontario University Fair, etc.)

-Going on exchange for a semester in England this fall

-Volunteering with Biology Professor

-Coordinated a cancer drive

-Recreational Dancing throughout high school

-Working on a microbiology paper (submitting to Nature) but not sure if it will be finished and sent in for publication before I apply in the fall :( )

I did other stuff too but these are the main things. I didn't want to bore people too much :)

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

1) GPA good, glad to see consistency, wGPA just missed Ottawa's non-Ottawa GPA but otherwise GPA shouldn't really be a problem

2) MCAT - need 10 BS, 11 VR, 10 PS, R to be safe for most Ontario schools. Higher the better for OOP

3) ABS: good to see publications, good volunteering, not too much innovation/leadership roles...more long term commitments would be nice; more self development (this is just my opinion, others may disagree)

should get you some interviews, particularly NOSM if you're rural.