Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

I realize my GPA is the major drawback, but like you mentioned, I am banking on the last/best two years GPA calculation or weighted calculation of Ottawa or Toronto.

And yes, Engineering is my Plan B. I considered switching to a Biology major last year, but decided against it.

How helpful would a full time engineering job for an entire year be for my application?

And is it sensible to push for a research position, even though that actually does not interest me enough?

Thanks

Hello all. I'm a first time poster.

I recently got my MCAT score back and I scored a 36Q (14 PS, 8 VR, 14 BS). I go to UBC and I'm a microbiology and immunology student going into my 4th year in a week.

My first year average was 87%.

My second year average was 91.7%.

I took two summer courses after my 2nd year and got 97% on one three credit course and 100% in another three credit course.

My third year average is 87.8%.

I took one three credit course in the summer after third year and got 90% in that.

I don't really know how to calculate GPAs yet.

My ECs are about 320 hours volunteering at the medical imaging department at the hospital and 80 hours at two retirement homes. I have a few academic awards post-secondary, I know three languages, and I've done about 150 hours of rural work in Bangladesh.

How are my chances? I'm a BC and Quebec resident. I'm applying or have applied to UBC, McGill, U of A, U of Calgary, U of Manitoba, U of Northern Ontario, and U of Ottawa.

hi there! I think the first step getting a good grip on that is to actually compute your GPA - it is often hard to convert an overall average to a GPA because there is no direct comparison (although the higher your overall average the more likely you have a high GPA as well). You are probably fine :)

We actually have a sticky thread for GPA calculations:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20903

Have you had a chance to check that out yet?

Mithril, you have an excellent shot at McGill as IP and if I were you, I would consider also sending them your MCAT score even though you don't have to. You may have to email adcoms to fiscuss your summer courses, I expect that won't be a problem. And you have U/O, if you have done yet done their prerequisites, you can do them during your year of application or the summer before. GL!

First time poster here - would love to know what everyone thinks

undergrad 3.54 - didn't want to be a dr - focused on research/sports

M.Sc - thesis based 3.75 (Heart and Stroke Scholarship but no publications)

worked as a buisness consultant for a year to make money, then realized after a family member got sick that I wanted to do meds (was a lifesci initially)

- resigned - and volunteered full time at Sunnybrook doing research - 2 publications so far, with a 3rd in review

- now working at sunnybrook running a research lab, as well as volunteering..

extra circs - national team triathlon, varsity swimmer, runner, triathlon team coach

- volunteer - coached swimming, tutored math throughout undergrad, started a scout troop during grad.. still highly involved in scouts..

Wrote MCAT for the first time last year - 30 R (11/10/9) and then again this summer - 30R (9/10/11) and just rewrote it - waiting to hear back..

I got into University of Queensland last year, but turned them down because I want to stay in Canada.. do I have a chance?

Okay, so I just filled the academic record section on the OMSAS online application and this is what I got:

AwSNM.jpg

The link on the "How do I calculate my GPA" thread doesn't work: http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/omsas-answers.html

How are my chances looking now? I figured since I'm both a BC and Quebec resident I'd have a decent shot at both McGill and UBC.

Thanks. I did send them my MCAT score when I started my application a few days ago.

That is a quite reasonable GPA that will make you quite competitive in the grades section of the application at the Ontario schools you mention. You appear to be well above the cut off for Ottawa for instance (who actually will give you effectively a higher GPA as latter years are valued more than early ones and your worst year is your first). You appear to have reasonable ECs as well although with Ottawa it can be tricky as they have a subjective evaluation of those which is hard to gauge. I am not sure about your rural status which is a key contributer to NOSMS evaluation system but GPA wise you are good. :)

Last two years GPA: 3.9

wGPA (Ottawa): 3.86

aGPA (Manitoba): 4.15

cGPA: 3.62-3.65, somewhere thereabouts.

MCAT: 13/11/12 (36P)

List of schools I'm going to apply to:

Manitoba, Calgary, Western, Ottawa, Mac, Dal

Ontario resident, non-SWOMEN, not in the Ottawa region.

I'd appreciate any suggestions/comments on my choices. Is there anywhere that is a pipe dream and anywhere else I should add?

Hey guys,

OMSAS GPA: 3.87

UofT Weighted GPA: 3.92

Ottawa wGPA: 3.93

Manitoba aGPA: 4.18

MCAT: 9 VR, 12 PS, 13 BS, R - 34R

Applying to: BC, Calgary, Manitoba, Alberta, All in Ontario

USA: Pennsylvania, Rosalind Franklin, Columbia, Mt Sinai, SUNY Upstate, Dartmouth, GWU

ECs:

- Had 6 summer jobs (circuit board factory, HR/in-house training, gems photographer, underwriting, pharmaceutical investment company as summer intern)

- Volunteer at Sick Kids emergency department for over 1 year

- Homework club and conversation circle leader at Canadian Center for Victims of Torture

- Homework club volunteer at Frontier College briefly

- Heart and Stroke Foundation volunteer over the summer for 4 events

- Friendly visitor and dining enhancement volunteer at long-term care facility (did an oral history project with one of the residents)

- Event coordinator for campus Right to Play club

- Peer educator for Mental Health & Wellness on campus

- Undergraduate research assistant in physiology lab, worked on a mouse exercise project...Will be working on an honors thesis project this year

- Won entrance scholarship, yearly in-course scholarship/honors and UofT Scholar award

I'm mainly concerned about that dreaded Verbal score from my MCAT and I guess it may hold me back at some unis

Thanks!

How am I looking?

GPA: 3.82, double major physiology and english lit

MCAT: 13 VR, 12 BS, 14 PS, R Writing, 39R

Extracurrics: crisis line work, leadership roles, hospital volunteer experience with inpatients and outpatients (during high school). No research experience though.

LoRs: my hospital supervisor, an english professor, my crisis line supervisor.

Alberta resident.

Applying to Alberta, Calgary, the Ontarios except for Northern and McGill in case God loves me and I get a lucky hit.

Applying as a 3rd year and my confidence is low after I got my MCAT today...

cGPA: 3.88

MCAT: 12PS/10VR/Q/11BS (33Q)

In terms of ECs, I have almost nothing prior to university and over the last couple of years, I was on a couple committees, hospital volunteering, other clinical volunteering, "research studentships" over the summers (nothing self-directed, more of an assistant), member of a couple clubs, nothing spectacular

Just a little bit dejected I blew the WS cut-off for Queen's and the VR cut-off for Western. I'm tempted to re-write next year but I don't think I can even improve the Q, considering that I thought my essays were the best that I'd ever written. Anyway, I was really hoping to make the MCAT cut-offs for Queen's so I could have an interview this year, but what do you guys think my chances are for my fourth year?

Hey everyone,

I just got my MCATs back and am feeling nervous and just wanted to know what people think:

33O (10VR/12PS/11BS)

OMSAS GPA: 3.90

Applying to the 6 in ON and uCalgary.

I have bunch of extracurriculars, volunteering, NSERC etc.

How are my chances to land an interview?

Hey everyone,

I just got my MCATs back and am feeling nervous and just wanted to know what people think:

33O (10VR/12PS/11BS)

OMSAS GPA: 3.90

Applying to the 6 in ON and uCalgary.

I have bunch of extracurriculars, volunteering, NSERC etc.

How are my chances to land an interview?

You've probably got a great shot at Toronto and Ottawa. McMaster is also a good bet, but it depends largely on how you do on CASP.

Northern depends more on your background (where you have lived/worked) than your GPA, so I can't comment on that.

Western and Queen's are unfortunately almost definitely out because of your writing sample mark. I'm in the same boat, so I feel your pain. However, if you can afford to throw away the application fee, and feel like praying for a miracle, neither of them has a supplementary application, so you can still go for it.... (Queen's will be Q or R though and western will be P or Q).

As for Calgary, I don't feel like doing the math, but it seems likely that you would get a full file review. After that, it's anyone's guess, but GPA is a huge part of it and yours is awesome.

Does anyone know if there are any stats available on how many people meet the GPA cutoffs but are rejected pre-interview by Ottawa? I meet the GPA cutoffs (assuming they don't go up), but it seems like some people with great EC's don't even get an interview.

Also, worth applying to Mac with an 11 VR and 3.62? I guess I probably already know the answer: ace CASP and maaaaaaybe have a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone care to comment on this?

OMSAS GPA: 3.80 Ivy League Uni GPA: 3.86 best of two years: 3.91

MCAT (PS: 13, VR: 10, BS: 12, W: Q)

ECs: - pianist for over 10 years, provincial finalist, ARCT, performed internationally

- cancer benefit concert organizer (over $3000)

- a bunch of leadership roles both in hs and now (co-pres and vice chair for two organizations on campus right now)

- research for about 3 years (paper in progress, will be 2nd author)

- piano teacher for about 5 years

- accompanist 7 years

- volunteer work at hospitals (2 years) community (over 5 years)

- some other jobs, administrative assistant, customer rep.

- honour society (not too prestigious)

- queens uni. chancellor scholarship

shooting for ut seeing as how i probably didnt make the queens cutoff...but im worried that my gpa isnt up to par for u of t. should i try for ucal? i used their algorithm, didnt meet 450+ should i try anyways? also, i havent been doing 5 courses/year but i will meet the requirements for my degree and courses are challenging. my advisor sent a letter explaining the system at my school. any comments are much appreciated!