Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hi there!

I have been wanting to apply to medical school but, am a bit worried bc took 4 courses each semester at my university doing a biochemistry degrees in my 1st and 2nd year but, i took a full course load in my 3rd year and plan on taking 5 again in fourth year. But, bc of this I will probabley have to come back for a 5th year or at least an extra semester.

How bad is this when it comes to getting into medical school in canada? :confused:

Any help is appreciated.

Thanx!

Hi there!

I have been wanting to apply to medical school but, am a bit worried bc took 4 courses each semester at my university doing a biochemistry degrees in my 1st and 2nd year but, i took a full course load in my 3rd year and plan on taking 5 again in fourth year. But, bc of this I will probabley have to come back for a 5th year or at least an extra semester.

How bad is this when it comes to getting into medical school in canada? :confused:

Any help is appreciated.

Thanx!

Click here, for relevant information on the MCAT-requiring Ontario medical schools.

Just wanted to know what you think my chances are

live in Edmonton

doing general science degree - possibly doing double major biological and physical sciences

~3.85 GPA

MCAT 35 .. N but rewriting this summer

EC's - student group exec, volunteering

- just got rejected for UofA after interview, only in 3rd year though.

looking at my friends who got in - everyone does research!! How important is research? should I try to get some volunteering or something?

U of A tends to really like research, but while it is 'important' it is not necessary for acceptance. See the UofA acceptance thread.

live in Edmonton

doing general science degree - possibly doing double major biological and physical sciences

~3.85 GPA

looking at my friends who got in - everyone does research!! How important is research? should I try to get some volunteering or something?

live in Edmonton

~3.85 GPA

i will encourage you to try other schools - McGill, Western.. I had similar stats and got into McGill. My research experience limited to my undergrad thesis.

1st year-3.18

2nd year-3.7

3rd year. 3.8

4th year3.95

I have descent ECs: intramurals at UofT, executive at a position, habitat for humanity, 3 years at old age home, 50hours at hospital, 10hours a week at job +50hours a week in summer, 2 years summer research with pretty good LORs

Mcat 12/11/12 (BS/VR/PS) 35R

Am i competitive at UofT, Mac, ottawa, manitoba(i only took 4.5 courses because of a busy time with moving). I should have a good chance with Queens and UWO right?

two questions:

1) what is your MCAT writing score?

2) So you only had one year with 4.5 courses? Which year?

1st year-3.18

2nd year-3.7

3rd year. 3.8

4th year3.95

I have descent ECs: intramurals at UofT, executive at a position, habitat for humanity, 3 years at old age home, 50hours at hospital, 10hours a week at job +50hours a week in summer, 2 years summer research with pretty good LORs

Mcat 12/11/12 (BS/VR/PS)

Am i competitive at UofT, Mac, ottawa, manitoba(i only took 4.5 courses because of a busy time with moving). I should have a good chance with Queens and UWO right?

1st year-3.18

2nd year-3.7

3rd year. 3.8

4th year3.95

Mcat 12/11/12 (BS/VR/PS)

Your MCAT seems to be above average for Manitoba (assuming you did decent in writing as well). Also, Manitoba doesn't require a full course load - you just need to meet a few specific course requirements. Give Manitoba a shot.

Your MCAT seems to be above average for Manitoba (assuming you did decent in writing as well). Also, Manitoba doesn't require a full course load - you just need to meet a few specific course requirements. Give Manitoba a shot.

I also thought I had good scores for Manitoba, but they apparently did not think so. It was 2 years ago, but it still stings to this day...

Dear "estairella",

I have reviewed your file to determine what information was provided to the Admissions Committee regarding the decision not to grant an interview to you. We note your AGPA as 4.18 and MCAT average 13.25. This year many Out of Province applicants presented strong academic and non-academic achievements. The committee limited the number of Out of Province applicants granted interviews to fill the 10 Out of Province seats due to logistical constraints. Unfortunately you were not one of the applicants selected to proceed to interview.

I am sorry that this information is disappointing.

:rolleyes:

I also thought I had good scores for Manitoba, but they apparently did not think so. It was 2 years ago, but it still stings to this day...

:rolleyes:

Oh wow! That's a solid MCAT score. I just based it off the mean for the class of 2013, which was 11.72. Perhaps your ECs and LORs?

Oh wow! That's a solid MCAT score. I just based it off the mean for the class of 2013, which was 11.72. Perhaps your ECs and LORs?

At the end of the cycle I had 5 acceptances at Canadian schools, so I'm pretty confident in the strength of my application...

Manitoba is one of the few schools that incorporates your MCAT into their scores, so they were one of the few schools I had thought an interview would be a 'sure thing'. Oh well, guess I learned a lesson there! :P

you should get an interview at Queens and Western... no chance at UofT (unless first year was "extenuating circumstances" of some sort... maybe slight chance at Mac with amazing question answers... i don't think you have a chance at Ottawa (but I can't remember if they look at all 4 years, weighted, or recent 3, weighted)

1st year-3.18

2nd year-3.7

3rd year. 3.8

4th year3.95

Mcat 12/11/12 (BS/VR/PS) 35R

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, need some advice on which schools I should apply to this upcoming cycle.

Entering 4th year Alberta resident attending U of Calgary

OMSAS cGPA: 3.72

OMSAS best two years: 3.77

cGPA: 3.76

Year 1: 3.81

Year 2: 3.65

Year 3: 3.82

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/WS)

(11/10/12/S)= 33S

EC's: Numerous sports awards, scholarships, and nominations, volunteering with MS patients and elementary age children, played or playing on basketball and soccer teams (recreational and high school), kickboxing, avid weight-trainer and swimmer, executive of a U of C club since 2008, and currently working part time as a weight room monitor (CPR certified).

My main concern is whether to apply to schools outside of Alberta. I'm considering UBC and some Ontario schools like Queens and Western but I'm afraid I don't meet their OOP cutoff for VR which was an 11 this year.

Note: I applied as a 3rd year to U of A and U of C and interviewed at U of C. I was rejected outright and both schools marked my activities below average (I hadn't started my job, MS work, or kickboxing yet).

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Hi, need some advice on which schools I should apply to this upcoming cycle.

Entering 4th year Alberta resident attending U of Calgary

OMSAS cGPA: 3.72

OMSAS best two years: 3.77

cGPA: 3.76

Year 1: 3.81

Year 2: 3.65

Year 3: 3.82

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/WS)

(11/10/12/S)= 33S

EC's: Numerous sports awards, scholarships, and nominations, volunteering with MS patients and elementary age children, played or playing on basketball and soccer teams (recreational and high school), kickboxing, avid weight-trainer and swimmer, executive of a U of C club since 2008, and currently working part time as a weight room monitor (CPR certified).

My main concern is whether to apply to schools outside of Alberta. I'm considering UBC and some Ontario schools like Queens and Western but I'm afraid I don't meet their OOP cutoff for VR which was an 11 this year.

Note: I applied as a 3rd year to U of A and U of C and interviewed at U of C. I was rejected outright and both schools marked my activities below average (I hadn't started my job, MS work, or kickboxing yet).

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Your GPA is strong for in province. As far as out of province it is kind of a toss up to be honest. Most schools in Ontario seem to have the entrance averages ~3.9 with the OMSAS scale which for Alberta=all As pretty much. For OOP it is probably even more important to have as close to a 4.0 as possible - obviously it does not hurt to try but you may be flushing at least $285 down the toilet. Your VR for OOP is probably not high enough for Mac and a lot of the other schools seem to have fluctuating cut offs for the VR depending on the year/applicant pool. Your best bet is definitely for in province and it sounds like you have pretty strong ECs..however the adcom varies year to year and tends to be super harsh on marking this section (ex. average EC score for accepted UofA students this year was 8 something out of 20!) UBC generally seems to have very strange/mysterious marking of their NAQ (ECs) and they do not reveal their conversion tables for applicants with GPAs instead of percentages...although your GPA probably converts to >80% which is the minimum wGPA to apply with as OOP in order to have your entire file reviewed.

So my advice is to do really stellar apps for in province, and if you have money to spare it does not hurt to try UBC and a few of the Ontario universities but its definitely an uphill battle as an OOP for those. If you already got a U of C interview you will likely get it again...and U of A you will get interview as well with your MCAT/GPA stats. So your biggest hurdle will be your EC score and interview in my opinion as your other stats are solid...either way you are in a good position...it is much easier to pump up ECs/experience/interview skills than to recover from a really low GPA. Good luck.

Just wondering what ppl think of my chances...I'm an Alberta resident attending the U of A, going into my 4th year (undergrad) and plan to apply to the U of A and U of C this fall for entrance in the fall of 2011. I'm also a rural applicant.

GPA: Year 1 - 3.82

Year 2 - 3.84

Year 3 - 3.84

MCAT: 27S (but rewriting on July 29 - need to boost that score!)

ECs: -2 years of volunteering in the ER of a large hospital

-created/organized a charity basketball tournament which made nearly $2,000for the Canadian Cancer Society (and have organized same tournament for 4 yrs although not for charity prior to this year)

-various volunteer endeavors within faculty (ie. open house, mentorship program, etc.)

-1 year of orientation volunteering

-1 summer of coaching U12 soccer

-presentations at former high school

-various leadership initiatives in high school

Any thoughts/comments would be much appreciated!

did 4 years UG, going into 5th year. switched program half way, ontario resident, what do you think of my chances?

1st year (1st UG): 3.98

1st year (2nd UG): 3.87

2nd year (2nd UG): 3.88

3rd year (2nd UG): 3.82

cGPA (over all): 3.89

cGPA (2nd UG): 3.86

last 2 years: 3.86

best 2 years in 2nd UG (with best 5 courses): 3.91ish?

I only took 5 full courses in the very first year, and took 6+ courses each year in the 2nd UG

MCAT: 11/11/11 R

ECs: nothing special. some research, some volunteer, some clubs, some merit based scholarships...

future=gloomy?

did 4 years UG, going into 5th year. switched program half way, ontario resident, what do you think of my chances?

1st year (1st UG): 3.98

1st year (2nd UG): 3.87

2nd year (2nd UG): 3.88

3rd year (2nd UG): 3.82

cGPA (over all): 3.89

cGPA (2nd UG): 3.86

last 2 years: 3.86

best 2 years in 2nd UG (with best 5 courses): 3.91ish?

I only took 5 full courses in the very first year, and took 6+ courses each year in the 2nd UG

MCAT: 11/11/11 R

ECs: nothing special. some research, some volunteer, some clubs, some merit based scholarships...

future=gloomy?

You'll definately get interviews at Western and Queen's.

Amp up your essays and you should get one for Mac/U of T

May be a little difficult to get one at Ottawa since they rely a lot on their ABS, but you have a shot.

I'd say you are good to go for Ontario (not sure about OOP schools). Just work on your interview skills

good luck!

OMSAS cGPA: 3.86

I only finished 2 years UG, but dropped a half course in first year so I don't have a full load.

I'm writing the MCAT this August.

ECS: Not much, 2 years of research (1 poster), science journal team, 5 years hospital volunteering, some work with Canadian blood service, volleyball team.

Should I bother applying this year?