Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

• 1 month later...

IF these were my stats:

UBC : Human Kinetics UG

Year 1: 77%

Year 2: 73%

Year 3: 75%

Year 4: 85% (1st term - working towards the same now)

MCAT: rewriting in September - im going to ace it !

EC's:

- Clinical research (over 1 year) - current

- Residence Adviser (1 year) - current

(kind of unique as I implemented the program into the building - only 1 RA for 5 floors)

- Volunteering in ER (approximately 1 year)

- Volunteering at AIDS Residence (6 mo) - current

- Volunteering at Camp for medically sick Children (1 summer) - only offered in summer months

- Shadowing clinic/surgery (1 Summer) -- trying to get more now

- Traveling - want to do some this summer.

Okay, at this point.

I am so confused as to what to do with my life.

I have been toying with the following ideas:

1. Sept 2010 - take a fifth year as unclassified student

2. Applying for 2011 Nursing Undergraduate - still applying to Medical School - will hopefully be a good career to have if medical school doesn't work out for me

3. Take 2010 year off and travel, work, volunteer.

Any advice is helpful.

alrite.. here are my stats:

omsas GPA: 3.83

MCAT: 32Q (Verbal 10, Bio 11, Physics 11, Writing Q)

I thought anything above 3.75 and anything more than 10-10-10 was competitive. is it? or is the new cut off 3.90, 11-11-11 R???

:( what are my chances next year if i can maintain these numbers?

Undergrad Degree: B. Kin (Honours candidate)

GPA:

1st year: ~3.2 (transferred and can't really remember)

2nd: 3.4 Fall semester / 4.0 Winter Semester / 3.2 Spring Semester (opps :S)

3rd: 3.4 (opps again) Fall

* Expecting 4.0 this semster, spring semester, following fall and following winter (but I'll have to apply before receiving any grades from my 4th year) -- This will leave me with a cGPA ~3.7.

Research:

Honours research project

Work Exp: *How far back should I go for this?*

Harbour Supervisor's Assistant (June 07 - Aug 07)

Tutor (Eastern School District) (May 08 - July 08)

Archival Research Assistant (Faculty Of Medicine) (Sept 09 - Present)

Volunteering/Extra Currics: *Again, how far back should I go?*

Regional Summer Games Host Committee - July 05

Community Youth Network Family Fun Day - Aug 06

Regional Drama Festival Host Committee - March 07

Canadian CF Foundation (Shinerama) - Sept 09

Knitting Club - Jan 10 (if thats relevant :P)

** Nothing long term, looking to start. Suggestions?

MCAT: Writing in August.

I'm applying to MUN as IP, and applying whatever other schools I'll have a chance with.

Basically, I'd like to know where I stand and what I can do to improve my chances. I know that I have a lot of work to do... I expected to have an extra year, but I will be finishing my degree in 2011 as opposed to 2012. Help? :)

^^

Love your username!

1) Long term ECs are good as they demonstrate dedication and commitment.

2) Try to pull up your GPA. 3.7 is no longer considered safe, though people with 3.7 have received interviews this cycle, I believe.

3) Difficult to assess anything without your MCAT but try your best to get at least 11/11/11 R . Anything less may not be 'safe.'

^^

Love your username!

1) Long term ECs are good as they demonstrate dedication and commitment.

2) Try to pull up your GPA. 3.7 is no longer considered safe, though people with 3.7 have received interviews this cycle, I believe.

3) Difficult to assess anything without your MCAT but try your best to get at least 11/11/11 R . Anything less may not be 'safe.'

I'm hoping that a consistent 3.8-4.0 over the next few semesters will look good despite my few screwups along the way.

I just emailed the volunteer co-ordinator at the hospital and asked about potential opporunities in the palliative care unit or with the patient play program... So I guess that I'll cross my fingers for that! haha.

Thanks again!

alrite.. here are my stats:

omsas GPA: 3.83

MCAT: 32Q (Verbal 10, Bio 11, Physics 11, Writing Q)

I thought anything above 3.75 and anything more than 10-10-10 was competitive. is it? or is the new cut off 3.90, 11-11-11 R???

:( what are my chances next year if i can maintain these numbers?

Bump your writing up to an R, it's absolutely crucial. At least 3.85 for GPA too.

Bump your writing up to an R, it's absolutely crucial. At least 3.85 for GPA too.

I wouldnt rewrite the mcat just for the writing score.

Also if you are not from southern ON, you would not have made the western cutoff for 11 verbal this year (last year it was 10)

I find the optimal candidate:

1) long term volunteer activities

2) GPA 3.85-4.0

3) 11VR 11PS 11BI R+ (overall 32+ though)

4) some research exp

5) good writing (for application essays)/communication skills (for interview)

• 3 weeks later...

I have applied last year to almost all Canadian schools with not a single interview (expected due to low VR). I got accepted to a Carib school (SGU), but I might reject it and try again... should I?

Ontario resident

From UofT!!!!!!!

Yr1: 3.38

Yr2: 3.51

Yr3: 3.97

Yr4: ~3.65 (pending)

----

cGPA: ~3.58 ----> notice upward trend? (final two years are OK...)

1st MCAT: 9/7/9/O = 26O (SH*T)

2nd MCAT: Rewriting? (Hoping to meet cutoffs).

EC's: Nothing special (Blood services, medical clinic front desk + shadowing, pharmacy assistant, hospital labs shadowing, disability helper/note taker)..No research.

LORs: Not negative, but not stellar. (all my Profs are socially inept)

Should I waste another year or what? Please tell me honestly if I have a chance at any school.

I wouldnt rewrite the mcat just for the writing score.

Also if you are not from southern ON, you would not have made the western cutoff for 11 verbal this year (last year it was 10)

I find the optimal candidate:

1) long term volunteer activities

2) GPA 3.85-4.0

3) 11VR 11PS 11BI R+ (overall 32+ though)

4) some research exp

5) good writing (for application essays)/communication skills (for interview)

Is this optimal candidate for 4th year?

So 2nd/3rd is basically >3.9, with 12/12/12/12 S/T ?? ish?

So I've applied to most of the ontario schools and some out of province as well but after getting no interviews this year I'm not sure what to do now. I knew my stats were never stellar but they are pretty decent. My main dilema is whether to rewrite me mcat again since getting a 10 or higher is no guarantee so I'm not sure if I should risk it. Here are my stats though:

4th Yr. UG

OMSAS GPA: 3.74, UofT: approx. 3.9, best/recent 2 yrs: approx. 3.87

MCAT: 10/10/10/Q

ECs: residence don, club exec/prez 4 years, tutoring 4 yrs, other clubs 3-4 yrs, 4th yr thesis (poster), intramurals, hospital and nursing home volunteering, worked as a tutor from gr 10-2nd yr, summer language program in high school, scholarships, lots of high school awards and clubs/volunteering/teams, a few camps/conferences as well

Right now I'm planning to do my masters to gain some research expereince (never did it before because didn't have the time in the summers and never found anything I liked) and my 4th yr will likely go well too so my gpa will go up as well. I've written my mcat 3 times so far. I just missed out on the Queens and UWO cutoffs and I want to rewrite but many US school frown upon writing so many times and if I don't do well then I basically have no shot here or in the states. So what do people think, I could really use some opinions and advice?

So I've applied to most of the ontario schools and some out of province as well but after getting no interviews this year I'm not sure what to do now. I knew my stats were never stellar but they are pretty decent. My main dilema is whether to rewrite me mcat again since getting a 10 or higher is no guarantee so I'm not sure if I should risk it. Here are my stats though:

4th Yr. UG

OMSAS GPA: 3.74, UofT: approx. 3.9, best/recent 2 yrs: approx. 3.87

MCAT: 10/10/10/Q

ECs: residence don, club exec/prez 4 years, tutoring 4 yrs, other clubs 3-4 yrs, 4th yr thesis (poster), intramurals, hospital and nursing home volunteering, worked as a tutor from gr 10-2nd yr, summer language program in high school, scholarships, lots of high school awards and clubs/volunteering/teams, a few camps/conferences as well

Right now I'm planning to do my masters to gain some research expereince (never did it before because didn't have the time in the summers and never found anything I liked) and my 4th yr will likely go well too so my gpa will go up as well. I've written my mcat 3 times so far. I just missed out on the Queens and UWO cutoffs and I want to rewrite but many US school frown upon writing so many times and if I don't do well then I basically have no shot here or in the states. So what do people think, I could really use some opinions and advice?

Your gpa doesnt seem strong enough to get interviews at schools like ottawa or mac, and you mcat doesnt seem strong enough to get interviews at western and queens. You may either try to do another year of undergrad to improve that GPA and redo MCAT OR try to redo MCAT and starts a grad degree (may compensate for the lower UG gpa). You have two option to go about it to broaden your chances at the ontario schools. As an OOP applicant you need a strong GPA and MCAT. Otherwise, your ECs look great.

btw, high school awards/clubs dont count, it has to be stuff you have been doing in undergrad/after age of 16, unless the award received in high school is significant

ok im currently in grade 12 and i wana go into the med field, and it just hit me recently to switch from engineering to med so i was wondering exactly wat are the things i should do before applying for med school im living in edmonton alberta and i havent taken bio (since i was switching from engineering to medical) are there any tips of where i should volunteer and and the amout of hours to study in uni to get atleast 3.8 gpa+, and any books to read or look at and how to prepare myself for the interview and mcat ( if i get that far)

Well, all roads can lead to med so long as you have a competiitve GPA. Therefore, take courses that interest you (you willlikely do better when motivated and interested), med schools don't care where you take your UG, so don't select the most prestigious university where a high GPA is difficlt to attain, and have a Plan B in case you don't make med, it is so very competitive and all who are qualified don't make it. You need a strong work ethic and to hit the ground running when entering UG. By that I mean the transition from h.s. can be brutal and you need to prioritize your activities, making studies No.1, keeping up with assignments and don't become involed in ECs until you are comfortable with your grades. If you have good study habits, if you consider your studies your fulltime job, have good stress and time management skills, you will be fine. I recommend a small no-name university where classes are smaller and you can get to know your profs.

As regards volunteering, follow your interests, soup kitchen, foodbank, the disabled, hospital - anywhere you can develop and show compassion and ideally, you want some exposure to patients other than delivering TVs to their room (which, haha, I started out doing). Some hospitals have recreational programs for patients where you get to know them, relieve their stress level and it can be fun and interesting. You need to show some degree of longevity and dedication, although helping out in short term activitiesis fine. I found people who needed some help at home, e.g., a lady in a whellchair for whom I did chores, another who IK kept company and we chatted and she showed me family photos, so you do not need 'organized' activities and it is not necessary to join clubs in an executive position to show leadership and initiative. Good luck! Don't worry about interview or MCAT at this point, just enjoy your UG.