Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

OMSAS cGPA: 3.83

I only finished 2 years UG, but dropped a half course in first year so I don't have a full load.

I'm writing the MCAT this August.

ECS: Not much, 2 years of research (1 poster), science journal team, 5 years hospital volunteering, some work with Canadian blood service, volleyball team.

Should I bother applying this year?

Honestly, I think you have a shot...but not this year. Your GPA is still competitive as it's above 3.8. Some schools, like Queens require you to be a full-time student (3 courses per semester for Queens I believe) not full courseload, so for those you should be okay. Your EC's sound good, especially the long term research and hospital volunteering. Quality over quantity! If you get a solid MCAT (aim for around 11/11/11R so you meet all the different cutoffs at schools like UWO and Queens) you should be fine.

On that note I don't think you'll get very far applying as a 3rd year applicant, since to get an interview as this type of applicant you need a stellar GPA/EC's/MCAT. You're competing with students that have the advantage, as being a 3rd year applicant is not advantageous, so your stats need to be above and beyond the average to even compete!

So I would wait until next year and use this time to strengthen your application by adding maybe some more EC's, getting a solid 3rd year GPA (with full course load if you can so you have 2 full course load years and can apply to UWO!), etc. You can always apply this year just as a dry run to see how OMSAS works and still apply but I don't really see you getting a ton of interviews/acceptances with these stats. However, if you can keep up/raise the GPA and do well on the MCAT I definitely see you getting lots of interviews next year!

GL!

So... I hate to do this because I normally do my own research on these things, but I have been busy lately and simple info on med school applications seems hard to come by. Anyone want to let me know if med school is something I could seriously consider pursuing (i.e. without having to be a long shot for admission multiple years in a row?)

cgpa: 3.73

year 1: 3.89

year 2: 3.38

year 3: 3.70

year 4: 3.93

ECs: two work study research positions in ecology/ drosophila lab. one full time summer research position - as well as various other volunteer work on lab projects in the faculty. administered educational outreach program for elementary school students. Couple of scholarships. Four seasons of tree planting. two months of development work in Nicaragua. Bit of volunteering with the elderly. Other odds and ends but nothing important

problems:

#1: missing prereqs - I'll end up with a BSc but for various reasons I missed alot of 100/200 level science credits - most of the science portion of my degree is in biological psychology (neuroscience) and ecology... missing chem, physics, organic chem, biochem etc...

#2: On my 3rd university. This is not as weird as it seems as I attended the first school only with the intention of participating in their first year program. I transfered again after that for personal reasons (University of Kings college/ Mcgill / U of T)

#3: Have only taken 4 or 4.5 courses in my my last 2 years. Never occured that this would be an issue as since I was staying in the city during the summer I just figured I would spread the load out so I had a bit more balance and time for work/ ECs. Marks weren't really affected from year 1 when I took 5.

So what do you guys think. Is this worth pursuing? I have always dreamed of studying medicine, but I have lots of other passions as well. Can anyone give me a realistic assessment of what it would take to get in? Browsing the forum kind of convinced me it might not be possible. I perform generally very well on standardized tests so I think I could do well on the MCAT (I'm well into the 99th on the LSAT)

I would be really grateful for any advice or considerations anyone could provide

Thanks!

your EC's are good, and your GPA of your last two years is good as well, but the problem is the fact that you didn't take full course load. Queen's is still a definite option though. You'd just need a good essay score and balanced sections. Another problem is like you said you're missing prereq's.

Hey guys,

So here's my scoop. I'm from Yellowknife, NT and go to university at the University of Alberta. I just finished my 3rd year and am writing my MCAT on August 5th. Which schools should I apply to? Due to being from Yellowknife, I am IP for UBC, UofC, UofA and UofS.

GPA 1st year: 3.54

GPA 2nd year: 3.94

GPA 3rd year: 4.00

WORK EXP:

Summer of 09 (may-aug) I working in diagnostic imaging and the blood and pathology lab at the hospital in Yellowknife. I learnt everything from phlebotomy to blood tests.

Summer 08 (may-aug) I worked with the NWT council of peoples with disabilities. I worked with children with various disabilities and incorporated them into other activities by other camps.

And then before then i worked at like walmart, extra foods, pizza hut, panago, the legislative assembly, etc.

VOLUNTEER:

-Since september 09 I've been a campus ambassador at the university

-Since september 09 I've been a campus mentor for future students

-Since september 09 i've been working with the MS society of canada with their friendly visitor project.

-In august 09 I went to Belize, Central America, for a medical humanitarian trip to aid the suffering who couldn't afford proper health care.

-In july and august 09 I volunteered at the old folks home in yellowknife

-In July 09 I volunteered with the International Congress on Circumpolar Health.

-In both July 08 and 09 I volunteered with the local music festival in Yellowknife, the biggest festival there is up there

-In May-June 08 and 09 I volunteered as a math aid for my old high school teacher doing marking of students work

-In April-August 09 I coheaded a petition to return our scholarships that the government took away after that year. It was quite a rally with news crew and everything

-Sept - Dec 08 I volunteered with the specialized support and disabilities service, taking notes for a student in math 214.

-June - Aug 08 I volunteered in the salvation army soup kitchen.

-Sept 07 - April 08 I volunteered with the AUGUSTANA SADD

-Oct 07 I volunteered in a leadership walk for Burma to the mayors house

Awards:

-Received honour roll standing for grades 9-12

-University of Alberta Academic Excellence Scholarship, 2007/2008

-University of Alberta, Augustana Campus Academic Excellence Entrance Scholarship, 2007/2008

-Student Financial Assistance Academic Scholarship, 2007/2008

-St. Johns Ambulance certification in standard first aid and CPR C 2008

-Deans List, University of Alberta 2007/2008 - 2008/2009 - 2009/2010

-Golden Key International Honours Society for superior academic excellence. 2008

-University of Alberta Undergraduate Scholarship for superior academic

achievement, 2008/2009

-University of Alberta Undergraduate Scholarship for superior academic

achievement, 2009/2010

Basically what I'm asking is:

What schools should I apply for? Should I just apply to the four that I'm IP for? Or should i apply broadly to like NOSM (they take rural people from the north --> Yellowknife) or McMaster, Or manitoba or dal?

Thanks guys!

Hi everyone,

Looking for some input.

I'm a graduate student starting my second year of a MSc. Did my undergrad and grad schooling in Calgary (so Alberta IP).

GPA 1st year: 3.18 (bahhh)

GPA 2nd year: 3.16 (bahh again)

GPA 3rd year: 3.62 (dean's list)

GPA 4th year: 3.87 (dean's list).

Majored in microbiology, minored in psychology.

Grad GPA: 4.0

MSc in clinical microbiology.

Work Exp:

2 summers working in a research lab.

1 year working as a tutor.

Started my own tutoring business about 6 months ago.

PR MCAT bio instructor for one summer -- 3 courses.

Volunteering:

-3 years as volunteer coordinator national science outreach program.

-5 years as hospital ER volunteer (over 500 hours).

-Numerous overnight/weekend trips to aboriginal reserves to do science outreach.

-Undergrad TA volunteer

-On graduate students council

-1 year for students for literacy

-6 months with canadian blood services

-6 months with MS foundation.

-Other one time events here and there.

Awards:

-Several entrance awards in undergrad

-Jason Lang (two times).

-Several national graduate awards (CIHR level of awards).

-Several undergrad research awards at both provincial and national level.

-Dean's list in undergrad

-Provincial award for citizenship

-Essay award for citizenship

-Other less impactful ones.

Publications:

-3 papers, (3rd author)

-1 first author paper submitted, another before finishing MSc.

-4 abstracts, 1 first author.

Conferences/abstracts:

-Several conferences attended with poster presentations; both national and international.

MCAT:

35S. (13 bio/10PS/12 Verbal).

Basically, do I stand any chance? It's getting time for applications and it's nerve wracking to apply with zero to no chance. I'm worried my undergrad GPA is going to bring me down. I'm thinking of applying to Alberta, Calgary, Manitoba, Toronto, and Queens.

Any opinions? Brutal honesty would be great, even if it's bad news!!

Academic Info:

So I just got my MCAT mark, I wrote on May 22nd 2010:

PS 14

VR 11

BS 14

WS T

so thats a 39T

GPA by year, with the number of courses for the year (for weighting purposes)

1st: 3.77 with 11 classes

2nd: 3.89 with 9 classes

3rd: 3.97 with 12 classes

/edit/ I forgot to mention this is at uOttawa in Chemical Engineering /edit/

that makes a cumulative of... 3.88? and a uottawa WGPA of 3.91?

I'm not so concerned with my academics really, I feel like I make most of the relevant cut offs, even if I'm not the best applicant they've seen... its more my ECs that worry me... Although I am currently taking 3 summer courses... anyone care to enlighten me on how these could effect me?

I'm wondering if I happen to have the right balance of academics and ECs... because next year is 13 classes for me... so no more ECs if I don't get in this year...

Volunteering based ECs:

I volunteered with an HIV related organization for 3 years, co-founding a program that addresses both Health and Environmental issues

- all of the initial prep, proposal, planning etc

- went to mexico city for the international aids conference

- went to south africa and lived in a rural community for a month, doing a large number of projects such as workshops, peer education networking, started a community garden etc.

random volunteering as a tutor to peers in university

art camp volunteering (one summer)

volunteering at a conference called ideacity every year for the past 3

random volunteering for local churches and the like... nothing major

Other ECs:

lots of awards in highschool... not like it matters much haha

- euclid math competition

- top mark in: bio, phys, all three maths, english, exercise science etc.

- governor generals medal

- blah blah blah other random crap

admissions scholarships

- 4k a year from school

- 1k first year from faculty of engineering

- a few random merit scholarships, usually about 500

NSERC USRA (for right now, the whole summer)

I dont know if I will be able to get a paper out of it... and the supervisor's english is terrible so I won't really want a letter of recommendation...

Other things:

I'm from Northern Ontario, a town called Haileybury with population <<<20 000 people

I studied chemical engineering *shrug*

for letters of recommendation I was thinking a prof that I am close to, a doctor that is a family friend (went to medschool with my father) and is the chief of anesthesiology, and a priest (I'm atheist now, but was raised religious, and I help around the church still when I can).

In terms of where I want to go, I'm not too picky... and I have the finances for most places (outside the Caribbeans... but honestly I wouldn't want to study there). Last year I only applied to uottawa (no mcat, and starting third year at the time...) I got past the academic cutoffs, but didn't get an interview.

For what its worth, if I don't get in this time, I might just end up in engineering.

So here's the (in)famous question: What are my chances?

So... I hate to do this because I normally do my own research on these things, but I have been busy lately and simple info on med school applications seems hard to come by. Anyone want to let me know if med school is something I could seriously consider pursuing (i.e. without having to be a long shot for admission multiple years in a row?)

cgpa: 3.73

year 1: 3.89

year 2: 3.38

year 3: 3.70

year 4: 3.93

ECs: two work study research positions in ecology/ drosophila lab. one full time summer research position - as well as various other volunteer work on lab projects in the faculty. administered educational outreach program for elementary school students. Couple of scholarships. Four seasons of tree planting. two months of development work in Nicaragua. Bit of volunteering with the elderly. Other odds and ends but nothing important

problems:

#1: missing prereqs - I'll end up with a BSc but for various reasons I missed alot of 100/200 level science credits - most of the science portion of my degree is in biological psychology (neuroscience) and ecology... missing chem, physics, organic chem, biochem etc...

#2: On my 3rd university. This is not as weird as it seems as I attended the first school only with the intention of participating in their first year program. I transfered again after that for personal reasons (University of Kings college/ Mcgill / U of T)

#3: Have only taken 4 or 4.5 courses in my my last 2 years. Never occured that this would be an issue as since I was staying in the city during the summer I just figured I would spread the load out so I had a bit more balance and time for work/ ECs. Marks weren't really affected from year 1 when I took 5.

So what do you guys think. Is this worth pursuing? I have always dreamed of studying medicine, but I have lots of other passions as well. Can anyone give me a realistic assessment of what it would take to get in? Browsing the forum kind of convinced me it might not be possible. I perform generally very well on standardized tests so I think I could do well on the MCAT (I'm well into the 99th on the LSAT)

I would be really grateful for any advice or considerations anyone could provide

Thanks!

if you get a good MCAT why not, depending on the different weightings and formulas for different schools, your GPA goes from great to meh to good *shrug* For example, for uOttawa, they use a wGPA that would give you 3.76, which wouldn't be good enough, but some schools take last two, best two, all years, years minus bad courses if full time blah blah... so on gpa you have a shot in a lot of places, especially in your own province or region. Are you from an underserviced region? that affects applications too...

As for the high LSAT that (according to some people) correlates to a better VR section on the MCAT, which would help with schools like McMaster... but you dont have the score yet... and the lack of pre-reqs might would make the other sections a bit of a battle... Not all schools require the pre-reqs, and not all require the mcat, but usually they will require one or the other...

best of luck, and keep volunteering in what you care about! don't just end up shadowing and doing soup kitchen's like 95% of people on here who treat volunteering as a box on their todo list that needs a checkmark!

Academic Info:

PS 14

VR 11

BS 14

WS T

so thats a 39T

I'm not so concerned with my academics really, I feel like I make most of the relevant cut offs, even if I'm not the best applicant they've seen... its more my ECs that worry me... Although I am currently taking 3 summer courses... anyone care to enlighten me on how these could effect me?

I'm wondering if I happen to have the right balance of academics and ECs... because next year is 13 classes for me... so no more ECs if I don't get in this year...

Volunteering based ECs:

I volunteered with an HIV related organization for 3 years, co-founding a program that addresses both Health and Environmental issues

- went to south africa and lived in a rural community for a month, doing a large number of projects such as workshops, peer education networking, started a community garden etc.

Other ECs:

admissions scholarships

- 4k a year from school

I dont know if I will be able to get a paper out of it... and the supervisor's english is terrible so I won't really want a letter of recommendation...

Other things:

I'm from Northern Ontario, a town called Haileybury with population <<<20 000 people

for letters of recommendation I was thinking a prof that I am close to, a doctor that is a family friend (went to medschool with my father) and is the chief of anesthesiology, and a priest (I'm atheist now, but was raised religious, and I help around the church still when I can).

In terms of where I want to go, I'm not too picky... and I have the finances for most places (outside the Caribbeans... but honestly I wouldn't want to study there). Last year I only applied to uottawa (no mcat, and starting third year at the time...) I got past the academic cutoffs, but didn't get an interview.

For what its worth, if I don't get in this time, I might just end up in engineering.

I would apply to many schools with those stats since you will most definitely get at the very least a few interviews.

Academic Info:

PS 14

VR 11

BS 14

WS T

so thats a 39T

Volunteering based ECs:

Other ECs:

admissions scholarships

- 4k a year from school

Other things:

beware of using a priest as a LOR... Otherwise... great MCAT :P

beware of using a priest as a LOR... Otherwise... great MCAT :P

well, I was hoping that they would serve as a good character reference... I can't really think of anyone else that is considered 'respectable' with regards to honesty, and yet has an opinion of my character outside of academics... thoughts?

I could get someone from the charity, but the president is pretty young... like... 23 ish? and I know him as a friend... I don't consider that to be a very good choice.

as an aside, thanks for the compliment on the MCAT, it really made my day/week/month/summer when i saw the mark, I was expecting far worse

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Looking for some input.

I'm a graduate student starting my second year of a MSc. Did my undergrad and grad schooling in Calgary (so Alberta IP).

GPA 1st year: 3.18 (bahhh)

GPA 2nd year: 3.16 (bahh again)

GPA 3rd year: 3.62 (dean's list)

GPA 4th year: 3.87 (dean's list).

Majored in microbiology, minored in psychology.

Grad GPA: 4.0

MSc in clinical microbiology.

Work Exp:

2 summers working in a research lab.

1 year working as a tutor.

Started my own tutoring business about 6 months ago.

PR MCAT bio instructor for one summer -- 3 courses.

Volunteering:

-3 years as volunteer coordinator national science outreach program.

-5 years as hospital ER volunteer (over 500 hours).

-Numerous overnight/weekend trips to aboriginal reserves to do science outreach.

-Undergrad TA volunteer

-On graduate students council

-1 year for students for literacy

-6 months with canadian blood services

-6 months with MS foundation.

-Other one time events here and there.

Awards:

-Several entrance awards in undergrad

-Jason Lang (two times).

-Several national graduate awards (CIHR level of awards).

-Several undergrad research awards at both provincial and national level.

-Dean's list in undergrad

-Provincial award for citizenship

-Essay award for citizenship

-Other less impactful ones.

Publications:

-3 papers, (3rd author)

-1 first author paper submitted, another before finishing MSc.

-4 abstracts, 1 first author.

Conferences/abstracts:

-Several conferences attended with poster presentations; both national and international.

MCAT:

35S. (13 bio/10PS/12 Verbal).

Basically, do I stand any chance? It's getting time for applications and it's nerve wracking to apply with zero to no chance. I'm worried my undergrad GPA is going to bring me down. I'm thinking of applying to Alberta, Calgary, Manitoba, Toronto, and Queens.

Any opinions? Brutal honesty would be great, even if it's bad news!!

You have a good chance at getting into medical school in my opinion. Calgary , Alberta, and Queens im pretty sure you will receive an interview to.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm going into my 3rd year of health sci @ western and just wanted input on my chances of getting into ontario schools... my first two year averages were br00tal (yr 1=70, yr2=70). course load this year should be much easier and hopefully gpa the next 2 years should be around 3.8's... in terms of ec's i do bjj/mma, shadowing the surgical transplant team at lhsc, volunteer research since year one and hopefully continuing all that this year.

thoughts?

So I'm going into my 3rd year of health sci @ western and just wanted input on my chances of getting into ontario schools... my first two year averages were br00tal (yr 1=70, yr2=70). course load this year should be much easier and hopefully gpa the next 2 years should be around 3.8's... in terms of ec's i do bjj/mma, shadowing the surgical transplant team at lhsc, volunteer research since year one and hopefully continuing all that this year.

thoughts?

Depends massively on your next 2 years GPA, for the 2 year schools, and you need to do well on the MCAT, since these schools generally have higher cutoffs. If you can get that 3.8 both years, and ace the MCAT, you'd be guaranteed interviews at UWO and Queens at least. For your EC's, it really depends on how well you interview. If you get 3.9's you might be able to add Ottawa to the 'guaranteed interview' list, they usually interview 3.85 weighted over 3 years.

Also I sent you a PM.

So I'm starting 3rd year undergrad this year and I'm not sure if I should apply at all this cycle and where I should apply, thoughts?

Academics:

1st year: 3.94

2nd year: 3.74

Program: MedSci at UWO

Canadian citizen, BC resident

MCAT: writing it next week but my best so far on an AAMC practice one is 36S (ps-11,vr-11, bs-14)

EC's: 2 summers in the lab (apparently publications coming out soon, but not in time for the app due date) + a tiny bit of shadowing/watching procedures, lots of leadership in clubs, intramurals, 2 years volunteering at an elementary school, hospital volunteering in high school.

MAC? Applying this year is an excellent idea if for no other reason than to go through the learning curve of completing the application. You may get an interview and gain further experience even if not accepted and this too will be put you in good stead. So, I vote YES apply. GL! One person in tyhis forum did this for these reasons and presto, is now a med student!

So I'm starting 3rd year undergrad this year and I'm not sure if I should apply at all this cycle and where I should apply, thoughts?

Academics:

1st year: 3.94

2nd year: 3.74

Program: MedSci at UWO

Canadian citizen, BC resident

MCAT: writing it next week but my best so far on an AAMC practice one is 36S (ps-11,vr-11, bs-14)

EC's: 2 summers in the lab (apparently publications coming out soon, but not in time for the app due date) + a tiny bit of shadowing/watching procedures, lots of leadership in clubs, intramurals, 2 years volunteering at an elementary school, hospital volunteering in high school.

If you have the pre-reqs by the end of your third year you could apply to UBC with a decent chance.

Hi

So I'm starting my third year at Western going into Honours Physiology.

My First Year GPA: 3.84

Summer Physics Course: 3.9

My Second Year GPA: 3.86

MCAT: - writing it in a week, looking to be about 10, 10, 10 and Q? maybe higher?

I am a Canadian Citizen and a resident in Toronto.

EC: Shadowing a surgeon for a year, volunteering at a hospital for 2 years, shadowing a physiotherapist last summer, and got an NSERC award this year, with a publication hopefully submitted before Oct 1st. I also have a bunch of awards from highschool, but I heard you can't use those?

My only concern is I don't really have a long term commitment in my volunteering/activities because of moving cities. I was hoping my 2 years on the Varsity football team would help? Will it?

What are my chances and where should I apply? I have all the pre-reqs for UBC and all the schools out west, but what are my chances? Should I bother applying out there?

Any responses would be appreciated.

Starting 4th year Biology @ UNB

MCAT: 11/9/12/S (9 in VR)

EC: summer NSERC (no pubs), teaching assistant, honours thesis, nominated to several provincial teams for my sport, won a medal at the Canada Games, various other medals at regional competitions. some volunteer work in high school and early undergrad (none health related) fundraiser coordinating in first year (helped my residence house raise $32 thousand in 7 weeks), various experiences coaching young kids and adults in hockey and rowing.

Applying to: Queens, UWO, Toronto, Macmaster. Perhaps Ottawa if I can fit in the last prereq. Last resort: Dalhousie-NB

Starting 4th year Biology @ UNB

MCAT: 11/9/12/S (9 in VR)

EC: summer NSERC (no pubs), teaching assistant, honours thesis, nominated to several provincial teams for my sport, won a medal at the Canada Games, various other medals at regional competitions. some volunteer work in high school and early undergrad (none health related) fundraiser coordinating in first year (helped my residence house raise $32 thousand in 7 weeks), various experiences coaching young kids and adults in hockey and rowing.

Applying to: Queens, UWO, Toronto, Macmaster. Perhaps Ottawa if I can fit in the last prereq. Last resort: Dalhousie-NB

- no chance (barring a semi-miracle) at UWO or Queens

- decent chance at UofT (assuming your weighted GPA is higher... if not, still a chance, but somewhat slimmer)... your experiences seem to be pretty good for UofT - so write a good essay

- pretty slim chance at Mac, but i guess you have an outside shot with an exceptional CASper (and MMI)

- for Ottawa, depends if your marks are better in more recent years... if you wGPA for Ottawa >3.85, you have a shot

- don't know much about Dalhousie, but i think your mcat meets their cutoffs

- decent chance at UofT (assuming your weighted GPA is higher... if not, still a chance, but somewhat slimmer)... your experiences seem to be pretty good for UofT - so write a good essay

Toronto GPA would be 3.90. Would that be in the mix?