Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

I didn't mean to be arrogant/boastful. I've just been bombarded with horror stories lately and so I needed some reinforcement. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.

I was just kidding!

I have similar stats (except mcat which I bombed terribly), and I know how much effort a person has to exert to achieve it.

I was just kidding!

I have similar stats (except mcat which I bombed terribly), and I know how much effort a person has to exert to achieve it.

Oh ok cool lol. Congrats on the good stats--you're right, it takes alot of hard work.

Did you take a commercial prep course for the mcat? Another alternative is that on Student Doctor Network Forum (an american site), alot of the students have online study goups with study plans and lists of books to buy (along with which problems to do and chapters to read). A couple of my friends did this, and they did amazing on the MCAT

Oh ok cool lol. Congrats on the good stats--you're right, it takes alot of hard work.

Did you take a commercial prep course for the mcat? Another alternative is that on Student Doctor Network Forum (an american site), alot of the students have online study goups with study plans and lists of books to buy (along with which problems to do and chapters to read). A couple of my friends did this, and they did amazing on the MCAT

I think the problem lies in the fact that I've procrastinated in studying for mcat and just read over the kaplan book once (almost like speed reading.).

Thanks for the advice! Appreciate it :D

• 1 month later...

Hi pre-med forum members,

I'm a 4th year Toronto student who's lost hope in applying for medical school because I just don't think I have a chance of getting in right now, but every time I decide to "give up" something happens that makes me reconsider and keep trying. I did not apply this year and right now I don't know whether I should 1) graduate this year and either work or do some postgraduate or 2) take a 5th year to boost my GPA and undergrad research and then apply to med school.

These are my stats, with annual GPA listed first then comma (,) best 4/5 credits for the year:

1st year: 3.31, 3.56

2nd year: 3.53, 3.66 ------(((not including 3.0 in 1-credit summer course)))

3rd year: 3.74, 3.875

4th year: 3.75, 3.9 (guestimating)

Cumulative GPA: 3.5925, 3.75

Best 2 years: 3.75-ish (if count 3rd and 4th year)

I have taken biology and psychology courses at UofT along with the basic life science courses except that I don't have physics, organic chemistry nor biochemistry, or English - so if I take a 5th year I may consider taking some of these to have more places that I can apply to. I always had at least 4 or more credits per year corresponding to my year of study (ex. 4/5 3rd year credits in 3rd year, 4.5/5 4th year credits in 4th year). I think I am okay for extra-curriculars/volunteering. For research experience I am doing a 4th year research project, however I do not have any scholarships/no NSERC etc. to buff it up.

Also - I am worried that I won't do well on the MCAT because I am missing physics and organic chem but if my other stats have a shot then I will study away my summer for the MCAT and hopefully do well on it in the summer. What kind of MCAT scores would I need to go along with my kind of GPA?

Do you think I have a chance, and if so which schools? What do you recommend doing next year - graduate vs. 5th year, postgrad, work? And do you have any advice to help improve my chances at med school?

If you can, calculate your wGPA for UofT and wGPA for Ottawa (both of which do not include summer courses).

Your meet cutoffs for UWO, Queens, Dal. You don't have the prereqs for Ottawa, Alberta, Calgary, UBC, Memorial. Look into taking those.

Depending on your MCAT VR, you might have a chance at Mac.

Basically, you need to do well on the MCAT (10/11/11 R should be fine), and I need more information to assess your chances at UofT/Ottawa.

Thanks for the quick reply!

wGPA for UofT would be 3.75ish but my cGPA is 3.5925 - they say their cut-off is 3.6 so would that be the cGPA or wGPA cut-off? And would the 3.5925 then round down to 3.59 or up to 3.6 for the cut-off? Or is it too low anyways?

wGPA for Ottawa - 3.73ish

so I think I am too low for their cut-offs?

Thanks for the quick reply!

wGPA for UofT would be 3.75ish but my cGPA is 3.5925 - they say their cut-off is 3.6 so would that be the cGPA or wGPA cut-off? And would the 3.5925 then round down to 3.59 or up to 3.6 for the cut-off? Or is it too low anyways?

wGPA for Ottawa - 3.73ish

so I think I am too low for their cut-offs?

Yeah, no shot at Ottawa (unless you're from Ottawa or you can apply to the French stream).

That wGPA is on the lower side for UofT, but you may still have a shot (they say a wGPA above 3.8 is competitive). Once you qualify for wGPA, your cGPa is irrelevant.

Yeah, no shot at Ottawa (unless you're from Ottawa or you can apply to the French stream).

That wGPA is on the lower side for UofT, but you may still have a shot (they say a wGPA above 3.8 is competitive). Once you qualify for wGPA, your cGPa is irrelevant.

So is the 3.6 cut-off for wGPA or cGPA do you know? I'm a bit confused by that. Unfortuneately I've lived in Toronto forever so I don't have anywhere that I can apply to and get a regional advantage.

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding my chances for med school, and how I should prepare for the application.

I'm currently at 3rd year student studying Engineering Science at University of Toronto. I'm majoring in Financial Engineering, which is... very different from med school. I was wondering what sort of effect this would have on my application?

I have yet to satisfy all the prerequisite courses needed for some of the schools, I'm planning on taking them this summer. Currently, I have only taken a Systems Biology course (there are very few life science/biology courses in engineering science). Is it recommended to take the prereq courses at UofT, where I'm studying, or to do some sort of correspondence course at another university? I don't have much of an understanding of correspondence courses, just that they exist. If someone has more information/recommendations, that would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't taken MCATs either, I'm planning on studying for them this summer. I have a CGPA of 3.95 out of 4.

Any tips/recommendations would be very helpful. Please let me know if more information is needed. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding my chances for med school, and how I should prepare for the application.

I'm currently at 3rd year student studying Engineering Science at University of Toronto. I'm majoring in Financial Engineering, which is... very different from med school. I was wondering what sort of effect this would have on my application?

I have yet to satisfy all the prerequisite courses needed for some of the schools, I'm planning on taking them this summer. Currently, I have only taken a Systems Biology course (there are very few life science/biology courses in engineering science). Is it recommended to take the prereq courses at UofT, where I'm studying, or to do some sort of correspondence course at another university? I don't have much of an understanding of correspondence courses, just that they exist. If someone has more information/recommendations, that would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't taken MCATs either, I'm planning on studying for them this summer. I have a CGPA of 3.95 out of 4.

Any tips/recommendations would be very helpful. Please let me know if more information is needed. Thanks in advance!

Your GPA is great. No worries about your program choice, it's irrelevant. If anything, it may even benefit your statement/interview. As long as you can meet the cutoffs on the MCAT, you have the required background.

You can take the prereqs anywhere you want, though you'd likely save money if you are able to use it towards your degree requirements. Good options for correspondence are Athabasca and UWaterloo DE.

Your GPA is great. No worries about your program choice, it's irrelevant. If anything, it may even benefit your statement/interview. As long as you can meet the cutoffs on the MCAT, you have the required background.

You can take the prereqs anywhere you want, though you'd likely save money if you are able to use it towards your degree requirements. Good options for correspondence are Athabasca and UWaterloo DE.

Thanks for your help! Would you recommend any courses for me to take that would benefit studying for MCATs? (killing two birds with one stone, so to speak)

Thanks for your help! Would you recommend any courses for me to take that would benefit studying for MCATs? (killing two birds with one stone, so to speak)

I think for you the kicker would be Organic chemistry. Biology is pretty much memorization and I find Gen chem to be much more straight forward than Orgo.

Good luck!

Hey PM101ers!

What VR would you think is necessary to offset a 3.6 for McMaster? Would 12 be sufficient (along with a good CASPER)? This is for entry after third year, if it matters (I don't think McMaster discriminates against 3rd years)

I believe our own HBP has gotten an interview w/ a cGPA of roughly 3.6-3.7 (correct me if I'm wrong bud) and a 9 VR. Can you say exceptional CASPER?

So that said, shoot for that 12 but even with a lower VR you'll still have a shot to get an interview invite.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm a non-traditional applicant considering applying to medical school, to start in Fall 2012. Wanted to know what people think.

My gpa is 3.55, and my undergraduate degree is in International Relations. Currently I work in the developing world for a major global health foundation, focusing on HIV/AIDS control (this work is what got me interested in medical school - I want to specialize in infectious disease and continue to work internationally). Before that, I worked in management consulting.

I don't have any university classes in science, and don't have the ability to enroll in classes (I don't have time because of my job). I haven't taken the MCAT. If I did take it, I think I could probably do pretty well at the VR section, but would do horribly in the science sections.

I did some research, and it looks like Mac and Northern Ontario Medical School are possible options. Wanted to know what people thought of my chances for those schools?

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

Just hoping for some feedback

My first year GPA was 3.3, this year I'm around a 3.88. Hopefully I will do even better for 3rd and 4th years, I just stupidly didn't put in very much effort in first year and know I can do much better.

I have yet to write the MCAT.

My extracurriculars are:

-Running an ESL workshop for international students to UWO once a week (1 year)

-Teaching one-on-one ESL lessons with once a week (1 year)

-Volunteering in a lab (around 1 year)

-I work at a restaurant all year round, a couple shifts a week during school (3 years)

-I have a summer research job with a doctor at London Health Sciences this summer, where I will likely be able to get my name published.

-I volunteer once a week at the hospital (2 months)

Any ideas on different extracurriculars would be great! I feel like I'm currently lacking...

What are my chances

3.86 overall GPA from Ontario

over 3.9+ for best 2 years and completed all prereqs

After a few attempts my mcat is 30 overall but 8 in VR

ECs include extensive research, volunteering, club executive positions, international experiences

Any chance at McMaster, Alberta, Sask, U of T, Ottawa or Western?

assuming you apply with this mcat: zero chance at Western and Queens, pretty low chance at Mac, should be okay for UofT, decent for Ottawa (assuming your last-3yr weighted >3.85)... not sure about the other 2

Your chance at Mac is entirely dependent on your CASPer. I got it with a 3.68/9VR.

I doubt you have a chance as an OOP as Sask.

Probably slim chance at UofA. They give you a score on your MCAT, which is low relative to the OOP pool. They'll drop your worst year in GPA, but OOP is typically >3.95 after this. Your ECS might pull you through.

Hello all,

I'm a non-traditional applicant considering applying to medical school, to start in Fall 2012. Wanted to know what people think.

My gpa is 3.55, and my undergraduate degree is in International Relations. Currently I work in the developing world for a major global health foundation, focusing on HIV/AIDS control (this work is what got me interested in medical school - I want to specialize in infectious disease and continue to work internationally). Before that, I worked in management consulting.

I don't have any university classes in science, and don't have the ability to enroll in classes (I don't have time because of my job). I haven't taken the MCAT. If I did take it, I think I could probably do pretty well at the VR section, but would do horribly in the science sections.

I did some research, and it looks like Mac and Northern Ontario Medical School are possible options. Wanted to know what people thought of my chances for those schools?

Thanks!

not great at Mac because of your GPA, but I guess a very good mcat verbal (i.e. 12+) and solid CASper would give you a shot... not sure about Northern, but to the best of my knowledge, in general, unless you are from Northern Ontario, or an extremely rural town, chances are often quite low

cgpa: 3.59:(

not taken full course loads throughout uni...:(

mcat: 30S ...8 vr 10 bs 12 ps ..8 vr is quiet troublesome

EC's: volunteered as a tutor in a local high school (during 3rd year uni) for an year... cancer relay volunteer....volunteered in a hospital for 2 months general...got no ref. from there though... and lastly volunteered for 500+ hours as ressearch assistant, with 300+ hours of physician shadowing (part of my duties), 300+ hours or more of direct interactions with patients in outpatient clinics...administered questionnaires. sat through assessements...etc... and was a club exec for two clubs (one semester each) during uni... and small volunteering here or there...

what are *cries* my chances? and where? (oh i am an ontario resident, graduated from UofT) i'll be applying for the first time, though i have been taking an year off to build my profile...

cgpa: 3.59:(

not taken full course loads throughout uni...:(

mcat: 30S ...8 vr 10 bs 12 ps ..8 vr is quiet troublesome

EC's: volunteered as a tutor in a local high school (during 3rd year uni) for an year... cancer relay volunteer....volunteered in a hospital for 2 months general...got no ref. from there though... and lastly volunteered for 500+ hours as ressearch assistant, with 300+ hours of physician shadowing (part of my duties), 300+ hours or more of direct interactions with patients in outpatient clinics...administered questionnaires. sat through assessements...etc... and was a club exec for two clubs (one semester each) during uni... and small volunteering here or there...

what are *cries* my chances? and where? (oh i am an ontario resident, graduated from UofT) i'll be applying for the first time, though i have been taking an year off to build my profile...

breakdown of aGPA for 4 years plz

breakdown of aGPA for 4 years plz

year 1: 3.38 (full course load)

year 2: 3.82 (1 half course short of full load)

year 3: 3.48 (80% load - lol even then such a gpa :( )

year 4: 3.86 (i had full course load in beginning, but i had to drop a research course during winter session... :( )

one thing i've learned after this: slacking off sucks..procrastination truly destroys a person... and laziness is something that is a quiet "common" excuse yet it pretty much can ruin your future... i was just never motivated for med school... or anything per se..cuz i had chosen to do med becuz my parents had wanted me to...and then becuz i perceived this as something imposed on me, (even though they hadnt been that hardcore on the parental pressue zone), i'd just not been motivated..

but now, after my recent vol. experience, i truly do realise just wht a prestigious career this is..i mean i knew this before as well..but now i'm just so much more confident of myself (having actually committed for this long in a professional setting), i realise that i'd love to work in a hospital like health care setting, i'd love to have the knowledge to help these patients... it's like having this special and mysterious power...

and i don't want to go international guys...i really don't...yet again, i've already wasted one year (though i dont see it as wasted, as i've used it to actually start truly building my professional profile)... i graduated last year..and now i'm just worried my parents wud go berserk if i tell them i want to take another year off to apply again ..i'd missed last year's deadline for applications becuz i just knew i had no chance, with no references, no experience, nothing... but now i really do wanna apply and get into a CANADIAN med school! but i don't want to waste years and years in first gettign second undergrad degree then grad school and THEN MED.. =(

i'm just quiet freaked out right now...

*sigh* if only i'd been this serious and motivated in uni...

year 1: 3.38 (full course load)

year 2: 3.82 (1 half course short of full load)

year 3: 3.48 (80% load - lol even then such a gpa :( )

year 4: 3.86 (i had full course load in beginning, but i had to drop a research course during winter session... :( )

*sigh* if only i'd been this serious and motivated in uni...

Well, I don't know if you have much of a chance in the upcoming cycle unfortunately. You have a couple long shots (NOSM, Mac) though, so you might as well try (no harm in trying, and applying is a positive experience!).

But I think if you're now truly motivated for medicine, you should try to stop regretting the past. If "slacking off" for you was a 3.5cGPA from U of T and a 30S MCAT, then there is a lot of room to excel.

I think you're at a point where you have to choose if it's what you really want. If it's what you want, then get hungry. You will need to boost your GPA and will want to do two more years (maybe three). You may want to rewrite the MCAT. You will want to work on your extracurriculars. But honestly, if it's what you want, I believe that you can do it.

Perhaps consider doing something like a nursing degree, so no matter what you have a backup career to go to. And honestly... you may want to seriously reconsider your aversion to international schools. You'd probably get in next cycle. You would just have to resign yourself to potentially not returning to Canada for awhile.