Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

4th year student

GPA: 3.80

MCAT: 13/14/15 T (second-try)

Other: Lab volunteering (short-term); Summer research experience (no pubs.); 4th year thesis; 4 years Hosp. volunteering (3 very different places so I will split this up); 5 years nursing home volunteer recreation coordinator (big title, little responsibility but I won't say that, LOL); nursing home patient visitor (short-term); many years practicing karate with provinicial championships (ended just before uni. at age 18); member of a random club; security guard at a hospital (I wanted to become cop a couple of years ago); team labourer.

Applying to: Mac, Queens, UWO, UofT (wGPA 3.9), Calgary, Dalhousie, UofManitoba, UBC

why are you even asking...

edit: anyways... all i know about in Ontario schools - guaranteed interview at Queens and Western, extremely good chance at a Mac interview, unless you bomb CASper, and a decent shot at UofT (although your MCAT is useless there)... i'm pretty sure you could get interviews at top schools in the US as well if you applied

Just Graduated Undergrad from McMaster

Ontario Resident (Ottawa)

MCAT: 10BS, 11PS, 10VR, M

cGPA: 3.72

Year 1 - 3.53

Year 2 - 3.73

Year 3 - 3.85

Year 4 - 3.75

ECs - hospital volunteering, volunteering in Africa and Dominican, peer helping, lab volunteering and research, worked all throughout university, shadowed doctors, tutoring etc...

Do I have a chance in Canada considering my relatively low GPA and an M on my MCAT?

Am I too late to begin applying to the states where they don't look at the writing sample?

Going into 4th year:

GPA:

First year: 2.27

Second year: 3.92

Third year 3.83

MCAT: 11BS/10PS/10VR/Q

EC: Hosp volunteering, bit of research (no pubs)

Applying to Western/Queens/UofT/McMaster. Not sure about non-Ontario schools yet. But I suppose I'm late to Dal and UBC.

Year 1 - 3.53

Year 2 - 3.73

Year 3 - 3.85

Year 4 - 3.75

ECs - hospital volunteering, volunteering in Africa and Dominican, peer helping, lab volunteering and research, worked all throughout university, shadowed doctors, tutoring etc...

Do I have a chance in Canada considering my relatively low GPA and an M on my MCAT?

Am I too late to begin applying to the states where they don't look at the writing sample?

Your GPA is solid for schools like UWO and Queens, but the M on your MCAT will keep you from interviewing there due to their past cutoffs (as well as the VR score but that changes year to year). Toronto has an N as the WS cutoff but it is worth a shot there if you have a strong U of T GPA. Mac would also be a long shot, but with the 10 in VR and the GPA cut off it is also worth a try especially if you can do well on the CASPAR. I do not know much about how UOttawa will treat your GPA (did not apply there), except I know that they look at your past 3 years in consecutively higher weighting, so you would may have a good enough GPA for their Ottawa pool :) . I think you may have a shot at Calgary, they use a weighed formula of your two best years and a combo of your BS and VR in an algorithm, so if you have solid EC's and letters I would give that a try. If you do not get in this year I would recommend possibly taking the MCAT again. I also think it is quite late for American schools (rolling sucks in that sense).

Again though, you never know until you try :) You have decent marks in the last three years.

Year 1 - 3.53

Year 2 - 3.73

Year 3 - 3.85

Year 4 - 3.75

not a great shot at canada... for UofT, no chance unless your wGPA is much higher... essentially no chance at Mac - you'd have to rewrite the MCAT and probably get VR of 12+... you would have to rewrite the MCAT to have a shot at Western and possibly Queens (but likely not Queens, unless they lower their recent-2-year-GPA cut-off to 3.8)... maybe you have a chance at Ottawa (?)... not sure how easy it is from Ottawa residents, but I believe their cut-off is usually 3.7..... probably not much chance OOP in canada, but i'm not sure

with regards to the states, i don't know much, but i think you probably are too late in the cycle to apply and have a legit chance with those stats... could be wrong though

i would rewrite that MCAT if i were you... other people aiming for Canada are rewriting scores like 13 10 13 Q

Year 1 - 3.53

Year 2 - 3.73

Year 3 - 3.85

Year 4 - 3.75

You have a shot at Ottawa since you are from the Ottawa region.

You have a shot at U of T if their weighting formula applies to you and you meet it, but the M will place a red flag on your application (since their suggested WS score is N or better)

I would consider re-writing the MCAT

Going into 4th year:

GPA:

First year: 2.27

Second year: 3.92

Third year 3.83

MCAT: 11BS/10PS/10VR/Q

EC: Hosp volunteering, bit of research (no pubs)

Applying to Western/Queens/UofT/McMaster. Not sure about non-Ontario schools yet. But I suppose I'm late to Dal and UBC.

Your best bet would be Western or Queen's (if their MCAT cutoffs aren't the same as this year)

You may be a good candidate at U of T as well if their weighting formula applies to you (if you took a full course load each year, you can drop your 3 lowest FCE's, presumably mostly from your first year).

I'm assuming you are from Ontario though.

Your best bet would be Western or Queen's (if their MCAT cutoffs aren't the same as this year)

You may be a good candidate at U of T as well if their weighting formula applies to you (if you took a full course load each year, you can drop your 3 lowest FCE's, presumably mostly from your first year).

I'm assuming you are from Ontario though.

I am Ontario. Sadly. Hopefully I don't get screwed by MCAT.

Just finished second year.

Year 1: 3.97

Year 2: 3.97

MCAT: writing really late, so unable to decide with score in hand

EC:

2 years hosp. volunteering with patient interaction

2 years research experience with 1 publication (2nd author)

Exec for 4 clubs (promotion of health care awareness, promotion of self-confidence and mental wellness, diabetes awareness)

Involvement with tutoring for 4 years (1 year paid, 3 years volunteering)

1 year helping local community workshops for foreigners (bond building)

1 year helping out local school homework clubs

Hobbies:

Guitar

Badminton

Breakdancing

Applying to: UT, Mac, UO and really wish to get into University of Ottawa.

If the MCAT does not go well, would these experiences still make this year's application strong enough for Ottawa?

You definitely have a shot and should go for it. Whatever happens, it is win-win for you. There is a learning curve in making the OMSAS Application and complying with the specific requirements, e.g., Essay, autobio. of each med school. Going through this process will put you in good stead next year should you not get in. Moreover, should you receive one interview or more and not make it this cycle, the experience will be unbleievably helpful to you next year. And you may beat the odds and get in this cycle.

So, my adivce is proceed and don't get your hopes up where you are really, really hoping on getting in this cycle. Rather accept it as a marvelous opportunity for you to pave the way to apply next year. And then, you just may be pleasantly surprised as the applications go forward. Members are prepared to help you along the way. Best of luck!!

Though I posted this elsewhere, I wanted to get the perspective of Canadian Pre-meds as well, since that was predominantly a US discussion forum.

I have just completed my 2nd year at University of Toronto in Engineering, and realized that Medical School is where I want to be.

Ontario Resident

My cGPA so far is 3.56. (Had a bad 1st year)

And OMSAS is 3.545

I have none of the required pre-reqs yet, but plan to have them completed in due time. Does it make a difference that I am in Engineering? (since it is claimed - though I don't think I quite agree - that it is harder than other undergrad studies)

I have not yet done the MCAT's, so also help on what sort of MCAT scores I should be looking at, will be helpful.

In terms of EC, I have been playing intramural soccer for the past year and will be involved as the Treasurer for a club. Have a part time job, (don't know if that counts for anything).

Please give me ideas on what sort of other EC's I should be looking at as well.

PS: I realize there are a lot of questions, but I really would love to here all the suggestions to help me!

Finished a uwo biomedical science degree and would really appreciate some comments on my situation:

1st year: 3.9

2nd year: 3.9

3rd year: 3.98

4th year: 3.99

MCAT: I wrote it after second year before I really learned how to effectively study and got a 32R (11BS, 9VR, 12PS, R) and really didn't want to rewrite.

ECs: Decent ECs. Some research, some volunteering, lots of clubs (some exec), multiple non-science competition awards.

LORs: 1 from research PI, 1 biomed prof (both should be good), and one from an volunteer supervisor

I'm trying to narrow down which schools I should apply to. I know it's probably a lost cause with Western and Queens (9VR) so I'm trying to figure out where I'll have my best chances in Canada.

Finished a uwo biomedical science degree and would really appreciate some comments on my situation:

1st year: 3.9

2nd year: 3.9

3rd year: 3.98

4th year: 3.99

MCAT: I wrote it after second year before I really learned how to effectively study and got a 32R (11BS, 9VR, 12PS, R) and really didn't want to rewrite.

ECs: Decent ECs. Some research, some volunteering, lots of clubs (some exec), multiple non-science competition awards.

LORs: 1 from research PI, 1 biomed prof (both should be good), and one from an volunteer supervisor

I'm trying to narrow down which schools I should apply to. I know it's probably a lost cause with Western and Queens (9VR) so I'm trying to figure out where I'll have my best chances in Canada.

Ottawa - You have a near perfect GPA and balanced ECs.

Toronto - Same as above.

Queens - You should try because their cut-offs vary from year to year, so who knows, perhaps your 9VR might be sufficient.

UWO - Are you from the SWOMEN area? I think their MCAT cutoffs are lower if you're a resident of that area?

Basically, you want to apply as broadly as possible. It's an additional $75 to apply to each school, and you won't know until you try.

Good luck!

Ottawa - You have a near perfect GPA and balanced ECs.

Toronto - Same as above.

Queens - You should try because their cut-offs vary from year to year, so who knows, perhaps your 9VR might be sufficient.

UWO - Are you from the SWOMEN area? I think their MCAT cutoffs are lower if you're a resident of that area?

Basically, you want to apply as broadly as possible. It's an additional $75 to apply to each school, and you won't know until you try.

Good luck!

No go for Mac? I know they take verbal into account but is it a waste with a 9VR?

Though I posted this elsewhere, I wanted to get the perspective of Canadian Pre-meds as well, since that was predominantly a US discussion forum.

I have just completed my 2nd year at University of Toronto in Engineering, and realized that Medical School is where I want to be.

Ontario Resident

My cGPA so far is 3.56. (Had a bad 1st year)

And OMSAS is 3.545

I have none of the required pre-reqs yet, but plan to have them completed in due time. Does it make a difference that I am in Engineering? (since it is claimed - though I don't think I quite agree - that it is harder than other undergrad studies)

I have not yet done the MCAT's, so also help on what sort of MCAT scores I should be looking at, will be helpful.

In terms of EC, I have been playing intramural soccer for the past year and will be involved as the Treasurer for a club. Have a part time job, (don't know if that counts for anything).

Please give me ideas on what sort of other EC's I should be looking at as well.

PS: I realize there are a lot of questions, but I really would love to here all the suggestions to help me!

I understand that engineering is tough and high grades are hard to come by. It would apear that your GPA is not particularly competitive, although I believe McGill has accepted a student in your range. All is not lost as you can apply to schools that apply best 2 years or last two years, U/Ottawa has a weighted GPA where each successive year is weighted higher, but I don't think you make their cutoff (U/O does not use MCAT, nor does McGill, NOMS).

You need to try to pull your GPA up for the next two years. Is engineering your fallback, Plan B? IKf not, you may consider switching into another program from this year forward, but you do need a Plan B as not everybody makes it.

As for MCAT, you want the highest scores attainable by you. Check the various med schools on this forum to see what their cutoffs are. Regarding ECs, anythig that demonstrates your initiative, dedication, leadership, critical thinking and ideally, compassion. Do what interests you and try to help in the undergrad or wider commmunity, e.g., peer counselling, helping ESL undergrad students adjust, Big Brothers, a recreational therapy program for patients at a local hosptial where you can give 3-4 hours weekly, helping out an eldery or disabled neighbour doing good deeds like grocery shopping, picking up mail, chatting, taking the person for walks, etc., in other words, there is a wide range of activities, organized or unorganized. Perhaps you are involved in team sports where collaroation, leadership may come into play. Just remember, it all starts with GPA and so, this needs to be strong and you should not dilute your energy at the expense of GPA b/c, then, you are just spinning your wheels.