Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

I've been second guessing myself a lot lately so would love some feedback! :)

Here are my stats:

Just graduated from UofG in Biomedical sciences

1st year: 3.18

2nd year: 3.69

3rd year: 3.85 - only 4.75/5 credits though, so not a full course load :S

4th year: 3.95

cGPA = 3.68, weighted UofT GPA = 3.87, Ottawa WGPA = 3.87

Writing MCATs in July ... hopefully will ace these!!

Doing a 1 year coursework masters starting this Fall

ECs/awards/accomplishments - Member of Varsity figure skating team all 4 years (2 time OUA champions!), Coached and helped run a learn to skate program (2 years), Student athlete mentor (during 4th year) and chosen as mentor of the year by peers, Grade 8 piano with first class honours (multiple music scholarships in high school), Volunteered at a healthcare/rehab centre for 1 year during uni, entrance scholarship, 4th year research project, ran a half marathon last Oct (is this relevant? lol), did an exchange to Germany for 5 months in high school, and many high school awards/involvements - phys ed award, peer tutor, MVP of the soccer team, cross country team member, year book, band, volunteer service award, a few graduation scholarships

I've been second guessing myself a lot lately so would love some feedback! :)

Here are my stats:

Just graduated from UofG in Biomedical sciences

1st year: 3.18

2nd year: 3.69

3rd year: 3.85 - only 4.75/5 credits though, so not a full course load :S

4th year: 3.95

cGPA = 3.68, weighted UofT GPA = 3.87, Ottawa WGPA = 3.87

You look a viable candidate, however, there are some important questions to consider:

1) Are you eligible for Toronto's weighting formula, despite not having carried a full course load throughout your undergraduate degree?

2) Will you be eligible to take advantage of the best two-year GPA for Western, despite having one of your strong years with <5.0 credits?

3) Based on historical data, will your (future) MCAT scores make the cut-offs for Western and Queen's?

4) Will you be finished your Master's program, so that you can accept a potential offer of admission, next cycle?

You look a viable candidate, however, there are some important questions to consider:

1) Are you eligible for Toronto's weighting formula, despite not having carried a full course load throughout your undergraduate degree?

2) Will you be eligible to use best two-year GPA for Western, despite having one of your strong years with <5.0 credits?

3) Based on historical data, will your (future) MCAT scores make the cut-offs for Western and Queen's?

4) Will you be finished your Master's program, so that you can accept a potential offer of admission, next cycle?

Thanks for the reply!

1) After looking into this a bit more, I'm still not too sure, but it looks like it won't count. I'm not sure if I can get the weighted formula for just 3 years then, but I get the impression that that's probably not the case.... which really sucks because it's only a half of a 0.5 credit in one semester that I'm short! I know there's a letter you can submit with your application saying why you didn't take a full course load, but I didn't have a good reason... I simply didn't know and so took 2.25/2.5 credits one semester instead of overloading my semester by doing 2.75/2.5 credits... didn't think this was a problem since it was still considered full time. So frustrating!

2) The Western issue I've asked in another thread and this one seems as though it might be a bit flexible ... but I think I'm going to have to contact Western directly

3) Hopefully! ... only time can tell right now!

4) I'll be finished my masters early/mid-August next year ... I have no idea what requirements are for accepting an offer of admission. I figured that I'd be done just as med school starts, but I hadn't thought of this as posing a problem... Only thing I figured was that since my masters is not completed by a certain date that most med schools set, it simply won't really help my application too much and it's possible that my grades from my masters won't 'count' because it wouldn't be done in time (but at the same time wouldn't hurt it either).

Thanks for the reply!

1) After looking into this a bit more, I'm still not too sure, but it looks like it won't count. I'm not sure if I can get the weighted formula for just 3 years then, but I get the impression that that's probably not the case.... which really sucks because it's only a half of a 0.5 credit in one semester that I'm short! I know there's a letter you can submit with your application saying why you didn't take a full course load, but I didn't have a good reason... I simply didn't know and so took 2.25/2.5 credits one semester instead of overloading my semester by doing 2.75/2.5 credits... didn't think this was a problem since it was still considered full time. So frustrating!

2) The Western issue I've asked in another thread and this one seems as though it might be a bit flexible ... but I think I'm going to have to contact Western directly

4) I'll be finished my masters early/mid-August next year ... I have no idea what requirements are for accepting an offer of admission. I figured that I'd be done just as med school starts, but I hadn't thought of this as posing a problem... Only thing I figured was that since my masters is not completed by a certain date that most med schools set, it simply won't really help my application too much and it's possible that my grades from my masters won't 'count' because it wouldn't be done in time (but at the same time wouldn't hurt it either).

Regarding finishing your masters degree, you will want to plan to finish a bit early if you are hoping to apply for next year. Many schools require you to be finished BEFORE August, and you may have to confirm your intent to complete by then before you're granted an interview. Your supervisor will also have to provide a letter confirming that s/he knows you are applying and the date by which you will be finished.

...1) After looking into this a bit more, I'm still not too sure, but it looks like it won't count. I'm not sure if I can get the weighted formula for just 3 years then, but I get the impression that that's probably not the case.... which really sucks because it's only a half of a 0.5 credit in one semester that I'm short! I know there's a letter you can submit with your application saying why you didn't take a full course load, but I didn't have a good reason... I simply didn't know and so took 2.25/2.5 credits one semester instead of overloading my semester by doing 2.75/2.5 credits... didn't think this was a problem since it was still considered full time. So frustrating!

Yeah, your thinking is correct, the weighting formula is all-or-nothing: either it is applied to your GPA calculation, or it is not (i.e. it cannot be partly used for some undergraduate course work).

If you submit your application to Toronto as is, then the Admissions Office will likely not applied the formula; however, if you submit a letter, then who knows.

It's worth your while to submit a letter, because your cumulative GPA is not competitive for Toronto, but your (potential) weighted GPA would be.

Check out my reply to that thread, here. (I think that poster was referring to someone else's issue, not yours)

Just be aware of past cut-offs so you will know what scores will be competitive (e.g. Western introduced a VR=11 cut-off this cycle, which surprised [read: pissed off!] many applicants who would have otherwise received an interview).

Right, if you're going to start your application this summer (July 2010/OMSAS 2011), then you will have until January 2011-ish to submit additional materials related to your graduate work to Toronto (i.e. an additional 4 months following the application deadline for OMSAS 2011). This way, they can still get an idea of what you have accomplished, etc.

Just out of curiosity, what type of master's program are you planning on pursuing?

Hey everyone.

I was wondering if I should rewrite my MCAT and apply again this year.

I'm from UofT

My cGPA is 3.6

Without the summer courses it would be ~3.67

Highest two years is 3.86

MCAT: 9/7/O/10.

Should I rewrite or what? What are my chances and what should I get on the MCAT to have a good chance for an ACCEPTANCE and at which schools?

Rewrite... a 26O is not competitive.

Competitive for Canada should be: 11 in BS, 11 in VR, 10 in PS, and an R.

But I don't want to be too firm on that. I used to think that a 10VR and Q would be OK. It bit me in the ass.

...MCAT: 9/7/O/10.

Should I rewrite or what? What are my chances and what should I get on the MCAT to have a good chance for an ACCEPTANCE and at which schools?

You probably already know this, but that MCAT score, combined with your cGPA will almost assuredly result in you being denied an interview at all the MCAT-requiring Ontario medical schools.

This cycle, Western's VR cut-off (VR=11) and Queen's WS cut-off (WS=R), eliminated many otherwise qualified applicants.

Now that McMaster has introduced MCAT VR as a selection factor, depending on your cGPA, you're going to need a decent VR score.

Toronto's cut-offs have remained 9/9/N/9 for many years now.

At a bare minimum, an MCAT score of VR=11, PS=09 (10 to be really safe!), WS=R, BS=11, would probably be safe for next cycle; however, since these cut-offs are subject to change based on the quality of the applicant pool, it is difficult to predict with any certainty.

A balanced 90th percentile score (e.g. 33R, with 11s across) should be your aim! :)

Yeah, your thinking is correct, the weighting formula is all-or-nothing: either it is applied to your GPA calculation, or it is not (i.e. it cannot be partly used for some undergraduate course work).

If you submit your application to Toronto as is, then the Admissions Office will likely not applied the formula; however, if you submit a letter, then who knows.

It's worth your while to submit a letter, because your cumulative GPA is not competitive for Toronto, but your (potential) weighted GPA would be.

Check out my reply to that thread, here. (I think that poster was referring to someone else's issue, not yours)

Just be aware of past cut-offs so you will know what scores will be competitive (e.g. Western introduced a VR=11 cut-off this cycle, which surprised [read: pissed off!] many applicants who would have otherwise received an interview).

Right, if you're going to start your application this summer (July 2010/OMSAS 2011), then you will have until January 2011-ish to submit additional materials related to your graduate work to Toronto (i.e. an additional 4 months following the application deadline for OMSAS 2011). This way, they can still get an idea of what you have accomplished, etc.

Just out of curiosity, what type of master's program are you planning on pursuing?

I've sent emails to both Toronto and Western to get some clarification on the GPA as well as masters deadlines/details for Toronto... I have a feeling for Toronto that I'll have to apply as an undergraduate and not graduate since I won't be done by the June 30th deadline they have posted, but we'll see what they say!

I'm doing my masters in Human Health and Nutrition... and more specifically in Nutrition and Nutraceuticals. Not sure what sort of coursework project I'll be working on yet though.

OK, sounds good. Let us know what the schools say about your situation.

...I have a feeling for Toronto that I'll have to apply as an undergraduate and not graduate...

I think this is out of your control. If you embark on graduate studies while you complete/submit your application, you are automatically considered part of the graduate applicant pool (i.e. you cannot request to be considered an undergraduate applicant).

Hey Gryphon,

I also would find it interesting to see what U of T says about your weighting formula, I took 9 courses for pretty much my entire undergrad. I'm only allowed to use three of my undergrad years as it is at U of T and that includes those 9 courses in each year. I had 5 in fall and 4 in winter terms. I have what I think is very valid reason. Just cause my only 3 years with 9 courses/year is 3.82 but if I could drop one or two classes it would increase substantially. Have you been talking to leslie taylor to find this info out? Im just curious..

Hey Gryphon,

I also would find it interesting to see what U of T says about your weighting formula, I took 9 courses for pretty much my entire undergrad. I'm only allowed to use three of my undergrad years as it is at U of T and that includes those 9 courses in each year. I had 5 in fall and 4 in winter terms. I have what I think is very valid reason. Just cause my only 3 years with 9 courses/year is 3.82 but if I could drop one or two classes it would increase substantially. Have you been talking to leslie taylor to find this info out? Im just curious..

interesting... but wouldnt it be odd that you are just half a credit away from full course load each year? Wouldnt people usually have less credits if they had a really huge reason (half a credit doesnt seem like it would make that big a difference in ones life)

Hey Gryphon,

I sent an email just to the general med admissions email... but just got an email about it failing to deliver so I've now sent one to Leslie Taylor... I'll let you know what happens!

I sent an email just to the general med admissions email... but just got an email about it failing to deliver so I've now sent one to Leslie Taylor... I'll let you know what happens!

You sent an e-mail to this address (medicine.admiss@utoronto.ca) and it bounced?

Hey all, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what my chances are w/ the following stats:

Degree: B.Sc (going to 4th yr). Full course load throughout.

1st yr GPA: 3.35

2nd yr GPA: 3.45 (screwed over by 1FCE...otherwise GPA near 3.8)

3rd yr GPA: 3.84

cGPA: 3.53

UTGPA: 3.79 (weighted GPA)

MCAT: 38S (V: 12, B: 13, P: 13)

Research:

- 2 yrs research exp. in research lab, going for 3rd yr there (bio research, not med related)

- 1 publication (3rd author)

EC's:

- Founded student club on campus

- exec in other student orgs on campus

- Hospital volunteering for 4+ yrs (discontinued this yr, but will pick up)

- many awards (including ontario volunteer service award)

- many mentorship programs (leadership roles in all)

- did some international volunteering

I'm averaging around 3.85 over my last 3 semesters, so I'm expecting around 3.9-4.0 in terms of GPA for my 4th yr. But I'm concerned about my low cGPA. What are my chances for Queens, Western, UT, etc.?

Should I consider a 5th yr or a masters program of some sort?

Thanks!

With those MCAT stats, all you have to do is get something like a 3.75 in 4th year and you should be receiving interviews for Queens and Western next year.

While your cGPA is low, your strong verbal score and autobiographical sketch could get you an interview at Mac.

For U of T, your great research experience/production is a huge plus. Your stellar MCAT won't be of much help as U of T only looks at the MCAT as a flag. As for your wGPA, it's a bit low but with a good 4th year you could get it into the 3.8s which is, at the very least, where you should be.

If Canada doesn't work out, I'm *sure* there are many schools in the States that would love your 38S ;)

Good luck.

Hey all, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what my chances are w/ the following stats:

What are my chances for Queens, Western, UT, etc.?

Pending a strong fourth year academic performance, Queen's and Western should definitely be viable options.

Your cumulative GPA is not competitive for McMaster, based on data from previous cycles. Although the cut-off is GPA=3.00 (OMSAS), so your chances are not zero.

For Toronto, based on your information it's difficult to predict. If your c/wGPA was <3.6, then I could say your chances were slim, if not impossible. You should know, however, that the average accepted GPA of the past few classes has been ~3.9 (with weighting, if applicable).