Premed 101 Forums

Official Interview Invite Thread for 2008-2009

Classic

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would sell my first born for CCLCM (probably not, but still). Mayo, too.

Yale, Vandy, Pritzker, Duke, JHU, Penn, WashU - they can fight for my third born.

Oh God, I just want some interviews. Anywhere. I don't care. This process is so draining.

Alastriss, depends on the school. WashU took about 20 days, and only fixed the issue because I actually called them and told them I had sent my letters three weeks ago through interfolio. Same with Case Western. Everywhere else, it was around 3-5 days.

Hey all, So I made this spreadsheet with all the schools, whether I submitted or not, what's missing, etc and the website hyperlink so I can check my application status, it definitely speeds up checking my status for us obsessive compulsives.

Question: Do all schools send you an e-mail saying you are complete?

You must've had a blast making the spreadsheet.

No, seriously, because I love to work on something related to med school application, it's a nice relief from the wait.

I think most schools that I applied to sent me an email saying that my application is complete or at least successfully submitted.

So I've been trying to estimate my chances based on acceptance rates as stated on USNEWs.

I added up the acceptance rates of the thirteen schools I'm applying to and I got 81.3% as my acceptance rate at any one US medical school.

IT sounds awesome, but I think its validity is disputable.

If I add in the Canadian schools, I think I might be able to reach 100%.

schnauzr, You can't add the probabilities of events like that.

You have to look at the chances of you failing or succeeding. Lets do probability of failing:

So lets say that you applied to 3 schools, with a 5% chance of admission each. You can't say that you have a 15% chance of succeeding, rather:

100% - X, where X = probability of not getting anywhere and thus 100% - x = probability of getting somewhere.

X is calculated: 0.857, so your probability of getting in is less than 15%, closer to 14.3%

It's completely wrong, regardless. Taking these percentages assumes that it's a randomized process. It isn't. Some people will get a dozen acceptances, while others won't get a single one. If this was random chance, and the average rate was 5% per school, then someone getting into that many schools would have the odds of (0.05)^12 to do so. Clearly, this isn't the case.

Archived