Premed 101 Forums

Official Interview Invite Thread for 2008-2009

Classic

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Retsage, your stats are better than mine, but no love from Case yet? How's your research?

Two years in a visual psychophysics lab, one year in a neuroscience lab. No pubs/abstracts/posters, though. So, worse, I guess. Still, not too bad. I'm not sure why I'm getting no love. I hope it has to do with the fact that I applied to both CCLCM and Case. Might take longer so that they can synchronize interview dates.

I hope so, at least. :(

I hope you get some luv man, seriously you deserve it. I had some posters/abstracts but those are far from being papers. I think we are on par for research, but you have 2 mcat points on me, is your score balanced? hows your VR? im at 11 11 R 12.

Its tough nomatter what stage you are, im hoping my stats can get me through the door and not just to the interview stage. Hopefully my early interview can pull me through..this school looks totally sick. I hope we all get into dece schools in the states. Then we will really be walking into our Cdn interviews feeling like we got a 9 inch C*** (crudly and figuratively, of course. I know there are females here. It was also a tribute to Boiler Room :D).

Lol, I thought you were a girl all this time. :P

I'm balanced enough. 13/12/11 (PS/VR/BS) S.

And yeah, if I could get even a single acceptance, I'd be able to go into my interviews knowing I had a serious backup. No pressure at all. Just relaxation. Hell, if I got into CCLCM (not likely), I'd probably go to other interviews just to see if I can get in - no way I turn down free tuition, an absolutely amazing research intensive program, and connection to one of the best hospitals in the world. Case is pretty top-notch awesome as well. Probably among my top-ten choices. I'm really, really hoping to get interviewed there, at Dartmouth, and Yale. I dislike big cities, I really dig smaller, more relaxed towns. Hiking ftw.

In other news, I wish I had a nine inch ****.

Lol, I thought you were a girl all this time. :P

I'm balanced enough. 13/12/11 (PS/VR/BS) S.

And yeah, if I could get even a single acceptance, I'd be able to go into my interviews knowing I had a serious backup. No pressure at all. Just relaxation. Hell, if I got into CCLCM (not likely), I'd probably go to other interviews just to see if I can get in - no way I turn down free tuition, an absolutely amazing research intensive program, and connection to one of the best hospitals in the world. Case is pretty top-notch awesome as well. Probably among my top-ten choices. I'm really, really hoping to get interviewed there, at Dartmouth, and Yale. I dislike big cities, I really dig smaller, more relaxed towns. Hiking ftw.

In other news, I wish I had a nine inch ****.

I'm all about the hiking towns too. Apparently Virginia is nice for hiking, they have a great national park along with the skyline drive.

Now if you don't get an interview, I will feel like I got mine by fluke! I actually heard that CCLCM and Case actually do talk to each other to coordinate an interview date together.

And I am with you Retsage - there are so many programs in the US that have amazing research and international health opportunities not found in canada. I don't know, but based on the interviews I've had in Canada (and this is esp. true about western i found) they don't seem to be entirely enthusiastic about physicians doing a lot of research - they just want them out there especially in rural communities. Definitely more enthusiastic in the states. I think I will take the time to explore all the programs in more depth this year though.

CCLCM is a very special, five-year program that's incredibly research-intensive. Free tuition, as well.

From their website:

CCLCM is a distinct program within the Case School of Medicine with a curriculum designed to train graduates who will have excellent clinical skills, expertise and experience in research, and a passion for scientific inquiry. Upon completion of the 5-year curriculum, you will graduate with an M.D. degree with Special Qualification in Biomedical Research.

Highlights:

* Small class size

* Non-competitive learning environment – no grades

* Student-centered learning experience

* 5 year course of study with adequate time for a substantive research project

* Last 3 years of study customized to match your research interests, clinical skills, and professional goals

* A physician advisor and a research advisor to guide your successful progress

* A basic science curriculum that is organ system based and linked to relevant clinical experiences

* Clinical experiences beginning in Year 1 and integrated throughout the curriculum to ensure you will enter a future residency with excellent clinical skills

* A graduate education in medicine with problem-based learning (PBL) sessions, interactive seminars and laboratories aimed at developing in-depth problem solving skills

* Broad opportunities for basic/translational and clinical research

* Patient volume and diversity that provide outstanding clinical training

* Close interaction with clinical and research faculty

* State-of-the-art educational, clinical, and research resources

As a CCLCM student, you will have access to all of the resources of the Cleveland Clinic, one of the finest health care institutions in the world. You will have the opportunity to practice medicine with world-renowned physicians who excel in their respective fields and to conduct research alongside investigators working on the cutting edge of medical science. As a student in a program of the Case School of Medicine, you will be enrolled in one of the top medical schools in the country and a leading independent research university.

Ranked among the top 4 hospitals in the country, the Cleveland Clinic is recognized for its outstanding clinical care and its commitment to academic excellence. The Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute ranks among the top research institutions in the country for NIH funding. In education, the Cleveland Clinic sponsors one of the largest graduate medical education programs in the country with more than 900 residents and fellows in a broad range of specialties making it the 5th largest training facility in the United States.

Faculty of the Cleveland Clinic are among the nation’s leaders in academic medicine and are responsible for more than 3,000 scientific publications each year. State of the Art research (600,000 sq. ft.) and education (250,000 sq. ft.) facility provide outstanding support of resources in faculty and trainee academic activities. This commitment to the highest quality patient care, research, and education makes the Cleveland Clinic an ideal setting to train physicians dedicated to ensuring the translation of scientific advances into clinical application.

Basically, it's my super reach school. I don't have a chance in hell, but it's nice to dream.

Alastriss, I went away very, very unimpressed with Western. I agree, they want rural doctors primarily, and research is very much a counter to that, since you cannot do much in the ways of it while living in Podunk, Ontario. Mind you, if I had gotten in, I would have obviously gone and been happy to, but it was very much my last choice between it, Queen's (loved this place so much), and U of T.

U of T, though, research heavy or not, had the worst environment of the three. One of the leaders who was leading the tour asked me what were I was from and what my major was, I told her Psychology at York, and she looked me straight in the eyes and said "oh, the backdoor to medicine." Christ. You know, it's not that I'm very sensitive - you say that to me on any other day and I'll laugh and probably agree with you. But on my interview day, when I'm already nervous as ****? All I could think was "**** you, sweetheart." The only reason I ranked it above Western is because my sister goes there and it would have broken her heart if I got in and didn't go. If I had gotten into there and Queen's, it would have been a tough choice. Thank goodness I didn't get into either, huh? :P

The other students there too, yikes. I really, really did not care for them. In my Western interview, I met awesome people. In my Queen's interview, I met REALLY awesome people. At U of T? Not a single person worth getting to know.

CCLCM is a very special, five-year program that's incredibly research-intensive. Free tuition, as well.

From their website:

CCLCM is a distinct program within the Case School of Medicine with a curriculum designed to train graduates who will have excellent clinical skills, expertise and experience in research, and a passion for scientific inquiry. Upon completion of the 5-year curriculum, you will graduate with an M.D. degree with Special Qualification in Biomedical Research.

Highlights:

* Small class size

* Non-competitive learning environment – no grades

* Student-centered learning experience

* 5 year course of study with adequate time for a substantive research project

* Last 3 years of study customized to match your research interests, clinical skills, and professional goals

* A physician advisor and a research advisor to guide your successful progress

* A basic science curriculum that is organ system based and linked to relevant clinical experiences

* Clinical experiences beginning in Year 1 and integrated throughout the curriculum to ensure you will enter a future residency with excellent clinical skills

* A graduate education in medicine with problem-based learning (PBL) sessions, interactive seminars and laboratories aimed at developing in-depth problem solving skills

* Broad opportunities for basic/translational and clinical research

* Patient volume and diversity that provide outstanding clinical training

* Close interaction with clinical and research faculty

* State-of-the-art educational, clinical, and research resources

As a CCLCM student, you will have access to all of the resources of the Cleveland Clinic, one of the finest health care institutions in the world. You will have the opportunity to practice medicine with world-renowned physicians who excel in their respective fields and to conduct research alongside investigators working on the cutting edge of medical science. As a student in a program of the Case School of Medicine, you will be enrolled in one of the top medical schools in the country and a leading independent research university.

Ranked among the top 4 hospitals in the country, the Cleveland Clinic is recognized for its outstanding clinical care and its commitment to academic excellence. The Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute ranks among the top research institutions in the country for NIH funding. In education, the Cleveland Clinic sponsors one of the largest graduate medical education programs in the country with more than 900 residents and fellows in a broad range of specialties making it the 5th largest training facility in the United States.

Faculty of the Cleveland Clinic are among the nation’s leaders in academic medicine and are responsible for more than 3,000 scientific publications each year. State of the Art research (600,000 sq. ft.) and education (250,000 sq. ft.) facility provide outstanding support of resources in faculty and trainee academic activities. This commitment to the highest quality patient care, research, and education makes the Cleveland Clinic an ideal setting to train physicians dedicated to ensuring the translation of scientific advances into clinical application.

Basically, it's my super reach school. I don't have a chance in hell, but it's nice to dream.

Alastriss, I went away very, very unimpressed with Western. I agree, they want rural doctors primarily, and research is very much a counter to that, since you cannot do much in the ways of it while living in Podunk, Ontario. Mind you, if I had gotten in, I would have obviously gone and been happy to, but it was very much my last choice between it, Queen's (loved this place so much), and U of T.

U of T, though, research heavy or not, had the worst environment of the three. One of the leaders who was leading the tour asked me what were I was from and what my major was, I told her Psychology at York, and she looked me straight in the eyes and said "oh, the backdoor to medicine." Christ. You know, it's not that I'm very sensitive - you say that to me on any other day and I'll laugh and probably agree with you. But on my interview day, when I'm already nervous as ****? All I could think was "**** you, sweetheart." The only reason I ranked it above Western is because my sister goes there and it would have broken her heart if I got in and didn't go. If I had gotten into there and Queen's, it would have been a tough choice. Thank goodness I didn't get into either, huh? :P

The other students there too, yikes. I really, really did not care for them. In my Western interview, I met awesome people. In my Queen's interview, I met REALLY awesome people. At U of T? Not a single person worth getting to know.

Man I feel you about western. My interview there was not that bad, but I definitely came off as research oriented and I think that may be why I didn't "fit in". As for my final questions:

How is research integrated into the western curriculum, is it emphasized at all? Answer from Physician: ...Not really.

Do Physicians who choose to practice rural medicine have the opportunity to participate in research...well...no not really.

Thanks!

Psychology being the backdoor to medicine? wtf wtf wtf?! How can anyone say that? Maybe its good that we are exploring other programs outside Canada. I loved queen's as well, the people were AWESOME. The only thing that held me back is that now I am going on my 5th year in kingston, which might just be a wee bit too much. Retsage, I sincerely wish you the best of luck with the CCLCM and Case. Make sure to keep me posted about your results, I think you are definitely definitely qualified. And yes, I just confirmed that CCLCM and Case western do talk together to coordinate interview dates at the same time, so that may be the hold-up *Sending positive vibes your way..and to all other canadians!!*

Archived